07.09a: The Junior Tournament

The goings on of courts
Draylen
Lunatic

Re: 07.09a: The Junior Tournament

Post by Draylen »

(sorry it's been so long, it's been crazy.)

The group of goblin children are also being stalked by a moving dark patch, which is especially noticeable in the snow glare. It lifts up slightly and sees Alys, and comes over to pounce. <[Fellow Dragon!]> it breathes, looking excited as only a moving spot of inky blackness can*. "Aibne, Aibne!" the bear gets pounced on by the children."I heard you went into shadow!" "Did you got attacked while in shadow?" "I bet it was a dragon!" "I bet it was a giant lizard!" I bet it was a kra'klureth**!" "Nuh-uh!" "Ya-huh!" "Aiiiiiibne!!!"

The bear just blinks and sighs good-naturedly. "Word spreads fast," he muses to Alys, shaking his head slightly. "Kids, I'll tell you what. You work and help me catalogue all of today's adventures, and I'll tell you all about what happened. Including every single explosion. But, you have to make sure to report everything honestly," he says as the children start clambering over him, much like had been happening to Grind previously. "How in lightning did they find out already, though?" he'll grumble, mostly to Alys. "I didn't even know we were leaving this morning until we left."

-----
*That is to say, poorly, but with great enthusiasm.
**A type of subterranean abomination roughly like a land-kraken. They're very uncommon in most shadows, but somehow everyone's heard of them.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys smiles at the shadowy dragon, "<Hello again. How has your day been?>"*

To Aibne, she comments, "Rumors travel quickly, particularly in packs. Given the state in which we arrived this afternoon, it is not an unreasonable assumption."

_____
* <Tags used to denote conversation in Draconic.>
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

Aibne tells the children a story that bears little resemblance to actual events - something about giant exploding fire beetles.

<The sun-period has gone quite well! We never get light like this where I'm from - it's so sharp and bouncy! What's this soft-ice anyway?> he asks, playfully batting a paw at the ground, spraying the surroundings with more snow. Abruptly, the shadow coalesces into a dragon-shape again, and Endros smiles.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"Snow," Alys replies. "<It's fairly common in colder climates, or higher altitudes, though the local mountains aren't quite tall enough to have snow year-round. There are a number of varieties, differing in density and stickiness - sometimes it can be tough enough to walk on, and sometimes it simply serves to conceal the terrain beneath it, which can make for a nasty surprise if you have to land in unfamiliar territory. Of course, here and now, it mostly serves as a toy; I'm sure someone has introduced you to the notion of throwing snowballs...>"
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

<Snowball? What's a-> he starts to breath, before he gets pelted with an icy compact missile, exploding harmlessly against his scales. He jumps into the sky, tenebrous wings holding him aloft. <COLD. COLDCOLDCOLD.>
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"<Quite>," Alys replies, and casually side-steps a mis-aimed snowball. "<I recommend not getting hit. You may also find some value in altitude - there's a limit to how far up someone can throw a snowball, but no limit on how far you can drop one. Of course, that's not particularly sporting...>"
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

<Sporting is for losers!> he responds, giggling a little, as Aibne ducks off from the children. "Um, Alys..." he says softly, tapping her shoulder very lightly. "Later tonight, after the games? If you're busy, it's not that big a deal, but we can start, at least."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"<Sporting,>" Alys comments, "<Is for games that one wishes to play more than once with any particular opponent, for additional challenge in games one has already mastered, and for practice at competing in less than ideal conditions. To give the appearance that your opponent had a chance is often a far more interesting challenge than simply winning. Of course, this particular conflict may not meet any of those criteria, in which case, bombs away!>"

To Aibne, she nods, "I may have some plans, but nothing that would interfere."
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

Post by ShadowOfPreservation »

A medium sized quadruped purple dragon, bedecked with a few ornate silver accoutrements that are somewhere between jewelry and barding, makes her way over to join the pair watching the escalating snowball fight.

"It's nice to see them enjoying themselves, carefree" Lyra says, watching as the dark green dragon takes advantage of his natural talents, dodging easily away from a number of well thrown frozen missiles. "And it's nice to see a more normal competition in general." Her gaze wanders momentarily to the remaining wreckage of the last joust. "Maybe we can add air races or something next year." She settles her wings as if the mere thought makes her want to take to the sky. "On a more serious note, I'm glad you're both OK."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys nods. "At least a demonstration of acrobatics would be good."