07.04b: Black Horse Race

The goings on of courts
User avatar
Joshua
Gibbering
Posts: 2985
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:59 pm

07.04b: Black Horse Race

Post by Joshua »

The contender, henceforth known as the Black-Horse knight, enters a carriage with a bodyguard and heads into town. After a short trip, he ends up at the merchant's guild, and heads inside with said bodyguard. (Unless someone wants to attack the carriage.)

Ossian (as an eagle) is observing from the sky.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin
Posts: 2278
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:50 pm

Re: 07.04b: Black Horse Race

Post by Wyvern »

Alystrakos races along, her dog Tinder at her side, matching the carriage for speed even as she flickers from one rooftop to the next - literally teleporting to avoid even the slightest chance of being seen by her quarry, navigating by Ossian's flight above.

Indeed, the only person in a position to see her is Ossian, - but the Black-Horse Knight seems to know he's being followed regardless.

At the merchant's guild, she pauses a moment, mentally reviewing the building's official floor plan and comparing that to the actual building - before flickering one more time from the roof to an "abandoned" attic room designed to hold goods the guild would rather be able to deny knowing about.

It's also conveniently located above the guild's inner lobby; an excellent place from which to eavesdrop on the supposedly private conversations of, say, a recently arrived nobleman.
Last edited by Wyvern on Fri May 16, 2014 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Joshua
Gibbering
Posts: 2985
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:59 pm

Re: 07.04b: Black Horse Race

Post by Joshua »

The conversation is filled with a lot of trade-double-speak. The implications is that the knight, whose name is Odin, is representing a foreign land. He says he needs to attend the ball in order to obtain permission to trade in Amber. And, of course, he is implying but not offering that in return for arranging an invite, he might allow the guild-master first attempt at negotiations.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin
Posts: 2278
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:50 pm

Re: 07.04b: Black Horse Race

Post by Wyvern »

Alys listens long enough to get the point, and then sends Tinder back up to the roof with a message for Ossian, explaining what she's overheard (so far), and adding:

We both have places to be relatively soon. So if he wants to be treated as a foreign diplomat, I'm inclined to humor him; invite him to the castle and let Quin or the guard captains watch him until the Ball.
User avatar
Joshua
Gibbering
Posts: 2985
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:59 pm

Re: 07.04b: Black Horse Race

Post by Joshua »

Tinder will return with a short note.

I will send him the invite personally. -Ossian
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin
Posts: 2278
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:50 pm

Re: 07.04b: Black Horse Race

Post by Wyvern »

Alys will stick around, unobtrusively, until Odin's been safely deposited at Castle Amber, but won't interfere further.

Which means this thread should probably skip ahead to Odin arriving at the castle, and what sort of greeting he and his bodyguard get there.
User avatar
Joshua
Gibbering
Posts: 2985
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:59 pm

Re: 07.04b: Black Horse Race

Post by Joshua »

Short of it: Ossian arrives with a formal invite for Odin. Odin is 'politely escorted' by an armed guard (including all 3 of the big-wigs) 'for his own protection'. Dworkin greets Odin personally at the gate. The knight goes white, but allows himself to be lead inside, through a few corridors and up stairs, to Dworkin's study with doors slamming shut leaving Alys, Ossian and Odin's bodyguard not invited in. (Although, the palace guards are not allowed into the meeting either.)
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin
Posts: 2278
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:50 pm

Re: 07.04b: Black Horse Race

Post by Wyvern »

"Well." Alys pauses for a moment, as if searching for something insightful to add. Then she shakes her head and turns to the bodyguard, "Right then. So, who are you, how long have you been in Amber, and do you have an outfit suitable for this evening's festivities?"
Krajk
Needs a Guide
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 1:10 am

Re: 07.04b: Black Horse Race

Post by Krajk »

The bodyguard frowns at the door as it's slammed shut, then gives a phlegmatic shrug and leans back against the wall opposite the doors, at least outwardly seeming relaxed and unconcerned. Alys' initial vocalization draw no more response than a quick flick of his eyes, but the rapid fire questions draw (almost*) his full attention. After a moment's consideration, though whether this is of Alys or her questions is unclear, he says, "Krajk, same length of time as Odin, and that depends on how ostentatious you want an unaffiliated merc to be." One corner of his mouth quirks upward a barely noticeable increment - he's being contrary and he knows it.

(*To anyone without Amber warfare, which I think is everyone except maybe the guards, it looks like his full attention. It's not.)
User avatar
Joshua
Gibbering
Posts: 2985
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:59 pm

Re: 07.04b: Black Horse Race

Post by Joshua »

"Right..." Ossian says. "Alys... did you want the honor of dealing with our guest? I have a meeting that I am a little late for. My suggestion? See if the coat room off the waiting room has clothing. If Dworkin invited Odin, there should be clothes for his guests."

He will shake his head*. "If you desire, I will have Rolf stay with you until my meeting is over. I will be just upstairs."
_______________
*: Ossian is clearly stressed by conflicting commitments.
Post Reply