Advancement and Catch-up XP

A board to post ideas and stuff. Rules proposals, half-finished characters, or just random chatter.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Advancement and Catch-up XP

Post by Wyvern »

Advancement: Josh has suggested the notion of scaling XP rewards to try to even out the overall XP value of different characters - i.e., give the person who gave themselves stats of 2/2/2/3/3/3 (total xp cost: 105) more xp than the person who took stats of 5/5/2/1/1/1 (total xp cost: 150) until the totals are balanced out.

Personally, I think this is a good idea.
Joshua
Gibbering

Re: Advancement and Catch-up XP

Post by Joshua »

Looking at XP, it does the 1 - 5 XP per session that WoD does... Automatic, Danger, Roleplaying, Success, Wisdom (learning...)
With a small bonus for finishing plots and such.
To this, Cthulhu adds Elderich Experience. Just a few points for encountering monsters (at STs discretion) and going mad.

My initial thoughts are to give out points for:
Automatic, Danger, Posting on Time, Advancing Plot, Learning Secrets (basically the same as before..., just my take on what I need for roleplaying, success and wisdom) Giving out xp for each major thread. With the goal to give out about 3 per major thread. With the hope that we'll have multiple threads going most times.

The catch-up xp was originally so that if someone is particularly active (Or I screw up how I'm dividing the major threads), they cannot advance too far beyond everyone else. It also helps level the playing field for efficient vs non-efficient character builds. (At least, over time.)

My initial thought is the goal is to have most active pcs within 15xp of the 'highest' person. (15 xp was chosen here because it's the cost of a talent.)
So, something like 1 extra xp per 15 xp down, up to double what you're getting?

I was also thinking if we have one person whose being insane to reduce his awards by 1 xp per 15 xp he's ahead of the person in second place... but... seriously... if one person is that far ahead something is wrong... and that's probably handled on a case-by-case basis.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

As a side note... would people want to see xp totals? or just a note of what the highest xp total was?
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Joshua wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:10 pm As a side note... would people want to see xp totals? or just a note of what the highest xp total was?
I'm not planning on hiding my character sheet - Kin has her secrets, sure, but I don't see a reason to keep those from the other players - so I don't really have a horse in the race, so to speak; I'd be fine with either option.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

I guess it's the difference between:

Bob: 125xp
Carl: 145xp
Steve: 300xp

and

Highest XP: 300.

For starting out, it'd let you see how well you min-maxed vs other players, which might be embarrassing. on the other hand, if everyone has around the same level, then it can show that most min-maxed as much as anyone else. Where as just the max would say there's one highest... but maybe not if that's a typical amount of xp.

I'm not expecting much pc on pc fighting, but you never know.
kitsunenotsume
Missing Some Marbles

Post by kitsunenotsume »

I'm kinda interested in seeing what my character's calculated xp is, but I also have no particular preference nor intent to hide*.

*: if I do, it will be Ritual 1 (3XP), Ritual 2 (3 XP) ...