07.01h: The Seventh Winter (Fae-touched)

The goings on of courts
Joshua
Gibbering

07.01h: The Seventh Winter (Fae-touched)

Post by Joshua »

Ossian is dressed formally, royal tunic and leggings, a slight frill to his shirt and sleeves. A circlet of silver wings adorns his head and frames his sharp, bird-like features. Instead of his normal spear, he has a formal dress-rapier (in working order, of course). His frame is thin, almost frail in contrast to Alys. Who he intercepts, as she walks away from the refreshments.

"Greetings mi'lady Alystrakos Obsidia Sybaris. I am Ossian, potential heir of Tir'na Nog'th, and I had hoped to make the acquaintance of such an intriguing woman before the less refined members of the court make you think all of us are like that." He will say, offering to take her hand for a formal kiss.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Re: 07.01h: The Seventh Winter (Fae-touched)

Post by Wyvern »

"Dworkin does seem to take all kinds, doesn't he?" Alys says, as she accepts the formal greeting with practiced grace.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"I suspect his desire is not for skill, but for pattern." Ossian says. "Forgive me for prying, but I heard you were not here for the pattern. I've only heard of Quin doing that before. I found it... worth looking into." He will smile warmly, although it is still quite cold. "And then I saw that you have some... strong abilities, and that was also interesting."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys shrugs. "Pattern is certainly a Greater Power, compared to things like sorcery or shadowcrafting. But I do not actually need it, and power always has a price. Still, I should have at least a few centuries before I have to make a decision on the matter."
Last edited by Wyvern on Mon May 18, 2015 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Well, if you wish, I would enjoy acting as a patron for you on your time here. It is nice to have someone with real authority able to back your actions." He will smile. "And what do you know of sparring? Where I am from, there are fierce warrior women who can shame most men with their prowess. Are you of a similar culture? You'll have to forgive me for not having my proper weapon with me, but perhaps another time I can show you my strength."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"An interesting offer, and certainly a form of power less costly than Pattern. Worth consideration if I find myself needing to exceed what authority I have."
The second sentence is punctuated with a subtle motion - Alys draws one of her (many) concealed daggers, and makes as if to throw it at Ossian. This is obviously a feint - Ossian could not react at all, and the dagger would end up back in its sheath, unbloodied. But it's equally obviously a test; someone at chaos rank warfare wouldn't even notice the threat, and even "mere" amber rank would not escape an actual attack unscathed. (Alys is demonstrating mid-ranked warfare, here; so, 15 points worth. Only about 10 is going into the feint, though; the rest is going towards making sure this isn't visible to any of the guards.)
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Ossian steps forward, within her attack, one arm going around her waist, one grasping her wrist smoothly. His own dagger (in the hand around her waist) taps her on the side with the hilt, clinking against another concealed weapon. He frowns. "That's quite impressive." He will admit. "Especially if this was an attempt to get my arm around you." He grins, "But, I have other engagements for dinner. I could change them if you wish."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

(Edit: Just to add a bit of clarity to the above posts: Alys feinted an attack; Ossian responded by moving in and grabbing her wrist - which Alys could have contested with strength; she didn't bother, since an actual successful attack wasn't the point. Ossian also feinted an attack - in his case "stabbing" Alys with the hilt of a dagger - which Alys defended against with warfare; that there was a sheathed weapon there indicates that, had Ossian's attack been real, it would not have gone home.)

Alys smiles, and the dagger she'd drawn vanishes back into its concealed sheath. "Only if it was worth having it there. Most people wouldn't have even noticed."

Then she backs up the topic a moment, and asks, "Is Rogbar's attitude towards duels common around here? I thought it a good sign that the castle guard showed no preference. It would be useful to know how many - or perhaps, which specific - people I might need to, as you put it, shame."
Last edited by Wyvern on Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Chivalry isn't dead, but it is around. Oberon is... an interesting one, in that regard. I was raised not to raise arms against a lady. Still, a warrior equal is another matter." He will grudgingly admit, "I would need to fight quite dishonorably to beat you I believe. I would not do so in a duel however."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys shakes her head. "Different times, different places... personally, I would not claim a noble title if I did not feel I had the power to defend that claim."