07.08b: Skin Deep

The goings on of courts
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

07.08b: Skin Deep

Post by Wyvern »

Early on the morning of the second day of the seventh year, Alys shows up outside Aibne's quarters and knocks on the door. She's wearing a surprisingly nondescript outfit of brown leather with a greatsword strapped across her back and obsidian-lensed goggles hanging around her neck - clearly prepared for traveling without advertising herself as nobility.

And - if she's reasonably confident that Aibne hasn't had breakfast yet - she'll also have a large tray of food.*

_____
* And, if this is the case, Aibne may note that she has apparently taken the time to ask servants and find out what sorts of things he prefers to have for breakfast...
Draylen
Lunatic

Re: 07.08b: Skin Deep

Post by Draylen »

The door swings open - Aibne is wearing a long nightdress, blinking blearily. He stares at Alys for a moment, before nodding slightly. "Oh, good morning, Alys. What brings you here so early?" he asks, looking somewhat more relaxed than he had at the party.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"You'd mentioned you wanted* to talk to me; it seemed like a good idea to get that done before Priscilla shows up. Oh, and I brought breakfast**."

_____
* Original reference here, though the actual request didn't come until later.
** Breakfast is apparently a selection of bread, fruits, honey, coldcuts, and cheese; nothing that would have needed to be specially cooked.
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

He blinks a little and looks at the large tray in her hands, nodding slightly. "Ah, uh, yes. Please, come in?" he asks, stepping to the side, leaving the door open. "I thought that as a way of further apologizing, I'd help you integrate into the city, if you wanted. And I can show you the mines," he adds, as something of an afterthought. He waves his hand slightly, and one of the gems on the ring - formerly a sapphire, Alys will remember - has turned gray and lifeless, even though the others still have some color to them. He strips off his night shirt, leaving him briefly in a linen waist wrap before he starts to get dressed.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys enters the room and sets the tray down on a table, shaking her head. "No apology needed; I told you that already.* That said, I'd be happy to accept your offer - just not as an apology."

When Aibne goes to get dressed, Alys gives him an appreciative look, before sitting down and helping herself to some of the food she brought.

_____
* Noodle incident!
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

Thin, fine scars are all along his back, largely crisscrossing, and he has many others along his arms and chest as he tugs on his shirt, sitting down in the other chair. He starts eating slowly, starting with a piece of fruit. "Still. It might help you to get more connected with everyone, and it's something you'd probably enjoy." He smiles a little, shaking his head softly. "Thanks for breakfast, though."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys nods. "People are important - more so than too many leaders give them credit for. And you are welcome; it seems likely that we have a long day ahead of us, and I certainly did not want to start that on an empty stomach."
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

"Oh, food won't be a problem," he says, smiling a little, but doesn't elaborate yet. He gives a short, quick glance to his still very full money purse though, his eyes getting a quick, calculating gleam in them, as he continues to munch on the simple breakfast. "Hmm. Do you have much to do today, Alys?" he asks offhandedly, between bites of bread and honey. "I might be monopolizing much of it. The city is larger than most people know - and I might be able to detour to some of the more common parts of Amber, as well."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys shrugs. "I know how long it takes me to travel through shadow; assuming that's a lower bound for your use of Pattern, it seemed unwise to schedule anything else before the festivities this evening. If you've a better estimate of your own abilities there, then you're welcome to the rest of my time today."
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

Aibne blinks a little. "Why would we be traveling in shadow? Everything major is here." He pauses a little, processing. "Wait, I can use the pattern to move through shadow? Does it do anything else?"