General Discussion (a starting point)

Ponderings and notes about how to run a superhero setting using FATE.

Moderator: Joshua

Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

General Discussion (a starting point)

Post by Wyvern »

First, anyone is welcome to chime in here; I'm interested in any feedback anyone cares to give.

Second, the fate core rules can be found here: https://fate-srd.com/

For a final houserules document, I'll want to make it based off that fate core SRD, so that it's usable by anyone. However, for purposes of initial design, it's important to know that my primary starting point is DFRPG (Dresden Files RPG), not fate core. Why? Because DFRPG already has a pretty solid set of rules governing powers; certainly better than anything I've seen from small patches to fate core or FAE. There are, of course, some obvious immediate differences: DF spellcasting has to go. The DF setting is one where, deliberately, wizards are powerful - and most of the drawbacks and limitations on that power are a result of the setting rather than encoded into basic rules mechanics.

I'll admit, it's not quite as perfect a fit thematically - DF has, as part of its setting, a tension between what's a free willed human versus what's a monster that just follows its nature, and that is strongly reflected in the mechanics of using refresh to buy powers. ...Reminds me a bit of the Aberrant setting, actually, where increasing power eventually comes with a cost in terms of humanity... not sure I want to have that explicitly built into the setting lore, but it (or something like it) is definitely an option.
Joshua
Gibbering

Re: General Discussion (a starting point)

Post by Joshua »

Making Superman in Fate This would not work for the DF version.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Re: General Discussion (a starting point)

Post by Wyvern »

I don't see why it couldn't? DF does still have the "An aspect is true, even if it may not always be narratively relevant" thing going on.

On the other hand, DF also has the eight-refresh physical immunity power, which suggests that that would be the proper way to model superman for that game system.

On the other-other-hand, I'm not sure I want to introduce physical immunity as a power that is even theoretically accessible to players. And something like what the link suggests* could work reasonably well for things like "I turn into living flame; you can't hurt me with fire".

* For those who haven't clicked through, the notion is essentially that attacks that you 'should' be immune to, still mechanically resolve as attacks - but any consequences they generate take the form of collateral damage. I.E., if Superman gets "taken out" by a goon with a rocket launcher, what actually happens is that the goon shot out a building's support structure and now Superman is stuck holding it up until search and rescue can get in and evacuate everyone.