07.02: Moonlight Tea

The goings on of courts
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

Re: 07.02: Moonlight Tea

Post by ShadowOfPreservation »

Lyra looks a bit overwhelmed by the discussion. "So what about the chessboard? If it's a control room or sorts that monitors where we're from, does that mean that it's the reason our world even exists? And who created it? This Chaos person that spoke to me when I walked the pattern? Who or what is he?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Seems to me his son would know more than I would." Dworkin will state. "Nothing like finding out for yourself. Still, it's strange to have encountered something like that. Perhaps it is older than Amber, still... Hard to tell. It did end up on this side of reality though. We shall see."
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

Post by ShadowOfPreservation »

"Well, knowing that the passage of time can be manipulated when we go there certainly makes it a bit easier to start making plans. I definitely want to speak with Nathrezell again, especially after coming here to Amber." Lyra finishes her tea and stands. "Our thanks for your time, and for the excellent tea. We should be on our way however as there are a number of other things I must attend to before the hour grows too late. By your leave..." (Lyra pauses for a moment in case Dworkin has any parting words before exiting.)

Lyra curtseys to Dworkin and, taking her husband's hand, the two descend from the observatory tower. The spiral staircase emerges onto a landing, seemingly suspended in midair several dozen feet above the courtyard of Tir'Na Nog'th and the Hanging Gardens.
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Harrune will quietly enter the room. "Good evening Dworkin. I hope that I'm not intruding, but I did wish to speak with you for a bit. If I may?" He'll gesture towards the tea service. (OOC: I'm assuming Dworkin won't object so I'll run with that.) He will make himself a cup of tea and sit down next to Dworkin.

"Well I didn't handle your surprise as gracefully as I might. I'm still finding it a bit...overwhelming, but I think I'm coming to terms with it. There are two things I am curious about if I may ask. First is what criteria you used to choose your rulers. The second is what you expect from us and what the limits are. ...well alright, I curious about a lot more, but I think those are a good starting point."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Rulers are chosen for their ability to keep order. Usually anyway. You, in particular, were chosen long before you arrived here. If you understand who it was that chose you, perhaps that would ease your idea. I must warn though, it is often a quest to find the one you were chosen by." Dworkin smiles, taking a sip of his tea. He's got a very floral arrangement, designed as a hierarchy of scents, where the undertones support the highlights.

"As for limits..." His smile will change from friendly to a more predatory grin. "You will hear stories of other places at times. Places where great damage was done. It was limits that caused them. Too many or too few. I believe I will stay out of that for now."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"So you're not the one who made the choice? I find that interesting. Everyone rather assumes that you had. If you were aware that the choice was made, then you must know who made it. And yes, I do understand that sometimes knowledge must be earned rather than given for its true worth to be known. Or perhaps you are just keeping a confidence." Harrune cocks his head. "Unless you mean that..." He shakes his head. "No, that couldn't be right..."

"Any way I must say the word "quest" is something of a goad. Now I'm feeling the wanderlust to go into the shadows to find my answer. If I didn't have other commitments I would be tempted to leave in the morning. But I do have commitments...and no way of knowing how many more my new position will lay at my feet. At least your gift will allow me to remain in contact no matter where I am. That should mean I don't have to curtail my journeys completely."

"And you gave me back the Tree. That was always a difficult journey, but now I can be there in the blink of an eye." Harrune's voices catches with emotion. "You gave me back my first home, and now I have two. That is a great gift indeed. 'Thank you' isn't enough, but it is all that I have to give right now."

Harrune will take a moment to gather his thoughts. "Limits...right. So you are not setting any. That's what I needed to know. The others of the court will in their own way, and as will I in mine. That should keep me from going too far."

"Oh, and one thing I've always been curious about. What prompted you to create a court and house them in a castle that only exists part of the time?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"I'm not sure I follow. Did you mean that it's only accessible some of the time? Such a thing is quite common. So the drawbridge is quirky... One makes do with what one has." Dworkin shrugs. "It is the way of things on a cosmic scale. If you do not like it, perhaps you can change it when you are ready."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Harrune looks at Dworkin quizzically. "You didn't know? During the day Tir'na Ng'oth vanishes. We can't see it or reach it. Can you?"

"Wait! I can change it? But how would...oh...is that possible? Yes, I think I being to see...at least in a very broad sense. It would take a great deal of time to learn the finer points of it. It's certainly not the sort of thing one could risk botching. I think I see how I could begin to learn. I will have to think about that carefully."

"You've given me a great deal more tonight that I first realized. I think it will take me a great deal of time to understand just how much. Again, I thank you."

Harrune grins. "So, are there any more pearls of wisdom you'd care to surprise me with this evening?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"I preferred you in this position because you're willing to explore what pattern can do." He will say simply. "While law is needed, growth is also required."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Harrune looks at Dworkin with a look of mock surpise. "Why Dworkin, that was an answer most people here would consider straightforward. I think they might consider you an imposter for that." Harrune laughs. "I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist that. You understand much more than we do, and sometimes that creates a gap in communication. I suppose it's rather like someone with no knowledge of sorcery listening to a wizard discuss his profession. I'm beginning to learn the basic vocabulary, but I still have a long way to go."

"So willingness to learn more of the Pattern and growth? Those are things I can do. In fact I've been thinking of a few experiments I'd like to try with the Pattern when the chance presents itself. I've been learning mostly by doing...but you're right, I do need to focus more on the why things work and not just whether they work. Sadly I think there is far more to learn than a lifetime would permit."

A look of awe crosses Harrune's face. "A lifetime? You've said that walking the Pattern makes us more real. Real enough to resist the deterioration of age? Did that increase our lifespans?"