07.07a: Within Wheels and Wheels

The goings on of courts
Joshua
Gibbering

07.07a: Within Wheels and Wheels

Post by Joshua »

Ossian pulls the three of you through the trump card into the Rebma pattern room. As a reminder, the room itself is almost a mirror of the grand ballroom upstairs, only this is several hundred feet underneath. A cold, blue drawing shimmers like cold fire on the floor, quivering and makes the whole room seem somehow unsubstantial. It is an elaborate tracing of bright power, composed mainly of curves, though there were a few straight lines near its middle. Perhaps a hundred yards across at its narrow middle, and maybe a hundred and fifty long, it seems composed of a single straight line.

Corystes seems almost terrified as they watch the pattern, Krajk is barely visible near the center, now carrying the unconscious siren.

Corystes is asking, "If he is the new king of Rebma, what do you know of him? What will become of our beloved Ashara?"
misfit
Raving Mad

Re: 07.07a: Within Wheels and Wheels

Post by misfit »

Harrune is about to speak, then pauses for a second. "I was going to ask which you were referring to, but my answer is the same for both. I am not familiar with either of them. I have nothing to base a judgement of either of them on. The one definitely looks strong enough to survive at this point. The other...I cannot say from this distance. He could survive, or he could have already perished. It would appear that we will have one or two new Amberites very shortly. They will be the highest ranked people in Rebma. What they choose to do with that is anyone's guess."

"Corystes, Ashara has served Rebma well and ruled wisely. She is indeed loved. If someone acted overtly against her it would turn many of the people against them. If they are too power hungry, and walking the Pattern without permission does seem to speak to that point, they may see her as a threat rather than a potentially very powerful ally. Ashara is well regard among the existing Amberites and we will do what can for her, but they will be the final authority here. We can only push it so far without risking war between the Courts."

"I have a task for you Corystes. Make sure that someone you trust is with her at all times. Plan an escape route in case one should be needed. If things go badly get her to safety and get a message to me...or any of the others of us. We will find a refuge for her. We can't be here all the time, so we'll be trusting you."
NPC
Needs a Guide

Post by NPC »

"If one can be dragged through the Pattern..." Corystes clicks her mandibles, and does not finish the thought.

"I shall see to that. There is nothing further I can do here." And with that, Corystes departs.

_____
Corystes
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Osmund looks on with horror. "I don't think I can survive that."

Ossian looks at Harrune, hand white-knuckled on his spear. "Should we help or let it play?"
khadjair
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

Cameron stands next to Osmund still. "I walked it - a wanderer and a wastrel. I think you'd... have what it takes." He watches in shock as he sees things play out. "And he's -carrying- someone... I didn't know that was possible..."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Harrune is clearly torn with indecision. Conflict thoughts are written over his face, but too many to read clearly. Finally he speaks, "I'm doing it again. I'm dithering and not acting. I need to chose a path and act. I was thinking of this any way..." He turns to the others. "You three wait here. If something goes wrong don't come after me. There's no reason to risk more than one of us. Ossian, if I don't make it back please take care of my family."

With that Harrune takes a deep breath, focuses his will and steps onto the Pattern...
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Osmund blinks and concentrates as Harrune steps onto the pattern. A strange image of a fractured pattern appears behind him, shadowy tendrils reach out toward the pattern itself. On contact, the image explodes and the resulting backlash, while having absolutely no effect on the pattern, knocks Osmund back against the nearby wall.
Veyska
Lunatic

Post by Veyska »

((Purely OOC post here... I was all set to make an out-of-scene IC declaration that Asai's breathing spell for Harrune had apparently included an area-of-effect air bubble or something, to justify everyone suddenly being able to talk off the Pattern, but then Harrune went and jumped on the Pattern before I could post and it might not have changed things anyhow. So... How are people talking now that Asai's spell went and pulled an Orren? :lol:))
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

(Osmund used a waterbreathing spell on himself and Cameron... Being a mage prepping for a day underwater... For the sake of argument, he used a variant of Airy Water, which gives him a zone aroudn himself that ban be breathed as air and allows communication.)
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

(Relevant parts of this reposted.)

In a burst of pattern energy (actually, without extra senses up, it looks like he just appears. Subtly walking over from nearby, except, there was no nearby.), Krajk appears.

Only the fact that he is still holding the siren saves things from escalating into violence. Between that, his sheer confusion, and his exhaustion his reflexes are slowed just enough his wits can catch up before he does more than start to draw one of his weapons. Catching himself, he drops the axe back into its sheath, though Krajk doesn't particularly make any effort to hide the fact that he'd almost drawn. With a snarl of anger he shoves his unconscious assailant at Ossian, rasping, "And that for your bloody guest rights." The wereshark staggers slightly as his balance is thrown off, but that seems to be the only real sign of the strain he's so recently gone through. How much of that is sheer fortitude and how much is long experience from treating exhaustion as just another foe to be dealt with is unclear (possibly even to him, by now).

With that, he storms towards the room's doors, presumably intending to shift into shark once he hits the limits of Osmund's breathing spell.

Ossian is a little stunned, mumbling something about, "How is this my fault?" but not loud enough to be heard in general. He sighs and holds onto the siren, drawing a card. He's about to offer Krajk a ride back before Corystes returns.

As Krajk is appearing and storming out, Corystes run/swims back into the room* slightly ahead of Krajk and kneels. "Sir, his actions do not represent those of Rebma. Not... Not until now. Please, mi'lord, if you need someone to cool your anger, I will accept responsibility and bear punishment for not keeping you safe during the ball."

Osmund looks like hell, smashed against the wall from some kind of explosion, head still spinning.