Rules questions, useful links, and the like.
- Posts: 2985
- Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:59 pm
Some basic Amber Timeliney Stuff: (note, shadows can have whatever time speed they want, so this is in amber time. For example: In a specific shadow, it's possible 100 or even 1000 years passed between years 3 and 4.)
This is subject to PC origins. NPC origins are not set in stone yet either. Names in "" have not been updated yet.
: (Note: The Amber calendar starts mid-winter. For sake of sanity, they use an equivalent calendar to us.)
- Dworkin and Quin arrive in Amber Castle. (i) Dworkin starts summoning / finding staff and guards for the castle. Some villagers arrive to fill the nearby empty city of Amber.
An injured and poisoned Harrune is quietly taken to castle Amber.
- More guards and villagers arrive, including Rolf, Richard, and Will. Some newcomers are aquatic, and start on the city of Rebma. Some are too monstrous and start a camp of humanoids out in the nearby forest. Some go underground into mount Kolvir, creating a fort. It is discovered that the forest has monsters. (ii)
- Dworkin orders preparations for a grand festival to welcome the true rulers of Amber. These are sabotaged several times by a minor resistance that resent being unable to choose their own fate. The six (or so) leaders of this group were eventually captured.
May: Mid May, a strange bear-like man is dug out of mine that Ht'Gon was digging.
- Near the end of the year, Dworkin brings to Amber a small group of recruits. They are treated to a royal fanfare and educated about Amber and the potential power they might wield.
The year end festival culminates in them being lead to their respective patterns and asked to walk. At least one dies in the process. Dworkin also allows the 6 leaders of the resistance to attempt to walk the pattern of their choosing. 2 die, 3 relent, and rumor has it, one survives.
Members of this first group include Benabik, Oberon, Ossian, Morgana, and Harrune. (More positions available.)
- Dworkin continues to attract / import new recruits, several each year. Some of them get the royal treatment, some are asked to walk the pattern and it is assumed they will find their way back.
Dec: Asai arrives in Amber. Walks Pattern at culmination of year end festival. (In Jan of year 6.)
- Darnell arrives this year, but waits a few weeks before finally walking the pattern in mid-march (iii)
Dworkin has announced something special for the New year festival. Rumors have been circulating for a while. Around this time was the first appearance of a robed man (Osmund).
Dec: At the start of December, Lyra and Rasanam arrive and walk their respective patterns.
Mid december (late december?) a shooting star hits Castle Amber. It is later revealed to be the Raven.
Alys arrives two days before the festival, Dec 29th. She has not yet been presented to court.
6.12.29 : Castle Amber Library
6.12.30 : Main Hall
Dec 30th, Aibne Grant is tricked onto the pattern and appears in the main hall of Amber.
- Order is up to debate. Common consensus is that Quin came with the castle.
- The Unicorn was spotted, as well as a manticore and a chimera. Casualties were light.
- Remember, Tir-Na Nog'th's pattern only shows up once a month.
- Prismatic Pangolin
- Posts: 2278
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:50 pm
- 06.12.29 (Saturday)
- 06.12.30 (Sunday)
- 06.12.30: Main Hall Aibne has just walked the Pattern and is very confused; Alys tries to explain the promotion he has just received.
- 06.12.31 (Monday): The new year's festival starts in the evening with a dinner in Castle Amber.
- 07.01: The Seventh Winter Arrivals & notifications for the dinner at Castle Amber; most notably, Dworkin arrives in a santa claus costume, declares that coming in through the fireplace was a silly idea, and passes out Trump decks.
- 07.01a: The Seventh Winter (Lounge of the Giant) Various people approach Morgana, and are then shuffled away into other scenes. The Raven complains about the cold.
- 07.01b The Seventh Winter (On The Side) Harrune introduces himself to Aibne.
- 07.01c The Seventh Winter (On the Other Side) Asai introduces herself to Alys; Tabodi Silverbar and Father-Confessor Lane make appearances as well. Not to mention the Raven... oh wait we just did.
- 07.01d The Seventh Winter (Fireside Negotiations) The dwarf Ayum Aurun, having been lured away from Morgana, attempts (and fails) to acquire what amounts to trade concessions from Lyra and Harrune. Asai arrives, Quinn offers to check his personal library for a book on "Chaos", Ossian attempts to secure Asai's support for his assumed promotion to Ruler of Tir'na.
- 07.01e: The Seventh Winter (You Only Want Luck) Rogbar makes a scene over Alys having declared Aibne a free man, before realizing that she really was just enforcing Dworkin's rule about Amberites. Then Rogbar tries to flirt with Alys, makes the mistake of conjuring an insufficiently dangerous rose; the flower is incinerated, and, mostly-off-camera, the cat turns to Darnell to help him acquire a better one.
- 07.01f: The Seventh Winter (Winter Walk) Cameron is greeted by Darnell, and the two arrive at the evening's dinner.
- 07.01g: The Seventh Winter (Refreshments) Rasanam and Cameron talk shop. Cameron catches Osmund stealing a carrot cookie and arranges to speak with him later.
- 07.01h: The Seventh Winter (Fae-touched) Ossian greets Alystrakos, and isn't stabbed. Ossian and Harrune discuss politics.
- 07.01i: The Seventh Winter (Table in the Corner) Rasanam, Morgana, and Lyra discuss metaphysics, lifespan, politics, personal power, and Dworkin's gift of Trump decks. Harrune visits and there is discussion of rulership, Ossian, and support for Rebma. Finally, Alys introduces herself to Morgana.
- 07.01j: The Seventh Winter (Dinner with Dragons) Alystrakos, Oberon, Galadrian, and Asai discuss a selection of various issues facing the city of Amber. Eventually Rogbar turns up with a better rose, having only barely survived the process of acquiring it.
- 07.01k Either Orr Harrune discusses the issues of importing fabrics with a textile merchant.
- 07.01l The Seventh Winter (Mercenary Matters) Aibne, Raven, Cameron, Rogbar, and assorted members of the Shadow Striders discuss romance, cards, and a little bit of politics. The Raven's dating advice is ignored.
- 07.01m: The Seventh Winter (Not a Jolly Elf) Ossian, Alys, Asai, and Darnell examine the trump decks; Alys regretfully sacrifices the very dangerous rose Rogbar gave her in order to provide Ossian with a distraction. Lyra and Rasanam stop by and introduce themselves.
- 07.02: Moonlight Tea Rasanam and Lyra attempt to ask Dworkin questions. This is about as (un)informative as one might expect. After their departure, Harrune asks about his appointment as Ruler, and gets (slightly) more informative responses.
- 07.02a: Moonlight Walk Harrune mutters about his appointment as Ruler, Asai kibitzes, and after a bit Rasanam and Lyra turn up while Harrune departs to talk to Dworkin.
- 07.03: Shadow of the Mountain Alys and Cameron get a tour of Ht'gon's fort from Morgana, and discuss matters of war and shadow. Assorted other Amberites catch up... (continued...)
- 07.03a: Catchup Mountain Aibne and Raven catch up with the tour.
- 07.03: Shadow of the Mountain ...and everyone arrives in Ht'gon's throne room. Morgana announces the various statuses derived from Dworkin's choice of who gets what Trump card. Grind challenges Lyra. The redcap insults Alys. Lyra handily wins the challenge. Aibne makes a speech and manages to achieve a few moments of unity between dwarven and orcish factions.
- 07.03b: Private Conversation Alys explains a bit about Chaos, Logrus, and Shapeshifting to Morgana and Lyra, and the decision is reached that this information should be spread to the other Courts.
- 07.03x: Refuge of Dreams Lyra and Rasanam return home, with Alys tagging along for the ride. Conversations with the ancient dragon Nathrezell (aka Nate). Jiga, Anniah, and Victor are brought back to Amber.
- Prismatic Pangolin
- Posts: 2278
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:50 pm
- 07.01.01 (Tuesday): Festivities continue; notable events including a joust during the day and the ball at Rebma in the evening.
- 07.04: Tuesday Festival Description of the morning.
- 07.04?: No Faeries Here Alys tracks Aibne down and offers her standard information on Chaos. Aibne accuses Alys of being Fae, but matters are at least... smoothed over.
- 07.04a Jousting Field Harrune arranges a meeting; Odin turns up unannounced; various people are informed.
- 07.04b: Black Horse Race Odin presents himself as a foreign diplomat - and finds himself treated as one, invited by Ossian... whereupon Dworkin takes over, speaking privately to the representative of Chaos. Krajk takes his duties as Odin's bodyguard seriously, is presented with clothing suitable for the upcoming ball in Rebma, and meets Alystrakos, Raven, and Lyra.
- 07.04c: Meetings and Reflections The Amberites of Tir'na Nog'th meet in a mirrored room. The sphinx Cassandra invites herself and nobody complains. Rasanam agrees to make an enchanted item for Harrune. There is an ominous riddle, but nobody knows quite what to make of it. Various plans for Tir'na are discussed, ranging from making the castle permanently manifested to building their own flying city. Alys presents her news about Chaos.
- 07.04d: Orc Camp in Winter Cameron explores the orcish encampment, and starts working on designs for improving it. The black orc, Kothir, challenges Cameron and loses. Aibne tries to help Cameron deal with suddenly being in charge. Cameron makes a gift to bring with him to the Rebma ball, and momentarily gets a few dwarves watching this display of craftsmanship - though they beat a hasty retreat when he's done.
- Meeting Before The Ball In Rebma An OOC discussion on the topic of Rebma and its lack of Amberites, ending with the conclusion that Ashara will be declared Regent.
- 07.04e: The Wander Inn Benabik, Krajk, Lyra, and the Raven share a meal. Fjolnir asks some unimportant questions. Aibne skalds, telling the tale of Beowulf, and hires Fjolnir for certain underhanded shenanigans that may or may not have something to do with his decision that Alys is clearly some sort of fae.
- 07.04f: Day on the Town Alys gives Oberon her standard explanation of Chaos, and then the two tour various city guard groups. Alys offers training, available to "anyone who wishes to make Amber a safer place"; Oberon offers to help.
- 07.05: Early Arrivals Krajk, Lyra, Rasanam, and the Raven, start to tour Rebma and then promptly get lost in discussion with a mad inventor about proper designs for sewer systems.
- 07.06: Underwater Ball Main thread for cataloging arrivals and (some) activity; most notably, towards the end of the ball, the declaration of Ashara as regent of Rebma.
- 07.06: Underwater Ball (A Quiet Corner) Benabik stakes out a quiet corner and then vanishes from the game, his player eaten by assorted real life concerns.
- 07.06a: Underwater Ball (Dance Floor 1) Morgana and Grind dance, and are studiously avoided by those that are faster on their feet. Lyra asks Nemo about Rebma policies regarding new arrivals, and then talks to Harrune about setting up a more formalized welcoming committee for Amber; Harrune then talks to Darnell on the same topic.
- 07.06b: Underwater Ball (A Dance with... Well, you know...) Rasanam and Lyra talk to the bay dragon Kizak, discovering much to their consternation that Kizak's home shadow allows dragons to kill and eat other dragons as a means for gaining power.
- 07.06c: Underwater Ball (Refreshments Table) Rogbar flirts with Jiga, with peanut gallery by Fjolnir, Asai, and on occasion the Raven.
- 07.06d: Underwater Ball (Cold Blood) A pirate captain attempts to flirt with Krajk, and ends up leaving with the Raven instead. Krajk is then attacked via trump sketch, and heads off to deal with the attackers along with Ossian and Corystes.
- 07.06e: Underwater Ball (Guarded Conversation) Cheknou (one of Harrune's relatives) is approached by Corystes for a discussion of politics. And, eventually, a dance.
- 07.06f: Underwater Ball (Musician's Lounge) Priscilla approaches Aibne; Alys gets dragged along, and the three prove to have some shared... bad experiences. Alys offers to assist Priscilla in recovering her children, and Aibne also agrees to help.
- 07.06g: Underwater Ball (to Restore the Spirit) Rogbar and Jiga visit a hot springs, and Rogbar offers the tengu a job in his mercenary group.
- 07.06h: Underwater Ball (Animal Companions) Cameron, Osmund, and Harrune discuss Pattern & Broken Pattern; Harrune offers to let Osmund see (but not yet attempt to walk) a real Pattern.
- 07.06i: Underwater Ball (Dance Floor 2) Rasanam ends up dancing with the siren Rida, who asks for advice about courting Ossian; Rasanam sends her off with advice and a suitable introduction. A bit later, Alys ends up dancing with Cheknou, and there is a discussion of guard training; Cheknou offers to assist.
- 07.07: Wheels Within Wheels Krajk goes to deal with his attacker, is lured onto the Pattern, and is highly displeased with the whole experience. Said attacker, the siren Kokytos, survives at least physically (Krajk refuses to let the Pattern claim his prey), but is left unconscious and may never recover.
- 07.06k: Underwater Ball (Dance Floor 3: Clockwork Boogalee) Cameron and Osmund dance, but are quickly drawn into matters of Pattern.
- 07.07b: Greek Fire Alys follows Kizak out of the ball, discovers that he can tell she's a dragon, discovers the same unpleasant truth about his home shadow that Lyra and Rasanam found earlier, and offers him training in self defense (and hopefully self-esteem). (continued...)
- 07.07a: Within Wheels and Wheels Ossian pulls Harrune, Cameron, and Osmund into Rebma's Pattern room. Harrune decides to walk Rebma's Pattern. Osmund realizes he wouldn't survive. Ossian discovers that there was a fake Corystes involved - perhaps Dworkin shapeshifted, perhaps someone else...
- 07.07c Turning of Wheels Harrune walks Rebma's Pattern.
- 07.06l: Mixed Messages Lyra and Rasanam go to talk to Dworkin and Odin; Darnell interrupts with a report of events on Rebma's Pattern, and Dworkin offers little explanation for his actions.
- 07.06m: Wallflowers Rogbar introduces Jiga to Aibne. Odin, Rasanam, and Lyra turn up; Odin questions Aibne; the Bear denies being important, and quickly makes his escape. Krajk turns up and is still displeased.
- 07.06N Confessions Father-Confessor Lane talks with Aibne, and is asked to deliver his trump card to Ashara.
- 07.07c Underwater Ball (Seating Area) Rasanam collects various people to go talk to Ashara.
- 07.07c: Audience with a Ruler The actual declaration of Ashara as Regent, and assorted discussion around that topic.
- 07.07b: Greek Fire (...continued) Alys takes Kizak with her when she leaves the ball, puzzles over why he ended up in Amber, and is (very politely) attacked by The Redcap on her way back into Ht'gon.
- Prismatic Pangolin
- Posts: 2278
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:50 pm
- 07.01.02 (Wednesday)
- 07.07d: Working Shark Odin expresses concern over the possibility of the Pattern being sentient and having exerted control over Krajk. Krajk remains displeased with the whole affair. Krajk's quarters are described. Krajk tours Rebma.
- 07.07x: Refuge of Dreams (Part II) Rasanam and Lyra return to their home shadow again; the ancient dragon Nathrezell is safely excavated.
- 07.07x2: Mage Towers A simple hellride brings Rasanam and Lyra to 'someone they can trust to take over the Ruby guild'; first mention of the ancient wizard Rath (who's kinda important to that shadow's history). Also includes a tour of the city of Acra and some discussion with the current mage guilds (yes, guilds plural) leader, Lazarus.
- 07.08a: Green Ham and Eggs Osmund tries to help Cameron acclimate to being an Amberite.
- 07.08b: Skin Deep Alys spends a bit of time teaching a dragonet the local language, while Aibne spends time learning to read. Aibne reveals that he had delegated giving his copy of his own card to Ashara, and Alys sends Tinder to double-check that it arrived. Through all of this, Alys is trying to make sure Aibne gains some understanding of the Powers (Pattern / Trump) he now has.
- 07.08c - This thread was devoured by the Abyss; even its name lost to the annals of history... ((Joking; the letter 'c' just got skipped over.))
- 07.08d Extended Family Harrune brings a few more of his relatives to Amber...
- 07.08e Elements of Tea ...And then meets with the Orr family (textile merchants if you'd forgotten the thread from day one). This thread also introduces its namesake teahouse and Anriki, its go-playing tanuki. The Orr family agrees to support Harrune; in exchange, he agrees to take Nathaniel Orr to "something that could help his family" - likely some means of making clothing locally - out in shadow.
- 07.08f Upside Down Continued adventures of Cameron and Osmund as they head out into shadow; there's a bit of philosophy, but the result is a family of minotaurs.
- 07.08g Gated Landscapes Alys and Aibne head out into shadow to offer Priscilla's children the option to return to Amber with her. The intent to make this a choice is forestalled by the arrival of Hivers/Theotropolis; there's a bit of diplomacy, and a bit of a fight, and Asai is summoned via Trump to act as the rescuing cavalry. (And the Raven turns up at the very end, though nobody is quite sure why.)
- 07.08h Guided by Goblins Jiga tours Ht'gon's gardens & market library.
- 07.08h: Four Courts Harrune calls a meeting of the leaders of each court, and they establish the custom of granting an Amberite some minor title in the Court of any secondary Patterns they walk.
- 07.08i: Chilly Reception Aibne, Alys, Asai, Raven, Priscilla & children & ex-husband arrive back in Amber; messages are sent out and people go their various ways.
- 07.08j: Cavern Tour Aibne provides Alys with some further touring of Ht'gon, covering the Market Library and ending up in a meeting with Morek (who is displeased to discover that this is a simple social visit and there is no declaration of him as Steward - and that Alys insists on Aibne being treated as the royalty he now is.)
- 07.09: For the Honor of Ht'Gon Main thread for the Tournament at Ht'gon. Technically mostly background stuff, but it's fun background stuff.
- 07.09b Warnings and Portents Rasanam and Lyra are pulled into the scene after Harrune receives Asai's warning about Hivers.
- 07.09a: The Junior Tournament Minor chatter between Alys, Aibne, Morgana, Lyra, and Endros. Some character establishment and introductions, but not much actually happening.
- 07.09c: Dwarf in a Box Alys informs Dworkin about Hivers. Continued...
- 07.09f: Too Many Explosions Rasanam goes to help deal with medical issues caused by, for example, an exploding joust vehicle powered by a dwarven moonshine engine. There is some discussion with Asai, Aibne, and Cassandra.
- 07.09e The Pre-game Show Harrune and Odin discuss power, politics, and styles of leadership. Alys, Krajk, and Odin discuss Hivers; Odin sends a blood-bird off to pass the warning on to his handler.
- 07.09g: Chance Meeting ...to be filled in later...
- probably some more threads fit here...
- 07.09d: Pecking Order Kothir punches Cameron; there is discussion of the meaning of strength. They are interrupted by Thanus Rel, and Kothir departs. Rogbar, Jiga, and Alys join the conversation, in that order; Jiga and Rogbar depart. Alys reveals her plan to commission gifts for various people, and requests Cameron's assistance. There is a lengthy discussion on shapeshifting, sorcery, and shadow. Alys provides a demonstration of social leverage and unintended consequences (though a combination of paranoia and rapid reactions prevent those unintended consequences from snowballing too much.)
- more threads definitely go here...
- 07.09c: Dwarf in a Box ...Continued: Alys informs Dworkin about Broken Pattern and Osmund. Dworkin is unimpressed. Osmund and Cameron and Alys discuss Hivers.
Tick, tock, tick, tock...