Silver Insanity

Precious, Valuable Madness
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:48 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 510 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:09 am 
Missing Some Marbles

Ametrine scratches his head. "Um, contractual obligations?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:28 am 
Missing Some Marbles

Willoughby raises an eyebrow to a barely-perceptible degree, and smiles a slow smile at Ametrine. "Could be... could be..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:14 pm 
Missing Some Marbles

"So, Mr. Willoughby, what are your plans for the orcs?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:21 pm 
Missing Some Marbles

Willoughby sighs. "Although I do not wish to underestimate their capabilties, Ametrine, the orcs are not my primary concern. The demons present a severe threat, one which we may not be able to overcome.

Our soldiers, though well-trained, are not equipped for combat with opponents so deadly as these. It seems doubtful to me that their weapons will able to damage the demons in any significant way; likewise, the demons are clearly able to inflict great losses on us in even combat. Thus, it seems clear to me that our soldiers should refrain from engaging the serpents directly, instead focusing their attention on the orc army.

We do possess one possible means for the forces in general to damage our true opponents: the siege engines mounted in the upper sections of this fortress should, I hope, wound the demons-- presuming we are so lucky as to hit them. I advise that the engines be manned, and set to fire a simultaneous volley at a single point in the path of the army's advance, timed to hit the first serpent to cross that point. I do not know whether the demons know that we are armed with such weapons. It would be best if they were guarded by archers, as men with bows may be able to repel attacks from our winged enemies.

I shall loan you a device which, I believe, should damage the demons directly. With this, you may be able to temporarily divert them from assaulting the walls. The fire bolts that form the serpent's primary method of attack are both powerful and aimed without thought to the welfare of the orcs-- as with the siege weapons, even a failure of this plan of attack may prove useful against the general army. Alternatively, it might be feasible to maneuver the demons into wounding themselves with their own attacks.

Mirri is our only other ally who seems able to permanently wound the demons. Consequently, they view her as a threat, and this assessment could conceivably make her useful as a diversion or distraction. I would also suggest, as a matter of course, that Mirri destroy any demon which becomes incapacitated or separated from the group. Alas, I cannot lend her any concealment in this matter, I think.

I myself will take up a position on the walls. I will not be seen, but I will be watching. I have certain objects which could possibly prove useful in dire circumstances. Cornelius, my raven, will be instructed to assist the archers in killing any winged serpents which should target our siege weaponry."

Willoughby pauses, and stares off into the distance impassively.

"A more elegant approach would take advantage of the terrain of this area. The ground here slopes away from our fortress, and we reside in a valley. Were we able to suddenly melt the snow in this area, the resulting current might prove swift enough to sweep away the orcs-- or even the demons. Another of my devices could assist this plan, and I would like to speak to Michael about it."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:26 pm 
Missing Some Marbles

Ametrine's eyes take a moment to blink after Mr. Willoughby finishes. "Er... I agree. Let's do that, then."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:05 pm 
Prismatic Pangolin

One of the soldiers comes rushing in.

"Sir! The orcs are in sight!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:43 pm 
Missing Some Marbles

Willouhgby makes a fluttering motion with his right hand, and then balances a small, red cylindrical rod on the tip of his index finger. The rod is about ten inches long, and forms a bulb at one end, in the middle of which, projecting outwards, is set a polished ruby. Willouhgby allows the rod to fall into his gloved palm, and he hands it to Ametrine: "Let'd do that, indeed. I'm afraid it is the best I can do. This is the device I mentioned, a Rod of Flame Extinguishing. It is normally used for dealing with fires, but it is capable of damaging fire creatures as well, to a limited extent. Point it at your intended target and depress the knob on the back."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:56 pm 
Missing Some Marbles

Ametrine accepts the wand. "Thanks, Mr. Willoughby! I'll use this wand on them, and try to get the to attack each other, the orcs, or the snowmelt." Ametrine takes off toward the battle. "Good luck to you too!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:22 pm 
Missing Some Marbles

Willoughby waves towards the departing Ametrine and then leaves himself, intending to find Michael.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:55 am 
Prismatic Pangolin

Michael is, predictably, on the roof of the fort's single tower.

To the north, the orcs are parked perhaps five hundred feet away - technically within bowshot, but not close enough for any accuracy. The serpents are visible near (but not at) the frontline.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 510 Next