07.08e: Intrigue Arcane

The goings on of courts
Joshua
Gibbering

07.08e: Intrigue Arcane

Post by Joshua »

The headmaster's office of the mage guild is expensively furnished. It's got celtic rugs, tapestries on the walls, and a giant granite desk with a sword driven into the corner.

The headmaster stands as you enter and offeres a hand. "Greetings... and how may I, Master Wyllt, assist Amber today?"
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Re: 07.08e: Intrigue Arcane

Post by Wyvern »

OOC: Context for this thread: Alys has taken the opportunity afforded by Dworkin's break to go talk to the mage guild. At some point along the way there - possibly via trump call - she added Asai to the group; which means known-to-be-present characters are Alys, Asai, Nathaniel, Tim, and - debatably - Tinder. Other amberites could, of course, have decided to tag along - I don't think visiting the mage guild is Nuall's idea of a good time, though? Not sure about anyone else.

Alys shakes the proffered hand, nodding politely. "Originally, I'd planned to visit simply to expand my own understanding of arcane concerns... however, in light of the... disruptions... at the ball yesterday evening," she tilts her head, "I was wondering if it would be feasible to craft some form of warning system to detect certain classes of psychic entities before they take possession of some unfortunate puppet?"
Last edited by Wyvern on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Veyska
Lunatic

Post by Veyska »

((Starting in the middle does speed things up, but leaves a few things in the air... Most important thing I can think of is how was Asai treated? As I understand it, she got "roped" into coming by Alys because Alys suspected Asai would value breadth over simple depth in knowledge, and possibly also in part to show up the mage guild's purported monofocus on rich gifted human students... Whatabouts was the general reception of / reaction to this visit, leading up to this point?))

((Wyvern poked me about this post a day or so ago, but then Google killed its RSS reader and that kinda' distracted me...))
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

((OOC: You walked in with a small group of people currently known for kicking ass... they treat all of you in the ultra-polite, please don't kill us kind of way. I am thinking teh headmaster is the first to have the balls to say something odd.))
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Wyllt will smile pleasantly and gesture at a number of seats for everyone... "I think we have a mage from a place with psionics... He should have some anti-psychic spells we can adapt. But, I assume you're not just interested in learning such a spell?"
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys will take a seat. "I'm afraid I don't have the training for that anyway - and even if I did, teaching such a spell to one person would serve relatively little use... unless it could have sufficient range to cover a large portion of the city?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Wyllt shakes his head. "The best even I could do is cover maybe a building at a time... perhaps less, depending on how subtle a presence we're looking for. ...I presume you do have at least some idea of exactly what we're looking for? A general detection spell would be more difficult... If you want continuous detection or a scanner for a gathering, then we should think something enchanted."

He will pause, "Does this have anything to do with the eclipse earlier?"
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"Ah... not exactly, though I suppose it did indirectly prompt Dworkin to make that little demonstration. Yes, something enchanted sounds better; ideally, I'd like to be able to provide most of the four court's guards with such. And for the details of what we're looking for... well, that's part of why I asked Asai to come along - she should have no trouble with that."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"well, what kind of entity was it? I wasn't aware anything here could... uncarnate, I think they called it." Wyllt looks to Asai. "Well, what does Dworkin's familiar think it was?"
Veyska
Lunatic

Post by Veyska »

There is the faintest of predatory gleams in her eyes as Asai responds, but her appearance and tone are otherwise perfectly civil as she responds to Wyllt's question. Her point and direction, however, are slightly less so*. "If you find Dworkin's familiar, do let us know so that we can ask and find out. I'm sure such a revelation would be of great interest." She blinks innocently. "As for the entity, <insert extremely high-level arcanobabble discussion and analysis of the Legion entity, with a level of detail that might be somewhat disconcerting to anyone who knew that Asai had in fact missed most of the Legion fracas, along with a few possible notions for how to detect or identify Legion-infested hosts; all of this is done with an almost disturbingly clinical detachment, for added creepy factor>. Unfortunately my experience lies more with research and theory, not creation of magical artifacts."

((*The first bit is mostly a dig at Wyllt, but if it results in rumors of Dworkin actually having a familiar she'd be highly amused. The arcanobabble section is bracket-excised because there's no way I could do justice to it in a reasonable length of time, but the general tone (in addition to the inhuman clinical detachment) she's layering on top of all of that is of a higher-ranked professor talking down to a lesser colleague but without any condescension. Wyllt may or may not be perceptive enough to catch this.))