07.01b: The Seventh Winter (Fireside Chat)

The goings on of courts
Joshua
Gibbering

07.01b: The Seventh Winter (Fireside Chat)

Post by Joshua »

(From main topic.)

Quin nods to Nuall. The Jester is standing with a small glass of champagne by one of the fireplaces about midway down the room.

"Hello. Nice to finally meet you. You're one of the few I was unable to personally greet to Amber." He smiles disarmingly, and rests his glass on the nearby mantle to offer a hand to shake.
misfit
Raving Mad

Re: 07.01b: The Seventh Winter (Fireside Chat)

Post by misfit »

Nuall grasps Quin's hand warmly.

"A pleasure to meet you my good Sir. I am told that my arrival was a bit...distinctive. My apologies is that caused you any inconvenience. I am Nuall, son of... *wry chuckle* I suppose that doesn't matter much any more, does it? Being the youngest son of a minor noble on a backwards world doesn't much compare to all of this. It has been quite overwhelming. There is so much to learn, but I fear that I was not meant to be a great student." *laughs lightly*
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Quin laughs. "I suppose. Everyone is different and yes, the past does not matter. What you do now is who you are. Surely one chosen for leadership must be able to change their actions." He leans in, "I hear that you might be important. When the cards are down, that is."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"Chosen for leadership? ME?!?" Nuall laughs long and loud. "I know know why you hold your post my friend. But anyone who would chose me as a leader would be even more suited to the post...and should I accept I would be the biggest fool of all."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Quin shakes his head. "The whole of the four courts are the leaders. Tasked with being real amid shadows of reality. You are of the courts, thus you are chosen as important. I suppose within the court of Amber you could be a follower, but that defeats the purpose. Besides, why say you'll be a bad ruler? do you even know what type of ruler you would be?"
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"So far all I've been tasked with is being a shadow in my father's court. I had brothers enough to inherit any post. My sole responsibility was to wait until I was trapped in a loveless marriage for political advantage. That is why I declared war on responsibility. I have learned to fight it with all of my skill and wit. It has bested in a few battles, but I have always left it sorely vexed." Nuall grins broadly and winks.

"Here you tell that I'm tasked with being real. I don't pretend to understand what that means or how to even begin to do so. I'm used to being a pawn, but now it's like I'm on a board with eight different colors of squares. I don't know the rules, which side I'm on or even what piece I am. All I can do now is repeat the moves that have served me so well and hope for the best."

Nuall sighs deeply, then after a second his roguish grin returns.

"Forgive me friend. That was uncharacteristically maudlin of me. As I recall, this was meant to be a party."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Quin looks at Nuall for a while then nods. "It's hard to realize that you're the one making the rules. Perhaps that's one reason Dworkin is choosing his gift tonight. Still, I suspect..." He waves to Asai to join you.. "Others feel that way... Let me properly introduce you to someone similar."
Veyska
Lunatic

Post by Veyska »

Asai drops down to all fours and weaves her way through the crowd to the fireplace where Quin had waved at her. Without even seeming to look, she deftly snags a tasty looking hors d'oeuvre with her tail off a passing servant's tray, much to said servant's bewilderment. Upon reaching Quin and the unfamiliar person he is talking to, she hops up on a chairback and cocks her head at Quin. "You rang?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Asai," Quin says to the lemur, "This is Nuall. Nuall, this is Asai. The two of you have something in common. You both are not used to being in charge. If I recall, Asai used to be... uh... forgive me... A housepet was it?"
Veyska
Lunatic

Post by Veyska »

Asai bobs her head at Nuall in greeting. "No forgiveness needed, and it was arguably closer to what I have seen on some shadows called a 'service dog' or 'companion'. My kin and I helped keep the university we lived on clear of pests and ran simple errands. I helped maintain the library, but I was rather atypical for my species."