002a: The Majordomo and Ms. Ryan

On/Under the streets of Yuggoth
kitsunenotsume
Missing Some Marbles

Re: 002a: The Majordomo and Ms. Ryan

Post by kitsunenotsume »

Augustus will look appropriately perturbed by the notion, before recovering his bearing and sauntering over to one of the plush settees and plopping down into the cusions. "Aah, well, right then. Sorry for the confusion. If so you say, then I shall take my seat here, and look forwards to sample what your fine estate has to offer, until your return. Thank you most kindly for your generosity and assistance, Mister Conray."

And with that, he will subtly watch the steward depart*, following him visually through the halls of the manse, now quite firmly curious as to what else the records room holds.

*: only focusing on Sight, unless Conray seems to engage in a conversation, or once he reaches the record office. Keeping Hearing for the parlor would allow for conversations with Kin (if appropriate) or being alert to when the refreshments arrive.
Last edited by kitsunenotsume on Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

The Tea and cakes are decent. And not poisoned, if you're nervous about that from the previous evening.

Feel free to post about your wait if you have something to do so, otherwise... here you go.

(ESP isn't selective... Although, I think you always sense both places. it's why you need to do it in a quiet place.)

The records do contain much that he wouldn't want people to see. Information on business practices and accounts ledgers that could be used to bankrupt them* if one was so inclined. They're relatively clean, in terms of mythos and such, the family clearly looks down upon such practices.

Moses looks for the paperwork in a few places, surprised that he can't find her in the more recent hires... That drawer covers ten years of work... He silently curses himself for misplacing it... and after turning that drawer and the surrounding ones inside-out, will check with the other staff for how long Emma had been with the family.

Reluctantly, he will check the older files... and frown, pulling out a hiring folder from fifteen years prior**. With a grumble, he will skim the notes and head back to the room.
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Kin, by contrast, waits patiently, with only minimal small talk while Mr. Conray is gone.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Moses will walk back into the parlor. "I'm terribly sorry about that, the file... was not where I expected it to be. I knew she was hired shortly before I took over as majordomo, but... that seems to have been a little earlier than I expected."

He will offer a basic job application from the folder. "It seems she was... fifty-one as of two days from now. Which, can't be... she clearly was in her mid-thirties... I figured she must've been hired at twenty-five." he frowns. "So, I have her original address*, which matches my current files. Her certificate of marksmanship**, she belonged to an obscure guild, the Yggdrasil***, and... well, my predecessor verified her knowledge of firearms personally. We test our regular employees yearly, we can't have them on decline. Besides, we offer bonuses to those who improve."

"Take a bit to look****, if you want. I can't let you leave with the files though..." He will, instead produce ink, feather and paper.
****: Ask what you're combing for? I assume you get all the addresses.
Veyska
Lunatic

Post by Veyska »

At some point during this* a servant will deliver a note to Lord Fairthingsworth.

'To Lord Fairthingsworth and Miss Arada:

Apologies for missing our departure this morning**, I had an unscheduled patient whose emergency was not nearly so dire as they thought but who was sufficiently distraught and problematic to dismiss out of hand that it seemed best to treat them promptly. As chance would have it, Clarence turned up just a short while ago and offered to mind the shop for a while; apparently his wife is entertaining some of her friends and he got politely shooed out of the house. Since I already missed the relevantly timed trains I'm going to run a few quick errands before heading over to the nearest train station to Lord Williamson's manor. If we miss each other somehow or your investigations run overlong, I'll return to my shop and await Miss Arada's return there.

With all respect,
Miss Spurling'

(*If Josh hadn't already posted Moses' returning I'd say while he was gone, but perhaps right before he gets back so there wouldn't have been time to do more than glance at it?)
(**Combination of distraction and lethargy to blame in actuality, but seeing as how Beth's the sole proprietor of her business it gives me a convenient cop-out. 'Aspects' are perks as well as plot hooks...)
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Kin will, indeed, look through the files carefully and take notes. It is, by this point, abundantly clear that Ms. Ryan was not a... recent conversion, shall we say. However, I'm not coming up with anything specific to comb the records for, beyond the obvious: references, Yigdrasil charterhouse location, listed beneficiaries or next of kin, that sort of thing.

Eventually, "Well, that seems to be all in order; thank you, Mr. Conray. If you happen to see anything similarly suspect among the rest of your employment records, please do let us know, but I don't see any signs that we should be expecting such."

She turns to Augustus, "Anything else you think we need to ask about while we're here, sir, or," (I'm assuming the note was shared,) "should we go meet up with Miss Spurling now?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

If it matters, while death benefits are not required, they were offered to the Lord's bodyguards. Mr. Ryan did not take advantage of them, however.

The other addresses you have. Just let me know where you go.
kitsunenotsume
Missing Some Marbles

Post by kitsunenotsume »

Lord Fairthingsworth will peruse through the documents over the shoulder of his 'secretary', letting her take the relevant notes. "I would not find it hard to imagine that some folk are inclined to hide their youth if they have the skills requested, or that with the right facial treatment one might disguise the signs of age. Thank you, Mister Conray, for your assistance. While we shall sincerely hope to find no further surprises, I shall send word if the investigation enters further territory that you or your house might find of particular relevance. I have offered to Lord Williamson to keep him informed of our progress, but it strikes me that your desk might be the more prudent to deliver correspondence to when regarding the details of finer nuance of this matter."

"I think we have what we can reasonable predict to be useful, Miss Kin, so I think that it might be appropriate to inquire at her abode once we've acquired our chemist."

Augustus will finish up his tea, offer a polite bow and formalities to Moses, and collect himself together for departure.

((It's been well and truly my post all week, and I would like to apologize, as I haven't been able to concentrate on the forum game between certain large budget movies and personal projects that consumed far more of my time and focus than I had anticipated.))