002b: Digging for Answers

On/Under the streets of Yuggoth
Joshua
Gibbering

Re: 002b: Digging for Answers

Post by Joshua »

Unfortunately, the excavation is long, but at least it uncovers some interesting bit. With everything being dug up, you can piece together the complete elder sign tablet that was used as a binding. The coffin, a basic wooden box, is rotten and fragile. Miles is skilled enough to exhume it without damage... So it's clear that the contents did, in fact burst out, after helplessly clawing at the walls*. Also contained in the box is a bit of backslide of mud, an iron stake**, a small scratched series of symbols***, and no body.
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Miles will suggest that Berkley not help with the actual digging but instead focus on sorting through was gets brought up. (He'll see that as going with their relative strengths). He's trying very hard to focus on the physical aspect of the job rather than the details of what they are digging up because he's afraid to what they might find.

When he's done he'll sit down to rest and finally have to actually face what he's just dug up.

"Was he really dead? Did something bring him back?" He glances around. "How many more could there be in here? No! Don't want to know that. How...how do you protect yourself from...whatever this is?"*

-------
*At this point Miles is clearly spooked, but not in danger of bolting.
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

"It looks like he solved an equation of strength... I think. Blood is a terrible writing medium..." the professor peered at the inner casket and frowns a little. "I believe that strange star had more to do with sealing him in here than anything else, at least until it broke... which is just as worrisome. Who broke it?" Berkley will try and collect the fragments of the elder sign, and try to piece them back together, frowning a bit.
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"I don't know what to make of any of this. I'm just a craftsman. Hopefully Hawkins will come up with something. ...so what do we do now? Do we wait for Hawkins? Do we go to the hospital and check on the victim? Do we walk away and hope someone else handles it all? If you have any good ideas I'm listening."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Good news? There is a full set of pieces for the Elder Sign marker. Bad news? the iron insets had rusted clean through. That might have broken the protection.

Hawkins might be busy for a bit longer. You can always stop by the precinct... or poke the scooby-gang... visiting the hospital is also a good lead.
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

'the hospital would be a good idea I think..." Berkley says idly, fitting the pieces together before sketching it into his notepad and frowning a little. 'Hawkins would know more... do you know anyone who might be able to fix this? It got left here on purpose, we might need it repaired."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

There is time to get to the hospital before Hawkins gets back... or, since the publics works people need to fill in the hole*, they can relay a message**.

As a note, Yes, Miles can repair it.
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"Right, some kind of protection for someone sounds like a good idea. Problem is this will need some tools and materials that I don't have with me. I'm going to need to take it back to a workshop to put this back together. Uh...I can put the pieces back together, but if it needs something...extra... to make it work I'm not the man for that job."

I should probably get this together as soon as possible, just in case. Where I can meet you afterwards to hand this off to you? The hospital maybe? Somewhere else? I'll leave your name at the door in case you finish first and have to come find me."

Miles will see about getting the crew working on putting things to rights and will leave a message for Hawkins if she isn't back yet. Then he'll head out. If Berkley wants to lean on his credentials to ease getting into the hospital (assuming that's where he wants to go) Miles can tag along for that.