07.09e The Pre-game Show

The goings on of courts
misfit
Raving Mad

Re: 07.09e The Pre-game Show

Post by misfit »

A look of shock crosses Harrune's face. "Billions? I have visited shadows that have had billions, but no, not here. No one has bothered to do a census here, and small wonder. We have new arrives almost daily. The numbers would change in the time it took to count. And of course we have people who leave and come back on a regular basis as well. In Rebma is is very easy for people to drift out into the sea and back without being noticed. The same with wandering into the forest on land. And just try to get pixies to hold still long enough to get a count of them! And then there's the..." Harrune trails off, realizing that he's babbling to avoid the real issue.

Harrune sighs. "The damage he left in his wake? The death of billions? How? What did he do?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Odin will make another double-check of his saddle and gear. While it's clear this is not his normal horse, and a wild one given how much of a margin the squires are giving them, the horse has accepted him as an equal.

"Imagine, for a moment, that this society functions and flourishes. Have it expand to fill this shadow, and all the surrounding ones. Annexing thousands of shadows just to handle the overflow of the populace. Have it last so long that no one remembers this time, and each of you has founded a dynasty that spans worlds, if not shadows. Have them worship you as gods and this power of pattern you have is granted to those you wish and denotes who is in charge in all places."

He pauses and lets that sink in.

"Then someone comes along and cuts Dworkin's arm off and carries that away for an unknown purpose... and he not only forbids anyone from walking pattern again, but all those who have walked it lose their abilities. And everyone who tries to walk it to regain the power or gain it anew dies horribly."

"What would that world look like in only a month? Ours was made worse by our shapeshifting, and the way such transitions have happened in the past, but I think that's sufficient for now to understand the magnitude of what Dworkin did to our homeland. The deaths were not personally inflicted by him, but he offended the guardian of our major power to such a degree that guardian cut off all links to that power. He stole an essential part of it."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Harrune is clearly very shaken by hearing this. "I... But... He..." Harrune shakes his head. "That doesn't sound like the Dworkin that I know. Are you sure it was him? If shapeshifting is so common there, could it have been an imposter? Why would he do such a thing?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"He admitted it was him. The only reason I was able to get from him was 'stagnation'. I suspect he believed the society had become too stagnant. That... is a great sin. It had been unchanged for millennia." He sighs. "There may be a way to undo it, but Dworkin is not willing to return what he took. I'm not sure why."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"I suppose that stagnation is close kin to death. There is no growth, only continuing. I can see where that should be avoid. I suppose that war is about as far from stagnation as a society can get. It seems there has to be a better way. Not knowing the details, it is hard for me to say what that better way would be. And how does he mean to make sure we don't stagnate in time as well?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Odin finishes his double check. "I suppose, if I am telling the truth, that is something to be wary of. Still, it's unlikely to come up for at least a few centuries." He will nod. "Looks like it's almost time. I wonder how these will fare compared to the knights at the castle."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"It is always something to be wary of. We are growing fast and I agree it will be some time before it becomes a problem, so that makes it an issue for another day. The trick will be not to become complacent and forget it."

"Thank you for this talk. It has been quite interesting. I wish you luck. Enjoy your joust."

Continues here.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Shortly after Odin bests Nessus and Dworkin loses a bet, Alys walks up to Krajk.

"Greetings. I hope this day has not proven too disagreeable for you?"
Krajk
Needs a Guide

Post by Krajk »

Krajk gives Alys a faintly sour look and then says, "I shall exercise the weapon known as 'tact' and say that it would be hard pressed to be worse than yesterday. Not for want of trying, though."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys sighs, and looks around to make sure nobody is close enough to eavesdrop. "And what I have to say probably will not cheer you up, either; a few of us encountered a rather dangerous psychic entity out in Shadow today - it was able to control an entire village and empower them to the point of being physically dangerous. And, while it was clearly not a creature of Chaos, it seemed to have some knowledge of and quarrel with Amber; while there are a number of plausible explanations for its behavior, Odin may wish to be aware that it is possible whoever he brought with him from Chaos has been compromised. Even if not, it showed no qualms about attacking anyone who was even marginally in its way - which both he and you most certainly are."