07.06e: Underwater Ball (Guarded Conversation)

The goings on of courts
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

07.06e: Underwater Ball (Guarded Conversation)

Post by Wyvern »

Shortly after Cheknou parts ways with Harrune, he (that is, Cheknou) is approached by Corystes.*

Her voice is utterly flat as she asks, "Are you here on duty, or off?" - though she does click her mandibles for some sort of emphasis...**

_____
* I'm running Corystes at the GM's request; she is not in any way affiliated with Alystrakos.
** Cheknou, being a Cani, will note that there are some subtle olfactory cues wafting off of her - but, unless he's got some prior experience at talking to hyperevolved bipedal crabs, he probably can't identify what any of them actually mean.
misfit
Raving Mad

Re: 07.06e: Underwater Ball (Guarded Conversation)

Post by misfit »

Cheknou looks down at his uniform and brushes it self-consciously. He looks up and say, "Officially off duty. Unofficially...." he shrugs.

"I don't believe we have met before. I am Cheknou Lorera Tyrnath Powyn. I am brother to the the wife of Harrune. I will spare you rest of my list of ties. Non-Cani never seem to have much patience for that for some reason. I was trying to have a talk with Harrune on a matter of state and rather got swept along. I wasn't planning to attend tonight, but I'm here now."

"I'm sorry. I'm chattering on and haven't given you a chance to introduce yourself yet."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Corystes manages a (slightly jerky and awkward-looking) curtsy, her exoskeleton clicking somehow in time with the music. "Corystes, Warden of the Rebma Guard. Also officially off duty."

_____
I'm running Corystes at the GM's request; she is not in any way affiliated with Alystrakos.
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

When he hears her rank, Cheknou snaps to attention. As the rest of what she says sinks in he relaxes...a bit. "Off duty? Well as off duty as the likes of us get any way. I think Harrune would be surprised to know how much extra duty I have to pull. He's not the only one who can keep things close. Things are very hectic up there. Too many people coming too quickly. Too many cultural conflicts. We have yet to create a sense of unity. People see themselves more as refugees or explorers than citizens. I hoping now that we have at least two official rulers we can start to turn that around."

"How are things down here? How are you all managing without an Amberite to stand for you?" Cheknou pauses. "I'm sorry. That was very insensitive of me. Sometimes we get to dependent on them and expect them to be the answers to all of our problems. It makes us forget that sometimes we can solve them ourselves. I didn't meant to imply that you're suffering from a lack."
NPC
Needs a Guide

Post by NPC »

"Indeed. It is unfortunately easy to create a sense of unity when one has a common enemy - a fact which has not escaped those here who most resent the surface. Still, there has been little internal need for an individual of such power."

_____
Corystes
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Cheknou cocks his head. "Resent the surface? I don't think I follow that..."
NPC
Needs a Guide

Post by NPC »

Corystes will provide more or less the same explanation as has been presented here and here.

Or, for the quick summary, Rebma lacks official political power due to no amberites, is forced to provide much of the food for the surface, and has to deal with the city using the water as trash disposal.

_____
Corystes
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"My apologies. I get so wrapped up in Tir Na's concerns that I tend to forget that the other Courts have them as well. We may have a large number of the Amberites, but we have a castle that isn't usable half the time and are forced to take space in the middle of Amber. In a sense Rebma is the orphan child whereas we are the unwanted houseguest. One has to wonder how long before our welcome wears out completely."

Cheknou scratches his ear. "The food and the waste are both because we're growing far too fast and in far too limited a space with no plan. Back at home we would have addressed issues like these by getting our wizards together and throwing a lot of magic at them. Unfortunately magic isn't as easy or common here. Burning it to the ground and starting from scratch sounds like it might work, but everyone probably start rebuilding haphazardly and we'd be no better off than we are now. In fact I think the forests would suffer badly for that. Burn just the waste? No, not everything will burn and it would choke the city in smoke...and probably kill some of the fae. Burying? No no no...not enough holes and they'd fill in too fast."

"I will see if I can subtly nudge Harrune on these issues so maybe the next time he's out in the shadows he can find something. I can't make any promises, but it costs nothing to ask."

"Wait...here's a rather crazy idea. Maybe we should get together with guards from the other Courts and all compare notes on our various problems. Maybe we can find a few answers, even if only the small ones. Why wait and hope the Amberites will get around to it? Do you think that might be worth a try?"
NPC
Needs a Guide

Post by NPC »

"Perhaps... though the guards of Ht'gon seem little more than mercenaries, and the guards in the city are worse than that. Have you heard that one of the amberites is offering those groups training? As if we didn't have enough trouble along the docks already. Still, the castle guard is decent, and it seems the Tir'na guard as well, so perhaps something could be worked out."

_____
Corystes
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"Hmmm...no I haven't heard of an Amberite training the guards. That could be good or bad. If part of the training is discipline and instilling a sense of responsibility then all well and good. If it's just combat training to make them more effective thugs it will be a major problem. I suppose I'll need to mention it to Harrune so he can look into it. He can do more about the affairs in other courts than I can."

Cheknou sighs. "I'm already making a list of issues to bring to him. I wonder how many others are? I do not envy him that one bit. We're going to have to get him a staff to help filter out the requests...not that he'll be one bit happy about that. That's something more for me to think about."