07.01i: The Seventh Winter (Table in the Corner)

The goings on of courts
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

Re: 07.01i: The Seventh Winter (Table in the Corner)

Post by ShadowOfPreservation »

"Competition is fine and can be enjoyable but losing a duel doesn't mean the other person was right! Not that I have enough experience here to grasp how the system really works and how effective it is. It just seems like it'd be far more productive to compromise or negotiate rather than prove one's point by force."

Lyra thanks her server and sets her drawings aside, looking troubled as she stirs her soup.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Morgana nods. "Yes, hence the need to have benign leaders. The problem is... well... any one of us could raze Amber to the ground within a few days if no one stopped us. Even with the fact that nothing works here. No gunpowder, no electronics, nothing mass damage-wise. When we have that much power, we are the only things that can stop us."
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

Rasanam blinks, and mutters, "Wait... that can't be right?" Then he flips to a new page in his sketchbook and starts filling it with arcane formulae and design sketches for a form that's apparently fast, and armored, and at least mostly fireproof and magic-resistant.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Morgana will frown. "Sorry to make you nervous. We are really powerful. I mean, It might take me a day, but I could probably make myself an invincible set of armor and increase my size ten-fold. If no one were to stop me, it wouldn't take much for me to trounce the city at that point. I think Darnell may have planned a city siege at some point. Plus, there's only a few members of the guards that could hope to actually do more than delay him with a blade."
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

"No one here would actually want to do anything like that though, right? If not and the city still needs defenses above and beyond what those present can immediately muster, why not go ahead and create some invincible armor anyway? I certainly wouldn't mind some impressive dragon barding. Other defenses would really depend on what we'd be facing but having more mages here would be a good start for many reasons. Then we'd need aquatic and aerial forces and internal security to defend against spies and saboteurs."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Internal security might be helpful. We don't have too many guards that are properly trained. And certainly none that are used to this sort of world." Morgana will think, "You'll want to talk to Rolf, Rochard and Will. They're... sort of the head guards here. Or... They are the head guard? Collectively they occupy that position."
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

Rasanam looks up from designing a spell (something to do with large-scale countermagic), and asks "Castle guard, right? Who leads the city guard? Or Rebma or Ht'gon?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Morgana thinks. "Uh, the city guard is divided by district with no unifying group. Although Jericho might know if there's something unofficial. For Rebma, I am not sure. For Ht'Gon, that would be Grind, Bonebreaker of the Grendal tribe. He's... strong but not all that knowledgeable about tactics."
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

Lyra starts on the 3rd course, much more satisfied with the fare. "We'll certainly need a unified group. The Castle may be the center of things but we'll need information to flow between each of the courts to make sure all remain safe. That should also foster a sense of unity. It sounds as if I should speak with Darnell and Lady Alys..." Lyra breaks off, turning to watch the drama that is Rogbar unfold. Lyra can't help but smile at his antics in trying to impress Alystrakos. "I liked the ice rose better..." The need to sketch more overtakes her and she quickly takes a few more bites before setting about sketching Rogbar in a gallant "puss in boots" gesture, ice rose in one outstretched paw.
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

"It was certainly less dangerous. I'm not sure trying to cultivate that thing is a good idea... I suppose Asai probably knows what she's doing, though."