Silver Insanity

Precious, Valuable Madness
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:51 pm 
Prismatic Pangolin

Well, it had been a good day... Up until around noontime, when the courier arrived. Dressed in the black and white livery of the King's own, he had carried a single sealed letter addressed to "The Lady Greywind."

Dear Eleanor Greywind,

It is with great regret that We write to you today, to inform you that your daughter has been kidnapped. We must apologize for the lax security that allowed this to occur. The project she was working on included studies of several recently unearthed artefacts from the second and third ages; We had not considered that our neighbors might regard this peaceful research as a military threat. While We have sent out a rescue party already, we must in the meantime, however much We might prefer otherwise, consider how best to use these artefacts in the defense of our kingdom. As such, We request your presence at your earliest convenience, for there is not another in the kingdom as well versed in the ways of magic and warfare as you are.

We look forward to your lovely presence at court, and regret the circumstances that make it neccessary.

King Darien IV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:09 pm 
Missing Some Marbles

Willoughby sighs a little bit— in sympathy, not out of weariness— and remarks, "Very well, m'Lady. Jenkins shall head the staff until my return. I imagine Pearson will do a suitable job of maintaining the grounds in your absence, as well."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:59 pm 
Prismatic Pangolin

"Good. I'll feel much better about this knowing that you're working on this. At least the king is actually taking responsibility. I would have expected him to blame the captain of the guard, or some advisor. Perhaps he's not as much of a weasel as I thought." And with that, she sets about the tasks of picking out what needs to be packed.

Preparations for Lady Greywind's departure occupies most of the rest of the day - but that's not your responsibility at the moment. Jenkins is certainly capable of handling such mundane matters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:17 pm 
Missing Some Marbles

Willoughby retires to the lounge, sits down, and fishes a crystal ball out of his pocket. He recalls that Lauren was working at a site in the capital, but it's best to check on her health and location as soon as possible. As he stares into the crystal ball, he tries to recall whether the Greywind estate possesses a conveyance that would be more effective than the carpet...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:12 pm 
Prismatic Pangolin

For the first half-hour of concentration, the crystal ball remains an inert lump of glass. This, alas, is normal behavior.

Eventually it fills with a sea of green, which slowly resolves into the top of a forest, drifting by at a sedate pace. Above the trees is a familiar fluffy blue-green carpet - the one that Lauren bought for herself a few years ago.

On the carpet is Twill, looking rather nervous (and occasionally whimpering just a bit). At the front of the carpet is Twill's monkey, who seems to be enjoying the view.

And in the middle of the image is Lauren herself, unharmed, curled up asleep with her head on Twill's lap. She's wearing her normal outfit, with the addition of a plain silver torc that you're quite sure she didn't have when she set out for the capital a few months ago.

(Corresponding point in Chapter I)

Last edited by Wyvern on Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:09 pm 
Missing Some Marbles

Well, now. At least she seems safe for the moment.

It was probably some time before the letter regarding Lauren's kidnapping was written, and it has taken some time past that for the letter to be delivered. With days or weeks in which to travel, at flying carpet speeds, Lauren could be... well, nearly anywhere, thinks Willoughby, perusing a map. Magic does make things so much more complicated, sometimes.

One obvious lead strikes him: the Hrassa shown by the ball is none other than Twill, the famous swordsman. Twill is not known for keeping a low profile, and following his path may well be faster than hunting for information about Lauren. Certainly it would be better than dashing to the capital.

Willoughby dashes off a quick note to the staff informing them of his absence— there had better not be a repeat of that business with the fish pond this time— pockets the crystal ball, performs some minor packing, and heads to the stables. A brief discussion with the groom, and he is off in search of information regarding Twill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:20 pm 
Prismatic Pangolin

The first three days of travel are uneventful. On the fourth day, however...

You've stopped at the top of the last of the mountain passes on your way out of the set of tiny valley kingdoms that border Catian to the east. Not that this is really much of a mountain, here - or much of a pass. More of a low spot in some high hills. Still, it makes for a nice view of the fields ahead, and it's time to stop for lunch anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:46 pm 
Missing Some Marbles

"Hi!" says a small yellow dragon, with several gray stones circling his head. "You must be new here. I'm Ametrine, what's your name?"

He is overjoyed at someone to talk to, and begins jumping up in down in place and twirling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:01 pm 
Missing Some Marbles

Willoughby lifts his gaze from the small folding table on which he has spread his lunch— simple servant's fare: a green salad with a light vinaigrette dressing, a bit of crusty baguette, and some freshly-squeezed lemonade. "Hello," he says, after a second's thought. "You may call me Mr. Willoughby." He swivels in his chair, pauses, and pours a second glass. "This," he intones gravely, "is called 'lemonade'. Try some." He proffers the glass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:06 pm 
Missing Some Marbles

Ametrine sticks his head in the glass to get every last drop. "Lemonade? This stuff is great! Great-ade, even! I'm going drink nothing but this ever again! Can I have another glass, Mr. Willoughby? Did you come here to sell lemonade?"