07.14g: To Onsen And Beyond!

The goings on of courts
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Re: 07.14g: To Onsen And Beyond!

Post by Wyvern »

Alys blinks and shakes her head. "You misunderstand. Unifying the legal structure is a project I am personally working on - and while I am certainly willing to accept assistance with it, I have no intention to hand it off to anyone. Also, I expect it to take about a year and a half, though I will admit that does include taking advantage of certain temporal manipulations to significantly accelerate training; without that it might run as long as four or five years."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

(Quin thinks it's someone else's turn to talk.)
BringMeThatHorizon
Needs a Guide

Post by BringMeThatHorizon »

"Hold up. How lo- no, no wait." Jaeger raises a hand and summons one of the servants to pour him another drink. Without warning he downs the thing wholly and unceremoniously. Having done so, he places the cup back down on the servant's tray and returns his attention to Alys' statement.

"Alright, so other than some weird time travel magic bull- how are you going to shorten years worth of training to a fraction of the time required?" His eyes narrow again with suspicion of the methods being listed. Anything that claims to train you in an immensely short time is immediately worthy of being discounted or at the least met with strong and unflinching skepticism in his mind, much less something that claims to be able to do this for an entire regimen of guard recruits.
Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"A well-run immersion training course can take an ordinary person from nothing to expert in just a few months.* In general, I would prefer about six, but I will be pushing the first group through in only three, so as to minimize the disruption to Amber from having a sixth** of its guards missing. The remaining portion of the time is allocated for resolving the inevitable political and administrative issues, as well as a generous allowance for whatever else goes wrong along the way."

If Jaeger seems interested or simply still skeptical, she'll start laying out the planned training in greater detail, from high-level goals down to individual training plans for specific days (though these include a lot of 'and this many people will be ahead of the group and working on this advanced and self-directed exercise, and this many people will be behind and receiving individual attention from instructors, and...')

Edit: Probably also worth noting is that the training plan is built primarily around learning-by-doing. There will be (fake) murder investigations for people to solve. There will be practical "spot a pickpocket in a crowd" training. Riot handling. And so on and so forth. Some shadow-local equivalent to Star Trek holodeck technology is almost certainly involved in make some of these exercises doable.

_____
* Essentially: This is boot camp, taken up to eleven.
** Alys' offer was for "no more than one-fifth" at a time, but she expects some people will - quite sensibly - decide to wait and see how the first batch turns out before volunteering.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Quin will raise an eyebrow at those statements. "Why wouldn't you head over to a fast shadow with them*? You could do that in a week of amber-time and you wouldn't have to push the first batch through fast."

Post by Wyvern »

Alys shrugs. "Oberon offered to help; I gave him a list of the features I was looking for, but I do not yet know exactly how fast a shadow he will find. I am willing to bet on at least three times Amber time-flow; if I get significantly better than that, I will, of course, make use of it."
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

Post by ShadowOfPreservation »

"If Oberon doesn't have a suitable solution for you, Rasanam and I might be able to help. And I can certainly help out planning some of the training from both rogue and warrior perspectives. Seeing some greater order to Amber is certainly up there on my wish list."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"In that regard, then..." Quin will get out of the bath... he will make a show of shaking himself off, but the suit is already dry. "I will check on Oberon and arrange for a suitable trump-based transport to the training ground. I would be surprised if he was unable to find a place with less than a month to day ratio." He will give a bow and head out unless someone needs him.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys nods to Quin as he departs, "That would simplify a number of concerns."

Then she finishes her drink (again) and gets out of the bath herself, accompanied by a faint sizzle of steam as the few clinging droplets of water boil away from her skin.

To Jaeger, she comments, "This has been an interesting discussion, but I think I, at least, have spent quite long enough soaking here. If you would like a bit of a tour of Ht'gon, I would be happy to show you around. Or if you need more time to recover from attuning to the Pattern, I can have Kanget show you to your rooms whenever you are done here."
BringMeThatHorizon
Needs a Guide

Post by BringMeThatHorizon »

"Now that you two are done makin' plans about time manipulation and plane walkin', I guess we can move onto the next step of the grand tour." Jaeger snickers as he downs the last bit of his own cup. He takes the moment to hop out of the bath himself, and brushes the droplets of water from his skin. The male quickly grabs a towel and wraps it around him, but then pauses- taking a quick look at himself. Jaeger reaches a hand up to brush a few odd strands of thick, choppy blue from his face and lets out a breath.

"One sec, though. Now that I've had a bit of rest and recoup, I oughta try out somethin'."

At the instant the words leave his lips, the literal shadow beneath his feet starts to seethe and coil up around his feet. Like a pair of snakes writhing up and covering every exposed inch of flesh in a stead, rapid march to the tip of his head. As he watches the shadows rise, the male's eyes quickly expand and his pupils dilate, then narrow into thin, vulpine slits.

"This is new." It swallows his form in mere moments and wreathes it in a pitch-black haze, which only seconds late erupts in snowy white tufts of fur. Fluff and fur explode out of shadow as his form shifts behind the veil. The shadows recede to the ground as the rest of his form is revealed, an anthropomorphic fox* with pure white** fur, a maw full of brilliantly sharp fangs, and piercing red eyes***.

"That was dramatic as all hell," Jaeger grins, all fangs with pitch black lips under his fur. "I like it." He says simply, standing and re-acclimating himself to his true form now that he'd had the chance to change back.

------------------------------------
* Rather like this, except in all white with red eyes. He's fluffy as hell.
** This changes between forms.
*** These do not.
Last edited by BringMeThatHorizon on Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.