07.01i: The Seventh Winter (Table in the Corner)

The goings on of courts
Rasanam
Lunatic

07.01i: The Seventh Winter (Table in the Corner)

Post by Rasanam »

Morgana has, by this point, finished double checking her enchantments, and taken a seat at a table in one of the corners of the room, near the three thrones and the balcony. The various lesser nobles are - as always - giving her plenty of room, and the other seats at the table are empty.

Rasanam makes his way over from the refreshments table, a still mostly full glass of wine in one hand.

"Hello again. Nice view of the room from over here, too." Rasanam nods politely, and takes one of the seats next to Morgana. Once he's set down his wine glass, he flips to a blank page in one of his sketchbooks and starts drawing the scene.
Joshua
Gibbering

Re: 07.01i: The Seventh Winter (Table in the Corner)

Post by Joshua »

"Nice to meet you as well." Morgana will nod. "I did have a question... Regarding your view of the courts, and your and Lyra's role in them." She will shrug. "Tensions are generally low between courts, but with each new influx of people, things can change."
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

Rasanam shrugs. "I haven't given that too much thought, to be honest. I make things; Lyra talks to people and figures out what would be useful things for me to make. I do expect we'll be spending a fair amount of time here... but it doesn't really feel like home. People keep telling me that's likely to change, but it's only been a month..."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Some of us didn't have much of a home to go back to. Benabik ... who you haven't met, went home to do some work and has not returned. I worry about him sometimes." She will smile. "When you start walking shadow... That's when the real changes occur. The realization that you can go to any variation of your old home you want. One where you are king, where your inventions are complete, any change, for good or bad that you wish to make. It is a difficult change to adjust to. I... have been tempted to walk somewhere that has ogres as the normal race. But, I am not that person, and I do not wish to have my dream ruined by attaining it and being disappointed."

She will look wistfully off into space. "Yes, the ability to find whole worlds made to your taste can be a terrible power. It can set you apart from your home." She will snort. "It doesn't have to. Harrune manages to keep both in his heart. I don't see why you can't."
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

"Just... walk to a place where all your problems have been solved? But that doesn't help wherever you started from, does it? Well... unless, I suppose you could walk to somewhere where the problems had existed, and then been solved, and use that to help figure out what to do in the first place..."

Rasanam frowns, and pauses in his drawing. "These worlds - do they exist before you go looking for them, or does the Pattern somehow create them in your path?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Morgana shrugs. "That's... a matter for some debate. I have not discovered a good way to find out. I suppose, since we come from worlds and travelled here, we existed. But, did we exist before the pattern? is it because we can walk the pattern that we existed? It is not for me to say."
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

"Well, let's see..." Rasanam puts some finishing touches on the sketch of the room, and flips to a new page. "If I can walk to somewhere where an invention is complete, then all I need to do to test this is invent something that could - and would - make it to Amber under its own power. And then never walk to a place where it has been built." He starts sketching out some designs.
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

Post by ShadowOfPreservation »

Lyra makes her way over, refreshments in hand, and nods at Morgana before taking a seat next to her husband. She places the food and drink safely away from Rasanam's work before leaning over to give him a light peck on the cheek and examine his design. "I only caught the tail end of that but it sounds like a good way to test the theory. Discussing Pattern Theory is much more interesting than debating the pros and cons of import restrictions, although that lead to a nice discussion with Harrune and Asai. How have you two been faring?"
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

Rasanam smiles back at Lyra. "Well enough; the conversation has gone from politics to homes to Pattern, without stopping overlong in any one place..."

The designs are still at the concept sketch stage, but seem to be rapidly narrowing in on a creature that's something like a cross between an otter and a lionfish, its scales and fins decorated with mystic runes. And a sketch of a skeleton (with some markers denoting muscle patterns and attachment points) demonstrates that "creature" is in fact the correct term; a few of the early sketches are more clockwork or construct-like, but it seems Rasanam is remembering a comment from Dworkin that living things tend to work more places than non-living ones do.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Morgana will ask... "Rasanam, not to cause issue... but aren't you just using a method of pattern conjuration if you do it that way?"