07.08d: Pattern vs The Shapeshifting Demon of Chaos

The goings on of courts
Jocas
Mostly Sane

Re: 07.08d: Pattern vs The Shapeshifting Demon of Chaos

Post by Jocas »

"Making things. Yes." Jocas holds up a coil spring and carefully twists it, measuring the force by feel. Then he shakes his head and puts the spring away, muttering something about regulators and force constants, before finally turning to directly address Oberon.

"And how have you been? Did you want to come along with Renny after this meeting, see some of the results of my work?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Oberon will shrug. "I stabbed a doppleganger of myself through the head last night. Rather cathartic." He will explain a little of what occurred with the attempt to steal a trump card and the psychic invader.
colomon
Missing Some Marbles

Post by colomon »

"I've been meaning to ask you why you went straight to 'stab in the head'," Renny says. "Seems like talking to him could have been enlightening..."
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

Sadie: "Yeah I asked him the same thing. Frankly, I found it to be a bit drastic of a first reaction myself. Especially at my people's ball. You'd think the surroundings would encourage some level of civility..." Throwing Oberon a "see I'm not the only one" glare with hands on hips.

Priscilla: "Lady Renait you were present for the explanation originally put forth by Oberon, there was much going on, however, so there is no need to feel fault for having missed it. This is why I take notes, so more important people do not have to. I believe the explanation was along lines of not liking people pretending to be him, nor any other Amberite for that matter. He was also acting under the assumption the individual was dangerous or some form of spy." Turns to Oberon. "I do apologize for speaking for you my lord, but see no reason you should need explain yourself twice when both people were present the first time. If either wishes to address your explanation itself that's fair game, however. Speaking of which, and I do apologize my lord if this observation offends you. But I do believe you also expressed a concern over your reputation as it currently stands in relation to the doppelganger's potential actions both prior or future. In my humble observation of my lady Sadie's reactions and the continued concern of the lady Ranait, a stab first, question later policy may not be in your best interest towards building a better reputation."
Sadie - "You have the right to remain silent.
Anything you say or do can and will be held against you in a court of law..."
colomon
Missing Some Marbles

Post by colomon »

"It's just a matter of practicality," Renny says with a grin. "People are generally harder to question after you've stabbed them in the head."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Oberon states, "He was impersonating an amberite. I was the first who noticed, and if you don't make the punishment severe, they won't learn."
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

Sadie has an awkward look on her face like she's trying to piece together the logic with one finger up in a wait gesture til she finally speaks: "Well yes, punishment should be severe. However, one must consider the multiple possible outcomes of attempting to stab a doppelganger in the face as the one he's being a doppelganger of. I can think of several and quite a few have very... well... chaotic or unfortunate endings... Such as... well... the one we did have."

"Also I'm not sure exactly that a punishment for the crime is exactly how people would interpret that. Most criminals are called out and their crime made clear before punishment. Is rather fortunate no one present decided you were the doppelganger when you decided to attack."

"Plus as said, one can learn nothing from a dead man, and well, one would hope their leaders had enough forethought to learn who our enemies are, and, especially if they can take our form, what they may have already done in our name before killing them. Especially when the situation had not yet even turned violent, nor had attempted questioning or capture even been tried yet."

"So are you really demonstrating severe punishment or a potential lack of competence on our part in terms of forethought? Fortunately since you failed to kill him and a capture actually occurred, that is at least a muddy thought as there's no way for anyone to know whether or not his survival and capture was the expected outcome. If you really wanted to make a lethal example, a public execution is far more effective. And no, just up and stabbing someone in the face is not a public execution."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Oberon looks at Sadie a moment... "Uh... yes... yes, it is. Besides, I was the only one who knew he wasn't me. And it revealed him."

About this time, Dworkin will arrive, Darnell in tow. They seem to be discussing some minor matter of etiquette.
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

Sadie growls a bit: "Uh, No... no it's not. A public execution has ritual and formality. It paints a clear and precise picture. What you did was sloppy. It was the equivalent of throwing several buckets of paint at a wall, and expecting to get the Mona Lisa."

"But no matter Dworkin is here now and there are more imminent things to deal with. (Almost sounds like she's about to drop it, but nope) Such as YOUR doppelganger whom, if we are to believe the story held by all, you helped with your completely reasonable, wholly appropriate and well thought out actions. Who was it that had to clean up the mess you made and have her ribs cracked and pressed unceremoniously into her organs in the process while trying to swallow an indestructible razor blade bigger than my fist." *fist held out for emphasis* "Hmmm *exaggerated thoughtful expression*, couldn't possibly be "finger pointing at her shocked expression* me could it? You could have admitted YOUR *finger turning to him, brows furled* actions were hasty, mistakes were made, and apologized for choosing the brutality of the most uncivilized Neanderthal as your first choice at our civilized ball but noooo, too late now. And apparently too much to hope for." Abruptly turns with the stomp of a foot and tail raised (that's right talk to the tail) fully intending to heatedly go and take a seat apparently of the opinion she's said her piece and the conversation is now through.

Priscilla drops her quill which she hastily picks up clearly flustered, throwing everyone present an apologetic look as if Sadie's sudden outburst was entirely her fault and had absolutely nothing to do with Sadie or Oberon in the least.

OOC: Of note, there are no explanation points as no actual shouting occurred, her voice may have raised a little bit, but that's all. Most of the "shouting" involved body language and word emphasis. Just want to be clear so no one thinks that (while clearly an emotional outburst) she was outright shouting at him.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys arrives in time to approach Oberon as Sadie leaves. "Mind if I take a seat here? I'm afraid our introduction got cut a bit short last time..."

"Speaking of introductions..." Alys turns to Jocas. "I don't believe we've met? I am Lady Alystrakos Obsidia Sybaris."