07.08c: The Loneliest Breakfast

The goings on of courts
Joshua
Gibbering

Re: 07.08c: The Loneliest Breakfast

Post by Joshua »

"Darnell and Morgana have started the study of Trump. (OOC: And Eretria if CArmone ever returns...) Otherwise it would fall to me." Dworkin answers...

"The other issue, is what Oagthack was party to in his distraction of Oberon and his violation of his orders from the Courts of Chaos. And this Legeon, the psychic entity that controlled Lane."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys does not immediately comment on the topic. (OOC: Dworkin, you have a trump call...)
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

"Speaking of which..." Turns to Oberon. "I consider you a friend and do not question your loyalty, sooooo... Knowing you are both loyal and friend, I must ask. What exactly where you thinking when you decided upon finding a doppelganger of oneself at a ball, in a court other than your own, and in public view, that stabbing it in the face was, well, the best first choice of reactions? It seems that had you not been so easily baited creating such a distraction may have been a bit harder for this Oag, if he intended to at all and was not there for another purpose with the Lane puppet simply knowing a good opportunity when it presents itself."

"As for Legion, I believe it was a trap to get us to come to him on his own home turf. He clearly works through intermediaries to get to us while we are here, and with everything I've heard about shadows, and magic, ect, I'm guessing what Alys and I fought only had a fraction of the power that he possesses in his home domain. I'm guessing that had he acquired the trump, it would be a rather simple task for some of you to track down where it went, especially Dworkin as he made the card in the first place. And if we were to mount a rescue to get the card back from him, it would have involved many of us ending up in... well I can't say for certain the exact goal or purpose of the trap, but I still feel it was a trap of sorts none the less. I'm also guessing, with the importance he placed on Lane that finding another intermediary that Legion can bond with so well is not a simple task."

"So a question, what is there about Legion having the trump of well, Renny's home shadow, that would make it a risk worthy of mounting such a rescue? What could he do with it? Or am I wrong about it's worth? What possible uses for that trump could this Legion entity have?"
Sadie - "You have the right to remain silent.
Anything you say or do can and will be held against you in a court of law..."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"I see two possibilities that come quickly to mind."

"First, it could have been an attempt to lure someone, most likely Lady Ranait, out to a shadow where its magic works more strongly. If it could kill her there it could return and try again with another of us. Divide and conquer."

"Second, even that may have been a diversion. From what I understand Lady Ranait has been active in the city. See may have found enough to be dangerous, and have been on the verge of finding something more. An attempt to shift her focus to protecting her home shadow instead of on events in Amber would be a reasonable gambit. Whatever she has been looking into merits further investigation just to be sure. It would also be helpful to know how it managed to come to Amber in the first place. We need to know the weak places in our borders if we are to secure them."

"Another thought Lord Dworkin, if a Trump card were stolen, could you deactivate it? An enemy with the Chariot card would be a major weakness for us."
colomon
Missing Some Marbles

Post by colomon »

"I suspect it's as simple as that was the trump on the top of my trump deck," Renny says. "Picking my pocket was impressive enough, I'd be very surprised if he could go through them all and make a choice at his leisure." Renny clearly is still a bit pissed about this.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Oberon thinks for a bit. "I don't like people pretending to be me. I have a bad enough reputation as it is. Plus, I figured he was some kind of spy or dangerous person." He will add, "I don't like any Amberite being impersonated."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys blinks - the conclusions people are jumping to are clearly not what she expected. Then, "We have exactly two unique powers: Pattern, and Trump. Though the former's uniqueness is called into question by Osmund's lesser Power - and in any case, as Dworkin was just explaining, Pattern offers many of the same end effects as Logrus. So, acquiring any single Trump card would represent a great boon to Chaos, simply by offering an example to work from when trying to make their own. In addition, of course, there are the risks inherent with any particular card - one of a person would allow that person to be attacked at any time; the Chariot would allow launching attacks against Amber - an effective distraction if nothing else; and, of course, one of some outside location would be a necessary component of any plan to steal the Jewel."

"In other words, acquiring a Trump card is the only thing that could have been worth Oagthach's presence in the first place. Which implies that he would have managed to make a distraction, regardless of Oberon's response - perhaps by attempting the same move Oberon used, perhaps by a direct attempt to steal a trump himself."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"I had assumed that issue was the reason it would make such effective bait. I assume that I already know the answer to this question, but I feel that it bears asking just to be thorough: Is everyone certain that none of their own cards are missing? As luck would have it, I checked my own shortly before this meeting. It would seem that I need exercise more care with it in the future."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"I think we covered the major things. Sadie, should I bring in the others for the trial, or, Sadie, did you wish to attempt the pattern first?" Dworkin asks... "It should only delay about a half hour."
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

"I see no reason I should delay us any longer. If, however, it seems prudent to you, then I will do so."
Sadie - "You have the right to remain silent.
Anything you say or do can and will be held against you in a court of law..."