07.03: Shadow of the Mountain

The goings on of courts
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

Re: 07.03: Shadow of the Mountain

Post by ShadowOfPreservation »

"My thanks, Aibne, Raven" Lyra replies as she retakes her position on the balcony.

"And thank you, Grind. I hope that as I spend more time here serving all of you, I can prove Dworkin made a wise choice with his appointment." Lyra looks over to Morgana and Alys. "It's our goal to see to the improvement and success of Ht'Gon and, by association, Amber. Toward that end I hope we can set aside further challenges, at least for now, until we have had a chance to prove ourselves in these roles. I believe everyone here is possessed of valuable gifts, not just those who have walked the pattern. I may have been appointed a position of leadership but I welcome the thoughts and opinions of everyone here."

Lyra smiles her warmest to all gathered as she moves back to her husband's side.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

There's a lot of quiet murmurings. Most don't believe the feelings of goodwill, and are less comfortable with it coming from someone who can back it up, but no one is willing to make it an issue at that time.
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

Aibne looks thoughtful for a moment, before bowing to the lady Morgana. "On behalf of my Master, Rogbar and the Shadowstriders, I offer to you my sword, gracious Lady," he says, bowing down to one knee, drawing his weapon and offering it carefully in both hands.
khadjair
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

Cameron is mostly watchign dumbfounded - he doesn't know much of anything of the intrigues here, and what he has gathered implies his people are new, so he doens't even have a real power base to draw from. He's just quietly sitting back, fidgeting a little and waiting to see how this all plays out.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Aibne's display creates an immediate reaction. He's been here since the beginning, and to be declared an Amberite and to show direct alegeance, gets the Shadow Striders to kneel... then Grind does so (he does roll his eyes at it), followed by about 3/4 of the orcs, including a few being shoved to their knees be peer pressure. ("Kneel.." "Why?" "Just do it!") The dwarves are more reluctant, but they know they have it good under Morgana, and don't want to be shown up by the orcs or goblins... and soon it's "I don't want to be the only one not kneeling." Okay, the drow and redcaps bow (As does the centaur, but he physically can't kneel on one leg), but it's close enough.

Morgana will wave her hands... "It's- That's... Thank you everyone. Please rise... As I have said a number of times: The humans and other courts think we're monsters. I know what happens elsewhere. Maybe it can't work. And when we've killed each other and the humans come and find our remains, they'll say we were just monsters.

"But here... look to each other. These are the ones who will protect you in the city. These are the ones who will protect you in the market. These are who you will rely on to farm, bring food, and manage our city. These are strong bindings. These are honorable bindings.

"All I can truly promise, is that leadership, real leadership, will be based on merit. Not race. Even the lowest of you will have a chance to be chancellors, master craftsmen and trusted members of the guard. Keep your culture. Keep yourselves in groups, make little orc towns and goblin towns and dwarf towns, but when we are seen from the outside we are just Ht'Gon. We should see that from the inside as well."

She will pause. "Lyra, did you have anything to add?"
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

Lyra looks very impressed with the speech. "I think you said it perfectly, Morgana. We have an opportunity to build something amazing here but it can only happen if all of us take those sentiments to heart. If any doubt that this can work, I'd be happy to tell you about my homeland, my friends, and my faith. I know we can make this work because I've seen this very scenario beginning to blossom through cooperation. It won't be easy, and there will be difficulties, but I know we will overcome them."
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

Aibne nods, standing again and sheathing his sword. "More than that," he says, speaking loudly and addressing the entire gathering. "We have things no other city in Amber has. Amber may have the Castle and Dworkin, but where would it be without the financial contributions of our merchants, our miners, our craftsmen? Without the Dwarves, and Master Silverbar, the world would fall," he says, turning to bow to Morek.

"But they are not our only step up," he adds, righting himself, glancing at Morgana before turning to the goblins. "Even were the mountains of Ht'Gon completely mined out, all the minerals would be meaningless without our alchemists, engineers, and herbalists with which to use them, refine them, identify and compose miracles of healing and aid. Without Master Hooktooth," he says, bowing to the goblin.

"They, too, are only one piece of the puzzle that makes us simply better than the other cities," he says, looking at Morgana again, closing his eyes and breathing out. He's struggling to keep calm, noticeably antsy, but continues, speaking in a slow, measured tone. "What kind of city would this be to live in, without the members of our mercenary companies? The companies here, whether the loosely organized militia that is the HobGob Clock Cleaners, the collection of affiliated gangs of the Redcaps, the regimented military of the Shadow Striders... Without us, what kind of city would we have? What kind of chaos would we be living in, where the merchants fear to leave their homes, where the civilians cannot work for fear of being set upon and murdered?" He tries hard not to let it show, but his eyes linger on the redcaps here, "No kind of city at all. In Amber, what military they have guards only the castle, and the city itself is in chaos. Here, the mercenaries police the streets, paid for by Morek to keep the peace. Without us, the world would fall apart," he says, ducking his head and closing his eyes.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

So, with that, the room will erupt into cheers. There will be a lot of chatting and some milling about, but it's late and most people need to get to sleep for the festival the next day. (and for preparations for the day after, which will happen at Ht'Gon).

Oh yeah, Morgana will congratulate Aibne on finding his voice.

(OOC: I'm just going to state, that with all that's happening, meaningful followup conversations should happen the next day or over IM.)
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

After those assembled begin to make their way out of the chamber and the excitement of Aibne's rousing speech dies down a bit, Lyra will approach. "That was brilliant, Aibne," Lyra says with a curtsy. "I’m really sorry I didn't get to speak with you earlier in the evening."

"I-It's fine, milady," Aibne replies, bowing deeply, looking down. "That... They needed to hear it. Those kind of speeches... I've been writing them down for long enough, I guess it's just natural. It will make the way to establishing a peaceful power base for yourself and lady Morgana easier."

"Well, I really appreciate it,” Lyra says with a smile. “You know these people much better than I do and that will be very crucial in progressing relationships beyond just keeping the peace. By the way, just Lyra is fine. Niceties are fun but I prefer Lyra."

"But, I'm..." he starts, looking down. "Yes, Lyra, understood," he concludes, breathing out slowly.

Lyra giggles slightly before placing a comforting hand on his arm. "Just call me whatever you feel comfortable with. Just between you and me, I was just a rogue most of my life. Not a thief mind you but nothing approaching glamorous certainly. High society is all new to me since meeting Rasanam."

Aibne nods a little, ducking his head. "Yes milady, of course," he says, breathing out slowly. "I'm not..." he says slowly, frowning. "I don't... know that I'll ever be used to it..."

"It is a lot to take in, but I'm really glad you're here. If there's anything I can do to make this easier on you, let me know. I'd really appreciate if you could introduce me to some of the people you mentioned and help advise on how we can work with each to improve Ht'Gon."

Aibne blinks, nodding a little. "Yes, of course. Grundle Hooktooth is one of the primary alchemist leaders - only one of them leaves the shop at any time," he says, rubbing his chin. "Morek would be harder to get a meeting to, though. He has entire months scheduled out at a time... but you're more important than anything, it shouldn't be hard to get someone to, ah, reschedule for your convenience..."

Lyra nods. "Well I'll try and fit into his schedule before I go stepping on any toes. At least meeting Rogbar shouldn't be hard."

"Oh, of course. He should be at the festival tomorrow, if you can't meet up with him tonight," Aibne says, nodding. "Master will probably watch the tournament, if he doesn't compete."

Lyra looks slightly confused but decides not to pursue the issue. "Master? You mean Rogbar? What's he competing in?"

"Usually the melee, but he can do... almost anything. Spears, swords, throwing weapons, archery, axes..."

"Impressive. I was going to start sparring with Lady Alys but maybe I can impose on him for a few lessons and use that to get to know him better." Lyra pauses for a moment before continuing "Congratulations on being chosen by Dworkin. I’d say he made a very good choice."

"Thank you, milady," he says, bowing his head.

"Well, I do believe it is getting late and I have meetings yet to attend before sleep. I hope to see you on the morrow and we can speak more."

"Indeed. Yes, milady. Have a pleasant night.”
khadjair
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

As soon as the cheering dies down, Cameron will try to slip off quietly towards his chambers and will head there apace if no one accosts him on his way.