07.08f Upside Down

The goings on of courts
khadjair
Lunatic

Re: 07.08f Upside Down

Post by khadjair »

Cameron considers this for a time. "i'm not sure... I'm ready to believe that. The life I led before I walked the Pattern is in my memory, therefore it is real... but it was real before then, too." he walks and talks, the lanscape slowly shifting, going from coastal scrub to a deep primeval forest. The air goes from a hot ummer to a crisp autumn, thick oaks yieldig to pines, then an incline walking up a mountain.

"It's an impressive piece of work. And I promise.. I'll do what I can to help you eventually walk the full Pattern. Once we know it's not going to kill you. I -like- having you around and I... don't know what I'd do if something happened to you." He looks up ahead, there's the scent of a fire in the cool air, and the trail bears the signs of travel.

"Wherever we're going, I think we're there..."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

What greets you a short way into the woods is a clearing, and a wooden palisade, not unlike the one in Ht'Gon. This is only one log thick though, and set around a small mountain village. Maybe six or seven buildings on the inside through the main gate which is open in the daytime. The scent of fire is coming from two buildings. One which is clearly a tavern and one which seems to be a forge. A few minotaur children seem to be playing in the square in the middle of town, around a fountain that has been turned off for the winter.
khadjair
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

Cameron blinks and walks up to the gate, trying to not be too obtrusive.

"Hello?" he asks aloud, trying to get attention without seeming threatening. "I have come from a long way away, and I seek lodging and perhaps to speak with your smith."

He tries to seem friendly and unthreatening. With humans that might have been difficult but with minotaurs.. he must only be about the size of an adolescent.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

There is a small discussion among the children, and one hurries into the smith's place while another heads to a nearby church. It's only about 30 seconds before an elder minotaur wearing a priest's outfit and carrying a two-handed (for a 9' minotaur) battle-axe emerges from the church. He snorts, and looks you and Osmund over.

He bellows, "I heard this day would come. Emissaries from elsewhere to take our prized community smith on a quest. I intend to chal-"

His words are cut short by a flying roundhouse-kick that Osmund lands in the minotaur's chest, knocking the elder about a dozen feet, and sending him skidding along the cobblestone ground.

Osmund will ask, "Now that we have that out of the way; Shouldn't this be his choice?"

The elder minotaur priest will nod slowly.
khadjair
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

Cameron just stares dumbfounded at Osmund and the situation that jut happened.

"That... wasn't very diplomatic. Though.. .expedient, I guess." He pads over to offer to help the elder minotaur up.

"I... er... you're correct. it would like to meet the smith if I may. See if he wants to go on the quest that we have to offer." He eyes Osmund with even more respect - some part of him knows that he could have done just as much if not more with his own skills, but the inherent brutality and efficiency of it all was shocking.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

An albino minotaur who seems to radiate a magnetic charisma emerges from the smithy. "What's the commotion?" he will ask... before looking at the downed priest being helped up by an orc. "Otherworlders? You have come to offer me a quest then?" He looks at all of you. "And Father Stormroar decided to argue with you about it, huh?" He sighs, somehow managing to look pouty and flex at the same time.
khadjair
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

Cameron just stares for a moment then blinks to clear his head. "Ah, yes... He wanted to challenge, but my companion... saw it coming and finished it before it bgan. o I'm here... It's an adventure, of sorts. Off-world, definitely... I need an assistant, a skilled smith, metal and/or stone, and there are... many wonders to be learned. Room and board are, of course, included, and there will be journeys to acquire materials an so on..." He coughs a little. "So it might nto be as adventurous as all that...."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

The albino will extend a hand. "Uh, good to meet you. I'm Zunkar, sorcerer-smith of Beriso. It sounds like this is not what you were expecting. We haven't had orcs here in..." He will look to Father Stormroar...

"1500 years," the priest will state, kicking his axe back into his hands with one foot, and putting it aside.

Zunkar will continue. "A long time. I assume you didn't survive the Phoenix*, but came from elsewhere?" He will smile. "I suspect the town is upset as I'm the only smith in 50 miles who can work mithril."

Post by khadjair »

At the mention of Phoenix Cameron will blanch a little, staring. "I guess... that would explain a few things.."

He snaps back to his senses and shakes Zunkar's hand, feeling dwarfed by the brute before him. "I would not wish to inconvenience your people, so I will not try and make this anything but a request and entreaty. I need a skilled assistant in a distant world, who will... well, I believe there may be kingdoms forged from my hammer" and with this he hefts the Star of Maponna for a moment, "and I have already committed to far more than I am capable of tackling on my own, though in fairness through no fault of my own."

"It is also, if need be, easy enough to return here I believe, though I will warn that time is.. strange, so it might be longer or shorter than we intend between visits. If that should color your decision in any way."

"And should you come, you will be provided tools as you require, so you can leave those things that don't hold personal value here for whomever will assume your position here."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Well, only albinos have the innate magic at the moment. Others can learn, but usually they don't worry about having smithing talents." Zunkar will state. "Uh, well, perhaps we can discuss it over dinner? I'd want to finish the spears I am making at least."

He will smile warmly. "So, what is this land like?" He asks, leading you into the nearby tavern, and a table in the corner.