07.07d: Working Shark

The goings on of courts
Joshua
Gibbering

07.07d: Working Shark

Post by Joshua »

As thing wind down, Odin find himself leaving the ball with Krajk. "I was going to ask you about today, but you don't seem to want to process it. Dworkin seems unfazed that I seem to have one of his amberites on retainer. I don't know if I would ask you for a demonstration of your power... sometime?"
Krajk
Needs a Guide

Re: 07.07d: Working Shark

Post by Krajk »

"His?" Krajk's lip curls in disgust. "I have signed no contracts with anyone here, and the last man foolish enough to try and pressgang me I threw into the sea for my finned brethren to feed upon." He looks as if he is going to say something further, but cuts himself off with a muffled growl. With some clear effort he forces himself to address the rest of his employer's words. "As for powers... Be damned if I know that pathetic siren was tricked into cursing me with yet. The only reason I haven't killed him yet is he was too pathetic to waste my efforts on, and sometimes life is crueler than death..."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Self-deception does not become you." Odin says simply. "You took on a much larger risk to your own life to save that siren." He lets it drop though. "For tonight, Dworkin has set aside guest quarters in the main castle for me. That should be safe enough, if you wish to supplement the guards, it is appreciated."
Krajk
Needs a Guide

Post by Krajk »

((Apologies for delay in posting, forums decided to randomly log me out and I didn't notice (and thus missed new posts first day or so) and then Krajk was busy sulking. Still is, I think, but I should post *something* so post something I shall.))

"I..." Krajk starts to retort hotly, then both temper and words seemed to peter out. He's still quite clearly angry, but the immediateness is less. There is a prickly sort of air to him as he nods curtly in response to the latter half of Odin's remarks and follows his employer back up to Amber's castle. Once there he will take over a room next door to Odin's*. Stripping off the ornamental bits of his annoying costume, he tosses them onto a nearby chair before pulling off the blankets and a single pillow from the bed and turning them into an impromptu bedroll right by the door**. His weapons close at hand, he finally lets himself nod off. Despite his exhaustion, his sleep is light and frequently interrupted; sometimes at the sound of a servant passing through the hall, sometimes just out of sheer habit from many times prior where he had no choice but to stand watch and try and rest at the same time. Occasionally he gets up and slips out into the hall to double-check Odin's door, making sure nothing has been disturbed and that nobody has been lingering overlong.

(*I figure even odds that particular room was "conveniently" left empty, though Krajk might not think of that. Nor will he think anything of the reactions of the servants; he's not going to bully his way into taking that room, just very matter-of-fact-ly appropriating it as part of his job. He'll make sure to pick the room that is between Odin's and the largest probable source of travelers, if he can.)
(**Head right by the door's edge on the non-hinge side, no part of him obstructing the door's swing inward. This is actually him being rather tactful towards the locals, he might otherwise just outright sleep in front of Odin's door...)
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Ah, the folly of those who fail to realize they are the ones who are interesting. After one of your occasional trips to find if Odin's door is disturbed, (likely near morning anyways) someone is waiting for you on the chair in your room.

In full jester gear, holding a wine-glass, Quin waves lightly as you reenter, clearly he's been here a while (no matter how short your trip to check on Odin). And, of course, you have enough warfare to spot the hidden panel he used to get in.

He will smile and nod, dumpy face clearly* not a threat. "Greetings and welcome. I figure it's about time we talked a bit."

Post by Krajk »

Krajk gives the person who'd invaded his (admittedly appropriated) rooms a flat look. Then he sprawls back down on his impromptu bedroll and rolls onto one side. "Talk all you want; there are still a couple hours before morning and I intend to make the most of them." He yawns and closes his eyes.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Very well, but they were your questions." He says, dripping a fabric bag by your head. (Your trump deck.)

He goes to leave by the secret panel.
Krajk
Needs a Guide

Post by Krajk »

((Oops, forgot I hadn't posted.))

Precisely how a snore manages to be both sarcastic and surprisingly authentic at the same time is something of a mystery, but Krajk manages it just fine. The bag gets not even a twitch of reaction, though it's quite certain he noticed it, whether or not he was actually asleep when it hit the ground (or for that matter, when it left Quin's hand). The snores quiet down a bit after Quin leaves, but don't die down into normal sleepy breathing until the wereshark is certain that Quin has left (or at least gotten the point, if the jester lingers overlong).
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

(Okay, technically it's now 07.08... but no real need for a new topic. It's on the same theme anyhow.)

Morning comes a little too quickly for anyone's tastes. Still, as a reminder, Amber endurance allows you to stay up for about a week without ill effects. Actually, the big issue, and the one that's likely a shock for Krajk, is the pattern walk was very draining. One he gives into sleep, it's probably deeper than he expects.

That is interrupted by a knock on the door and the smells of breakfast. A servant is at the door with what seems to be half a pig and four dozen eggs cooked in various ways. There is a small size-salad / omelet on the side, but for the most part it's completely meat. Oh, and juice, water and melomel (in this case: a low-alcohol mead, with enough fruit and spices to resemble liquid fruitcake). Considering the size of the platter, the servant must have Amber-level strength.

Assuming you let her in (and she is NOT taking no for an answer), she puts the food down on a close table, shape-shifts back into Odin, and starts the fire. He starts with business. "While it's likely you've never had trouble waking up in your adult life, dealing with a major power drains body, mind and soul. No pride; take the time and eat." He portions out a quarter of the breakfast for himself, including anything that resembles a vegetable and a large glass of the mead.
Krajk
Needs a Guide

Post by Krajk »

Krajk gives Odin a sour look, but isn't about to turn down food showing up at his proverbial doorstep. Once a fair amount of the repast is gone, he pauses and says, "Several years back I was captured and flayed alive by a local demigod. I think he had a mind to make an entire wardrobe out of supernatural shagreen. Didn't bother trying to ask him when I tore him to pieces the second time he tried, despite still not having fully recovered from the first." How much of that mention is just recitation and how much is a sideways sort of warning is unclear. He shrugs and then continues, "Exhaustion's no excuse, just a handicap. Not even sure I'm physically capable of sleeping a whole night through without waking to check the area. Hell, as a shark I don't sleep at all."