Re: 07.07b: Greek Fire

Post by Joshua »

Kizak will take a breath... "I will."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"Then let's see if we can enjoy the rest of the evening."

Alys leads Kizak around the corner and back into the ballroom - just in time to catch the announcements from Dworkin and Harrune.

"Well," she comments after Harrune is done talking, "That's an interesting precedent."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"I think he just meant Noble of Rebma, and not declaring he has Amberite status?" Kizak will offer... "Maybe we should check."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"That is certainly the obvious interpretation..." Alys listens for a few moments to the mutterings from various Rebma citizens. "But apparently not the only one. Yes, we should make sure that gets clarified before anyone gets too upset about it."

She heads off towards the balcony Ashara is at, Kizak still in tow, aiming to arrive slightly after Harrune, Rasanam, and Morgana.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

After a couple of announcements, Alys descends from the balcony, back to where Kizak is waiting.

"Ashara will take care of that matter tomorrow," she tells him. "And speaking of things to be done tomorrow," Alys looks around, "There were a few other people I'd planned on talking to this evening, but it seems they've already departed. We should probably follow suit."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys leads Kizak out of Rebma; at the surface, she's ambushed* by a very happy Tinder - and takes a few moments to introduce him to Kizak, before sending her dog off again and taking Kizak back to Ht'gon via carriage.

She spends the ride asking Kizak about himself - what sorts of things he's interested in, what he wants to be doing in a decade or a century or five, what he's done up to now, that sort of thing. She does, however, try to avoid giving Kizak too much opportunity to ask questions about herself - particularly her history.**

_____
* For certain very friendly definitions of 'ambush'.
** Edit: Though she won't hesitate to answer basic questions like "How old are you?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Kizak is a low-to-mid level beaurocrat who used to be the caretaker (like a mayor, except he only dealt with nearby intelligent and unintelligent monsters) of a small fishing village. He enjoys tribute, a bit of accounting, and making sure that the food he is offered is prepared properly. The most excitement he's seen lately is dealing with miscounted fish. Well, that and being run off by a rival. Still, he is remarkably dull, although that seems to be from lack of experiences.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

After some time of this, Alys is starting to wonder* if maybe she made a mistake... There has to be something special about Kizak, or else why would the Pattern have drawn him to Amber? But two things occur to her: One, this same dullness makes Kizak a perfect test subject for determining the effects of exposure to Amber / Amberites, and two... maybe, just maybe, she has it backwards: that the people in Amber (all the way up to its Amberites) aren't chosen because they're special - maybe they're special because they were chosen. Either way, she figures it should be interesting to see how Kizak copes when he realizes that he's just been elevated to the upper levels of the Rebma aristocracy**.

Such thoughts are interrupted by the carriage's arrival at Ht'gon; Alys exits the conveyance gracefully - and quickly, before the driver has a chance to offer human courtesy in the form of trying to "help" her down. And she turns her attention to the wall of the fort, looking for who is on guard duty this evening...

_____
* While I don't generally include Alys' thoughts in posts, in this case it's much more interesting to do so.
** Not that Alys has - or intends to - make any sort of explicit declaration to this effect. But she went out of her way to establish that Kizak could talk to her and have her listen - and the way Amber's rules are set up, that alone makes him a significant political power.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Some days or nights are worse than others. There are five guards on duty, all redcaps. They wave lightly, to both Alys, and a certain well dressed redcap standing in the shadows by the main gate.

"I've been doing some research on you," the familiar redcap will say. "Offering training to the amber guards. Gutsy choice to make everything a little more dangerous." He will shift, slowly untying the white cloth on his left wrist. "I heard about your fight as well. I suppose I wouldn't stand a chance if I chose to cause a scene here. Huh?"
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys smiles, but it's not a friendly smile. "I'm sure you remember Aibne's comment about setting an example; I'm merely taking action on that. And for the latter... I suppose that depends on what you want a chance at, now doesn't it? For example," Alys holds up her left hand, the metal claws of her gauntlet glittering in the moonlight, "If you want a chance at some interesting scars, I'd be happy to oblige..."

Kizak, behind her, will note one warning sign that The Redcap is too far away to notice: the temperature around Alys is steadily climbing.