001a: Grave Tidings

On/Under the streets of Yuggoth
misfit
Raving Mad

Re: 001a: Grave Tidings

Post by misfit »

Miles will begin to offer his hand to shake, but stops and looks at his hands. He wipes them on his parts and looks again. "Ummm...maybe not. McKinnon, Public Works. I wouldn't say that I'm eager to do this Inspector, but something isn't right here. Something was throwing around a heavy chunk of stone. I would say that Mr. Berkley's estimate on the weight is very accurate."

"Maybe you can see something that I can't, but I only see two things it could be. First, that old man was robbing a grave and decided to stop to have a bit of sport by throwing that stone into the air until he accidentally dropped it on himself. Second, something came out of the ground and attacked him. Seems to me we need to know for sure if there's something dangerous on the loose. I don't want to be part of this either, but if I walk away and someone dies because of it..."

"So, if you say leave it alone then I walk away and what happens isn't on me. If you need a mole I'm standing right here with tools. Your call."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Hawkins will nod. "Yeah, better to know what we're dealing with. Berkley, what can you see*?"

Post by Draylen »

"I, I um..." he hesitates a little, but nods, and fixes up his tweed jacket. He looks around for a moment, striding over to look at the depressions, glance at the gravestone, before he recoils as if slapped. "Heaven's to Betsy!" he cried, scrabbling backwards. "There, there was...*"

He stopped for a moment and whimpered, squeezing his eyes closed. "U-uh.. there, uh... f-f-first... there is some, iconography, that was being researched at the sanctuary. a strange, and off-kilter sign, like a star but not. It's inscribed, it was inscribed, on a marker and affixed to the grave stone... a-and, it looks like some several other places... it's hard to make out, now that it's all broken. um, um, but. but, uh, it powered, um, something or other...'

Hesitantly, he opened his eyes again and shuddered, flicking something away, before giving another quiet whimper. "Night. something, something black and terrible, with wings, that lifted this stone and smashed it, again and again and again... there are still, flecks of... flecks of blood on the stone, and, and... oh dear, I think I'm going to be ill... there is something so terribly off in this place... filling it and suffusing it and laying over all like a bleak shroud. Inspector, I don't want to be here anymore...' he finishes with a whine, tugging his jacket around him.

---------
*: And, just to let people know about the power of investigation... Berkley has a 9 in that, +2 because of his Elder Lore: Creatures synergy, and while Second Sight isn't needed, it... justifies some extra stuff. With a little work, you can determine someone summoned a winged monster that picked up the gravestone and beat the old man with it. There's even flecks of blood in the lettering of the grave. Which means the old man is either immune to normal damage or heals really fast.
Your second sight**, indicates that there's a lot of residual energy in the grave itself, as well as all over the old man, but neither is an actual source of anything***. That being said, there's a ceramic engraving of an elder sign**** (with lots of additional runes and formula on it) that's been broken into pieces which are half-buried in the grave. Those used to be a source of power.
**: Which does not give all this information by itself, but when combined with a little investigation...
***: Uh, that's something where more exposure and experience will help.
****: Elder Lore 0 is enough to have seen an elder sign before.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Tough it out, rookie," Hawkins says, mostly encouragingly. "Well, digging is still important. There might be something down there. If you want, we can delay until I can get an exorcist, or at least daytime. I can see if I can get a sorcerer here, if you think that'll help."

She frowns and will check some papers. "At least we can talk to the graves-keeper first. Cal Grain. See what he's been up to. If you two want to chat, I can go wake him up."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Hawkings walks off to look for the graves keeper.
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Miles looks around considering. "Always easier to work in daylight. Probably safer too. Maybe the rain will stop by then. And won't say no to having more people who know how to deal with these things around."

"What do you think Mr. Berkley? Do you want to stick this out or clear out while you can? Your call. Personally I'd like to clear out, but someone is going to have to do the digging and I'm not sending a Guild brother in danger for me. If you wanna go I'll get you to the gates. Either way I'm catching up with the Inspector. I'm not waiting out here alone."
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

"I..." the dumpy man starts to say, giving a small whimper. "I would much rather be home, teaching my students and, and taking care of my garden... b-but, you guys need me here. And I cant go back anyway..."

He sighs and nods at the inspector and handyman, before drawing himself up and dusting himself off. "I, I guess I'll have to prove what Yankee ingenuity is good for, right? Just like Mr. Kelsin said when I helped with his derivatives..."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Hawkings will run back. "Mr. Grain's place has been ransacked. And, yeah, it's ugly. Blood and other stuff, but no body. Something bad is going on, and I don't know if we're at ground zero or not." She pauses, "Ground zero is where a bomb goes off... or an earthquake. Anyhow, we need more information, I can see about getting a bloodhound to track Mr. Grain, he's part of this, but might be a victim. Not sure. Berkley, you said the assailant was flying? That'll make this a mess."

She grumbles and will review some options.
  • Ransack Grain's place: Useful, and Hawkin's will be double-checking it, but you need people with different skills to figure out what went on there. Berkley has a chance... but getting more researchers will help.
  • Graveyard records: Sermon Bishop was the grave disrupted, a search here would lead to the library/city hall for further info. Hawkings can get you in after hours.
  • Track Grain: I don't think anyone here has the right skills, but it's an option.
  • Call in a mythos expert: Harder, but Hawkins has contacts. If you choose this, she can find them and meet up with you, or you can go with her.
  • Check with Tea House: A pair with the above. Since events are happening at a similar time.
  • Go to the Asylum: and talk to the old man. In this case, Kin (who Miles knows) would be helpful.
  • Any lead I haven't thought of... But that's 4-ish options.
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

Looking over Grain's place with Hawkin's seems like the most likely place to go, at least in my view. The records are also a good place, but those aren't likely to be time sensitive in the way looking over a crime scene is?
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

While Berkley starts his investigation, Miles will pull Hawkins aside.

"I can't do much to help here, but maybe I can check on the of this Grain ...and Bishop while I'm at it. There's a lot more paperwork involved in my work than most folk know. I know a bit about how the paperpushers think so I should be able to shake something loose right quick. At least it gets me out of the rain until dawn."

He looks up at the sky. He glances at Berkley and then speaks to Hawkins a tone too low for him to hear. "You two should probably stay out of the rain too. A roof should at least slow down anything other than rain. Best if he's not thinking about that...he's wound tight enough. Stay safe. I'll be back about dawn."

With that Miles turns and make his way quick towards the gates...