07.08e Elements of Tea

The goings on of courts
misfit
Raving Mad

07.08e Elements of Tea

Post by misfit »

While the snow outside is cold and bright, inside, the light is diffused by several layers of thick paper murals, whose colored light plays among the layers to create an ever shifting display. Several tiers of boxed seating are set around the square center chamber balconies designed to give a view of the sport below. The lower tiers are setup for kneeling patrons to be served tea, the above tiers have more western style seating.

Below is a sparse rock and tree garden, with a tiny water-feature... Amid the pristine setting, a blindfolded raccoon-dog rests in the center, wearing white robes. Towards each of the 4 corners, rests a go-board and an opponent. To the north, is a man in black robes, playing black pieces against the white tanuki in the center. To the south, a red clad man plays against the white pieces of the tanuki. To the west, a blue clad lady, and to the east, a green robbed man all compete against the center, using their own colors.

Harrune enters quietly and shakes the snow off of his coat. He will look around to see if Nathaniel has arrived yet. The games of Go will catch his eye and he will drift a bit closer to get a good look at the four boards.
Joshua
Gibbering

Re: 07.08e Elements of Tea

Post by Joshua »

Anriki (I assume harrune knows all members of Tir-Na Nog'th, by reputation if not sight) is dominating two of the games. It is clear that he is making slightly weaker plays than he could so as to give a good game. Water, the lady in blue, seems to have noticed she's being patronized, and is stepping up her game in response. Fire, the man in red to the south, seems oblivious to the ploy. The other two are a different matter. Earth, to the east, appears to control most of the board despite repeatedly making weak plays. Air, the player to the North, is the only one who seems to be playing at Anriki's level, and it is easy to suspect that this is only because Anriki is playing 4 games simultaneously. (It's clear that being blindfolded is not a handicap for him in the slightest.)

There are a large series of odds and payouts being constantly updated on a 'display' on the upper levels of the center garden (like a baseball scoreboard, where numbers keep changing by someone behind them, moving panels).

After only a few minutes Nathaniel Orr will arrive (with his father was it?), and after a short introduction, will ask, "How did you manage to arrange a table here? This place is booked days in advance and this tournament was sold-out since last festival."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"Ah Nathaniel...excellent to see you. I presume your father will be joining us shortly?"

"Hmmm? How did I get a table? It always pays to have friends, and I am something of a regular here. And of course being an Amberite opens many doors. I suspect my new title doesn't hurt either. No one knows quite to expect from me in that role, and I suspect that, at least in the beginning, people will be trying a bit harder to be in my good graces. Any one of those alone might not have gotten me a table, but all of them together make it quite easy."

"Have you seen Anriki play before? He always puts on a good show."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Nate shakes his head. "No... And I really don't know Go." He observes... "It's about area, right?" He asks, and attempts to make some observations... he's not really able to understand it on your level however. He can tell the lady is upset at being patronized at least though.

"Daniel Orr, my father, will be here in a few minutes. Uh, is the table ready?" He will ask.
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Harrune whispers quietly to Nate, "If you would like to place a wager, I would say that Anriki will beat red and blue easily. He should beat black, but I don't think he's going to beat the point spread. Green isn't clever enough to see the trap and will lose by a large margin. I won't bet myself. The gamblers and odds makers know me too well. When I bet it makes a mess of the odds."

After Nate has had a chance to place his bets (or not as he chooses) they will be approached by a beautiful young geisha in a blue kimono with a waterfall pattern. "Greeting Lord Harrune. It is always an honor to have you visit. I see that you have brought someone new today."

"Yes Kuniko, this is Nathaniel Orr. He is a business associate. His father will be joining us shortly. Can you please lead us to our table to wait for him?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Kuniko has your table prepared. It is on the second floor. (one flight down from where you entered from) and has one of the best views of the game.

Nathaniel declines to bet. Not that he doesn't trust Harrune, but more that he doesn't want to cause issues by using his information. There is a bit of pride, that he doesn't want to take a handout.

Kuniko starts with some basic green tea while you wait, although that is barely brewed before Daniel arrives. Nate's father is in his late 40s, however, he looks a bit older than that. Life in Amber has been harsh for him, and likely was harsher before he arrived. He will nod to Harrune as he arrives. "Thank you for meeting with my family. Your reputation for fairness and generosity precedes you, but I enter without expectation*."
________
*: This is supposed to be a compliment. "You give a lot of help, but I'm not here expecting that's what will happen."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Harrune stands to great Daniel. "A pleasure to meet you sir. My only expectation is that we negotiate. Whether those negotiations succeed or fail remains to be seen."

Harrune will gesture for the Orrs to sit. After the tea is served Kuniko will discretely withdraw (she did hear that they were here to negotiate business after all).

"Your son tells me that you are having difficulties with your silk business. For what I have heard so far the two most likely solutions would to find a way to raise the worms locally or a means to make importation economically feasible. There may be other options as well. One never knows what one will find out in the shadows."

"As I'm sure your son has told you, we have discussed a walk into the shadows to find a solution for you. I know that you are not looking for charity, so I am only offering to take Nathaniel to this solution. It will be up to him to acquire it if he can. I will offer what protection I can, but there will be dangers along the way. We have yet to discuss payment as Nathaniel did not wish to speak for you."

"I believe those were the major points so far. Your thoughts sir?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Daniel's handshake is firm, but unaggressive.

"If we could produce something here... Silk or another fabric would be acceptable. There isn't a lot of lower end clothing, because of he difficulty of importing." He thinks. "Unfortunately, sheep or similar requires land, which isn't available. The forest is simply too dangerous." He sighs and nods. "No, charity isn't expected. At best we would be begging patronage. And it would be difficult to pledge loyalty. Still, your reputation does extend far in this city. There would be two concerns at that." He will delay, long enough to see if you want to hear them.

"First, the initial question of why us? we can't be the first to ask for help. And second, there was an incident yesterday... Would there be enemy amberites we might have to deal with?"
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"Hmmm...let's deal with the shorter answer. As far as I know I have no enemies among the Amberites. I may not be everyone's favorite, but I don't think anyone means to do me harm. Granted, there have been several additions to our ranks recently, and the two yesterday are complete unknowns to me. Also, I can't make any promises about the future. Things could change, or a new member could rise. I cannot honestly say there is no risk. If the risk is worth the gain is something you will have to judge for yourself."

Harrune will pause for a moment to sip his tea and organize this thoughts before continuing.

"Why you? Well I could be flippant and ask why not, but that wouldn't be a worthy answer. No, you're hardly the first to ask for my help, and I doubt that you will be the last. I have granted some requests and denied others."

"There are many reasons why I am willing to make this offer. First, it sounds like an interesting challenge. Second, I do like to help people when I can. Third, I am Cani. We thrive on making connections to others, and this is a way to do that. Fourth, and in the end the most important, was Nathaniel himself. He didn't come asking for a gift, just a fair chance to succeed or fail on his own merits and those of his family. He asked for something practical, not something foolish or extravagant. He didn't ask out of selfishness, but out of a desire to help his family. Granted, what is good for the family benefits him as well, but he still put the family first. He was polite and respectful, and not just respectful to me. He showed you a great deal of respect by refusing to speak for you and make commitments without your consent. While I may one of the most approachable of the Amberites, there was still a risk in seeking my attention. There is risk in going with me. He was aware of the risks but faces them squarely. I see courage in him, but not foolhardiness. Perhaps I am wrong in that, but I doubt it. He has made a good impression and I say he is worthy of the help he is asking for."

"Does that adequately address your concerns?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Daniel will nod. "I understand. And yes, it does." he will observe the games for a moment... "I don't like to gamble, but this is business. I can offer the loyalty of my family, and through them my business*." He sighs. "It is difficult, to negotiate from a position of weakness. But, perhaps you need something more than a simple mute partner. What are your goals with this?"