07.14c: Trial of Fire

The goings on of courts
Joshua
Gibbering

07.14c: Trial of Fire

Post by Joshua »

It's several hours before noon*, and within the fort of Ht'Gon, there's a small gathering of leaders in Morgana's throne chamber. This time, it's much more empty, with less than ten people around the central meeting area.

In attendance are Morgana, Alys and Lyra** as well as:
  • Hrido, who appears as a human boy (about 3' 5") with messy brown hair, light brown eyes, and small ears. He wears modest peasant garments (patched for winter) and has several small mining tools hang from his belt. There is no indication of youth from him, and the others are giving him a several foot gap.
  • Morek. The dwarf leader of the merchants.
  • Kothir. That black orc that challenged Cameron.
  • Thanus Rel. the goblin alchemist…
  • and two or three people who might need to see this retroactively.
All prepared for Harrune to arrive and be challenged.
Raving Mad

Re: 07.14c: Trial of Fire

Post by misfit »

The doors to the throne room swing wide and Harrune strides into the room. He is uncharacteristically dressed in chain armor and wearing a helmet. (In typical Cani style, his ears and tail are exposed). The is a plan but serviceable looking long sword at his belt. Those with even a modest amount of Warfare will note that his normal body language has changed. His demeanor is not as relaxed as normal, and he moves as one used to wearing armor and weapons. He is flanked by Alaror on one side and Cheknou on the other.

He advances to an appropriate position and kneels facing Morgana. "Morgana, rules of Ht'Gon An-rit." He turns his head towards the Amberites. "Lady Alystrakos Obsidia Sybaris. Lydre-Altherin Lyra. (Cameron McAllister?*). (Aibne Grant?*)" He looks to the other. "Nobles of Ht'Gon An-rit. I, Harrune Tharassa Tyrnath Reran, come before you to face the justice of your Court." He stands. "One of your number has already seen fit to issue a challenge to me. If any other wishes to, now would be an appropriate time before we come to other business."**

*Just in case either/both has managed to drop in. ;)
**For those who may have forgotten, Harrune is here, and least officially, to deal with the issue of the assassination attempt on Osmund and himself. I would assume that those present are aware of what happened, but Morgana was trying to keep word from spreading.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys watches Harrune's arrival just a hint of a smile on her face, and nods in response to his greeting, but is otherwise silent and composed.

Her outfit for this event is what she considers casual wear: a set of red apparently-silk sashes anchored to bits of golden jewelry, with the only obvious weapons an ornate scimitar at her waist - and the black-and-red hound Tinder at her side.
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

Post by ShadowOfPreservation »

At Harrune’s words, Lyra rises to issue her challenge. Having prepared for this moment, she’s attended the meeting in her hybrid Shadow Dragon form but bears only a simple flail for a weapon. The ornate black and silver armor she’s worn in public of late is notably absent however, instead replaced with simple leather.

"Harrune Tharassa Tyrnath Reran, I Lydre-Altherin Lyra of Ht'gon An-rit issue a challenge of combat, so that you may prove yourself fit to walk among even the most skilled fighters of our Court."

The challenge was clearly expected as Harrune simply replies, "State your terms."

"I would not have this end in unnecessary harm to either of us,” she continues. “I propose our duel be decided by the first to land three strikes on his or her opponent, so as to prevent the decision being determined by luck."
Again Harrune responds with a simple, "I agree", in uncharacteristically somber tones.

Lyra nods her acceptance of the terms and moves from her place to the large open space before the throne. The two combatants begin to circle slowly as they size each other up, Lyra drawing and setting her flail into a quick spin to loosen up as Harrune draws his long sword in response. This is certainly not the Harrune Lyra’s become accustomed to since her arrival in Amber. The Cani is focused on this moment and moves with deftness she’s come to recognize as that of a highly skilled warrior. Normally confident in her fighting skill, the change in demeanor is enough to give her pause as so as she moves in to strike, her swings are cautious, careful to always retain her balance and not leave any openings.

Harrune easily dodges and counters each strike, with no indication of effort or concern. His maneuvers retain artful flourishes at first, a style clearly made to put on a show. Like Lyra however, his focus is on defense and his counters are similarly intercepted by her heavy flail. He’s clearly aware of what her weapon is capable of though and is careful not to let the spinning metal trap his blade. Lyra smiles inwardly, glad for a real challenge.

She brings her flail to bear so as to draw Harrune’s blade to the side, creating an opportunity. Stepping within the Cani’s guard, she swipes across with her left hand, sharp claws aiming for her first strike. Harrune, clearly used to fighting opponents with natural weaponry, simply steps back out of her reach, not surprised in the least.

The two trade blows, each leaving the other few opportunities to score a hit. Lyra spins her flail faster, striking with what would be considered blinding speed to all but the most skilled fighters. Still Harrune counters and dodges, continuing to show off somewhat for those assembled. While Lyra’s sure his maneuvers aren’t meant as a taunt, forcing him to focus more on her attacks is beginning to seem like a more achievable goal than actually scoring a hit.

Trying to take advantage of the strength and endurance her draconic form grants her, Lyra presses her attack to the limit, going all out in an effort to slip inside Harrune’s defenses and score the first hit of the match. Each blow is picked off and turned aside with skill and precision but she doesn’t let up, assaulting her opponent with a flurry of blows and forcing him back a step. It quickly becomes apparent that even this concession to her onslaught was a calculated maneuver as Harrune unexpectedly blurs with motion, exploding into a furious offensive barrage of strikes the Shadow Dragon was unprepared for.

As the audience watches, the whirlwind of strikes ceases in an instant and the two disengage, the very edge of Harrune’s blade glistening as evidence of his first point. After stepping back from her opponent, Lyra remains motionless for a moment, her surprise at the strike evident but fading even as the shallow cut closes. There is a hush in the room as all in attendance are captivated by the display they just witnessed, Harrune’s masterful swordsmanship having clearly impressed. Gathering herself, Lyra gives the Cani a bow of respect and acknowledgement of the point before resetting her stance. Harrune returns the gesture and the two begin to circle once more.

After pressing her attack without being able to penetrate her opponent’s defenses, Lyra changes tactics, striking with her weapon in an attempt to engage and lock down Harrune’s blade. He again proves his skill by identifying her attempts and defeating them. Lyra continues her press despite this, unfurling her wings suddenly and leaping for an overhead strike, using her flight for a height advantage. Not wanting to lock weapons with a block, Harrune dodges away, looking to throw Lyra off balance and leave her open to a counter strike. The strike was just the first part of her maneuver however and she lands in a spin, whipping her tail around for a strike.

The dance ceases a second time as Lyra steps back, her tail whipping back and forth to shake off the pain of Harrune’s solid parry. Though no blood was drawn, she’d put a lot of force into the blow and the steel blade batting her strike aside had hurt…and cost her the second point. Though she does her best to hide it as she resets once more, Harrune can tell that the Shadow Dragon is becoming frustrated at being denied yet another point.

The third exchange begins a moment later as Harrune blurs with motion, striking at Lyra with even more speed and skill than he’s displayed thus far. Gone are the flourishes and spins, his bladework now a utilitarian and practical style. To her credit, Lyra spins and dodges, acting purely defensively and deflecting each slash and thrust with masterful skill though at a cost. The Cani’s blade leaves her no choice but to give ground or be hit and all assembled can’t help but be captivated by the display.

It’s all Lyra can manage just to fend off her opponent’s blade and so as she retreats another step, her form shifts. Without enough time to fully return to her half dark elf self, she opts to at least copy that form’s size and quickly reduces in size by nearly a foot between one strike and the next. The change is enough to give her the opening she’s been denied the entire fight and she takes it, her flail coming down and across in a glancing blow to Harrune’s chest, doing no damage but scoring a point. However, she knew what the cost of that point would be even as she took the opening.

As the two step apart, Lyra’s form continues to shift until the tip of Harrune’s blade rests against the armored chest of a young half dark elf girl. Her expression is clearly conflicted as she steps back away from the blade, from the final point, having lost 3 strikes to one. With a final bow to her opponent, she announces, "The challenge was accepted and met fairly. Harrune is the victor."

Harrune returns the bow. "Thank you Lady Lyra. That was well fought".
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys watches the match intently, with only a small hiss of annoyance when Harrune scores the first hit*. For a few moments after that, there's a sense of Power about her, as she double-checks what (if any) powers are involved in Harrune's blade or armor.

At the end, she claps quietly for a few moments, applauding the skill of both combatants.

_____
* While many would interpret this as annoyance at the scoring or the apparent difference in skill, Alys' actual thought here is more along the lines of "I am going to have to help Lyra work on her armor; that should not have drawn blood."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

The audience, for what it's worth, is mostly stunned / impressed by the display. Most have not seen two amberites go at it full strength before.

If it matters:
  • Hrido is not showing emotion.
  • Morek, while impressed, is more making notes of who to recruit.
  • Kothir can't muster the bravado to state he could take either of you. That's saying a lot.
  • Thanus Rel thinks this looks like most fights he's been in.
  • Morgana is smiling at the display. She wanted something that would shut her underling's objections and this should do it.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Once Lyra has returned to her place, Alys steps forwards.

"I do not seek to bar Harrune from attuning to Ht'gon's Pattern. However, I will* place a price upon it."
She looks down at Harrune. "If you, the Ruler of Tir'na Nog'th, would walk all four known Patterns, I feel it is only fair that your Pattern be open to those who would follow your example. The price I place is, therefore, that you allow any request to attune to Tir'na Nog'th's Pattern by one who is already attuned to any of the Patterns of Amber, Rebma, or Ht'gon An-Rit."**

_____
* The slight emphasis on 'will' is almost daring Harrune to challenge her... even in the likely event that he doesn't, this is a subtle statement that Alys thinks she could win a fight against Harrune.
** This has a few subtleties in its statement; most notably, Harrune will be free to deny any request for repeat walks; only the initial attunement is covered.
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

(To clarify, Harrune's armor and weapon are non-magical. The players discussed this scene before posting so it could be done in one post rather than 50. During that discussion the subject of Lyra changing armor to keep things equal came up. Since the terms were for strikes, not blood, it really shouldn't have mattered if she worn the magical armor. The only difference being that if she had worn the magical armor there would not have been any injury at all. Either way we wish to look at it is fine with me.)

"That strikes me as fair, except for a few small details. First, Morgana has not tried to limit my access to the Pattern of Ht'gon as yet. If she chooses not to so then I will extend the same courtesy. If she wishes to offer a challenge or conditions then I reserve the right to do the same."

"Second, the Amberites of Ht'gon have seen fit to challenge me to prove my worth. The Amberites of my Court should have the same right. I will not deprive them of the rights that you have claimed for yourselves."

"As you said, your goal was to be fair. I believe this is fair. If you will accept those terms, we have an agreement. If not, I am open to a counter-proposal."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

(( OOC: Alys wasn't thinking about the question of leather armor vs. enchanted armor; she's thinking that the scales of Lyra's hybrid form should be tougher. In game mechanics terms, Alys is expecting a "chaos form", which I believe Lyra's hybrid form isn't. Yet. ))

"For the second of your conditions... Dworkin has declared it is the right of any Amberite to challenge what would otherwise be law; neither you nor I could mandate that away."

"And for the first..."
Alys looks over at Morgana, "I suppose that makes it up to you if we are done here?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Morgana will nod. "I am curious if the different ones have... meaningful differences. Until those are explored," she will nod to Harrune*, "I see no need to treat them differently."