07.01c The Seventh Winter (On the Other Side)

The goings on of courts
Veyska
Lunatic

07.01c The Seventh Winter (On the Other Side)

Post by Veyska »

(Continued from Lounge of the Giant.)

Rising up onto her hind feet, Asai tilts her head and says to Alys, "What's that you're doing? It's different!"

((I couldn't resist the name, heh.))
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Re: 07.01c The Seventh Winter (On the Other Side)

Post by Wyvern »

Alys glances down, her attention still clearly on the Power she's calling up. "Hm? Oh, just a little trick I picked up from the Unicorn."

A moment later, the power stabilizes, and Alys adds, "And you must be Asai. Unless some other cat has been attuned to the Pattern since the records I was looking at were written." She holds out one hand - an ambiguous gesture; it's either an offer to shake hands, or an offer of a hand to sniff at. "I am Lady Alystrakos Obsidia Sybaris. A pleasure to meet you."
Veyska
Lunatic

Post by Veyska »

"Little, hm?" Despite the alien timbre of Asai's voice, it's clear she finds that choice of adjective amusing. She gives the proffered hand a firm shake*, taking absent-minded care to keep her claws sheathed as she does so. "If 'tis so little, perhaps you might teach a scholar of it? I would also be quite interested to hear of your encounter with this Unicorn. I've encountered countless references to such beasts over the ages but most are hearsay and rumors, having no more substance than a fever dream, or all too mundane like the variety that existed on my shadow of origin. Oh, and while I'm thinking of it, you have my thanks for properly reshelving the books you read the other day. If ever you are uncertain of the proper location, or even just in a hurry, there are also designated shelf sections and tables for such books as need to be returned." The feline's blue-green eyes twinkle as she saunters from subject to subject (it's definitely not a frenetic racing, but there is a definite momentum to her words, rather like a cat stalking a particularly elusive beetle), full well aware of the sort of impressions she might be making and laughing at the thought that she might need to worry about them.

* Those with high enough Psyche or Warfare might notice the handshake has a touch of rote-ness too it, almost like a memorized dance, but it is very polished and barely noticeable.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys looks over Asai carefully before answering.
"No, I don't think I can - you don't have quite the right eyes for it. As for my encounter with the Unicorn..." she pauses, and closes her eyes. The Power she's using flickers for a moment before stabilizing; whatever she was thinking of seems to have disrupted her concentration some. "Perhaps some other time; She was quite helpful, but the memories on either side of that are not ones I wish to dwell upon."

"And it was no problem; the filing system may be a bit unique, but it's not difficult to simply put things back where I found them. Although, speaking of books," Alys opens her eyes again, and scans the room carefully*, "I believe I heard the announcer mention one of the more useful authors. Shall we go introduce ourselves to Tabodi Silverbar?"

Alystrakos turns to start heading in the direction of the dwarf in question, though she doesn't actually start walking until she gets a response from Asai.

_____
* It should be fairly clear to Asai that this was something of an excuse to scan the room with whatever Power it is that Alys is using; the Power itself fades a moment after the scan is done, and Alystrakos' gaze lingers longer on the Amberites in the room (and Lyra in particular) than any of the lesser nobles.
Veyska
Lunatic

Post by Veyska »

"Just because I lack wings doesn't mean I can't learn how to fly, at least in a purely theoretical sense," Asai comments. "Ah well, there is always the morrow for both matters, there's more sport in the chase anyhow." She greets Alys' conversational diversion with a classic patently inscrutable cat Look which loses nothing in its translation across forms, but waves amiably enough for Alys to take the lead and follows in the larger female's wake with every evidence of good cheer.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"If I wished to learn how to fly, I would start by acquiring wings... or finding a place where I did not need them. Though that does raise an interesting related question: how would you go about teaching how to use the power of the Pattern to one who was not attuned to it?"

Alystrakos cuts a straight line through the crowd; it's not that she's pushing anyone aside - but she has the air of an apex predator, and few of those in her path are so self-absorbed as to stay in her path, even if many of them don't realize quite why they decided to give her room.

By contrast, Tabodi Silverbar is that self-absorbed. She's currently deep in a discussion with Father-Confessor Lane on the theological ramifications of Dworkin's judgement that keeping secrets from the state merits a death penalty, and whether or not this implies that secrets in general can be considered evil, and whether or not "you didn't ask" would be an acceptable defense, and how (or if) this applies to royalty keeping secrets from each other.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"That, of course, would assume that the pattern isn't capable of making sure its agents get along..." Father-Confessor Lane will counter, the priest dressed sharply in black and white. He will look up casually as Alys approaches. Making his gaze more and more obvious until Tabodi notices. "Hello. Lady Alystrakos Obsidia Sybaris. Was there something an honored guest of Dworkin desires?" He will avoid offering his hand for a formal introduction until Tabodi responds.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alystrakos nods politely to Lane, but turns to Tabodi as she answers his question. "I simply wished to express my gratitude for one of the more useful books in the castle library; Tabodi's history of Amber was quite helpful for a new arrival trying to figure out what Dworkin is up to."

Tabodi takes a moment to curtsy and recover her composure before gushing, "Oh! Lady Alystrakos! I was hoping to meet you here; might I trouble you with a few questions about how Dworkin found you?" She pauses a moment before adding, "Wait, do you mean to say you actually have some idea of what Dworkin is up to?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Lane will chuckle a little. "I'm afraid that this is well beyond my area of expertise. If I may bow out my Lady. I have others I should speak to." He will offer a formal bow before stepping away.
Veyska
Lunatic

Post by Veyska »

As Alystrakos and Tabodi begin speaking, Asai deftly snags a small tray of hors d'oeuvre from a passing servant, taking advantage of his momentary distraction. In the time between one step and the next, as the servant realizes his tray was no longer his, the rust-furred Amberite has already turned back towards the intriguing conversation and nimbly scoffed a piece involving some sort of smoked fish. Setting it down on a small table she'd pulled over with her tail while the theft and sampling had taken place, she then scoots the table into a position equally accessible to all present. This done, she picks up another savory appetizer and begins nibbling at it, eyes bright and ears perked as she takes in the conversation.