FAQ

Rules questions, useful links, and the like.
Joshua
Gibbering

FAQ

Post by Joshua »

Can I ask a question?
IM, e-mail, send a pm, or post it as a reply here. ^_^

Rules and Setting:
Most of these have their own threads. In alphabetical order:
Attributes, Character Creation, Dworkin's Trump Decks, Experience Points, Powers, Rules (And Stuff), (Basic) Setting Info, Differences from the Novels, What's a Pattern walk?

Joining:
I haven't been invited/am late to the game/don't have a rulebook/have no idea what Amber is, can I still join?

Yes. Yes, you can.
  • No invite: You may consider the game open invite. If you want to play, let me know. If you want to invite people, you may. If you found us through a web search, you're welcome to join, just send me a PM/e-mail when you can.
  • Joining Late: I do not automatically raise people up to the current XP level, but I will be giving new people a 50% boost to XP until they catch up. That's described in a bit more detail on the XP thread.
    Keep in mind that even starting characters are powerhouses who can destroy reality. You're not at as much of a disadvantage as you think.
  • No Rulebook: First, it's very rules light, so the rulebook might not be needed. Second, let me know and I can get you a copy.
  • What is Amber?: The rulebook has a very good 10 page summary of the book series. We also have the book series, and have a basic background thread. The good news is that the setting takes place millennia before the books, so much has been changed or not found yet. For an overview of what this world looks like: Try here.
    Alternately, you could play someone who doesn't know any of this and enjoy the ride. For what the beginning of that ride looks like try "this thread".
Threads:
Can I make my own thread?
Yes. If it's a subthread, let me know and I can help you with the linking. If it's a completely new scene (or a flashback or whatever), you are welcome to do so. If you're unsure, let me know and I'll help get it setup properly.
I may adjust the name of the thread to match the naming scheme I have in my head, but that shouldn't be a problem.

How do I deal with time differences between threads?
The short answer: Eih.
The long answer: Amber has flexible time. The castle itself has odd pockets of time where guards vanish and come back aged 10 years or disappear for a week to a a year without being aware of time passage. Once you get off in shadow, time gets even weirder. So, the statement is simply: Eih, don't worry about it, time is more of a guideline in Amber. The thought is that time can speed up or slow down in a scene so stuff matches when they intersect, and don't worry about it too much.

Can I be in more than one thread at a time?
Sorta.
Due to weird time issues (or people who are slow to post) you may wish to join a second thread before your current one is done. I don't have a problem with that. I think a note in the original thread as a courtesy would be fine. ("My character was going to leave after the next post / your character gives an answer.") Again, Rule 1 applies.
The other option is if there is a flashback thread. Some of you have encountered each other before, so feel free to work on a dynamic flashback. There's actually no need to ask my permission to do that, and I'll try to post stuff on the timeline so things don't clash.

When can I join a sub-thread?
Generally, sub-treads occur close to the main thread. As such, switching between them is relatively fast. As a courtesy, you may want to wait for a lull in the thread (as if it was a real conversation) or make a quick post of "I'm headed over." Again, if you're worried, send an IM, PM or e-mail, chances are the participants won't care with a short heads-up.

When can I join a thread?
Generally, threads are separated by time, distance, or similar. Entering is mostly just figuring out how your character would get there, and a bit of when. If there's a question, check with me or whoever set up the thread. (For example, if it's happening in a character's personal shadow, you can message that character's player.)

Delays and Posting:
I have nothing to add to a scene, but people keep wanting me to post. What can I do?
Assuming your character is only there to observe and not interact a simple "I wait until this happens." is usually sufficient. You may want to post that again if the thread gets to a new page.
Chances are that's not quite what's going on.
  • If there's a few people in a scene and you want to let someone go first, (say in a social situation, where you want to give someone a chance to ask a follow-up question before you chime in), you can e-mail, IM or pm the person to say "Why don't you go again?" This method works best if you think it's just a single "turn" you're going to skip.
  • If you're interested in the scene, but feel a bit overwhelmed, IM, e-mail or pm the people involved. I'm sure they'll have some suggestions, or perhaps explanations, or ideas. We're all friendly here. (At least, everyone I personally know.)
  • If your character isn't involved in the scene... Leave it. Slip out the back and find something interesting to do. There are lots of NPCs and secrets and such to poke at. Chances are one of them can engage you.
  • If you're not sure what you want to do at all, let me know. I know I can suggest something.
I'm waiting for people to catch up for a group scene. What can I do?
It happens. There's a big scene where Dworkin is inviting everyone together and you finished your prep well before anyone else. There's a number of options in this regard.
  • Flashbacks are always possible to do. Make a thread about some part of your character's backstory. Or a minor event that is to be fleshed out now. Perhaps even what your character did for dinner the night before. A benefit of a flashback is that if it runs long, it won't prevent your participation in the group thread.
  • Minor scenes can be interesting. Let's say your character arrives early as well. Who else is there? chat or plot before the group arrives en-masse.
  • Trumps allow for instantaneous communication over almost any distance. This allows a minor scene with just a conversation to happen almost anywhere.
  • With permission, you can always take an NPC in an active thread for a while. It helps keep things active, takes some of the stress off of me, and adds depth to characters that might not otherwise have it.
  • Other ideas that would require a bit more planning but could also be effective: Make a foreshadow thread, have an alternate character who can be active when you're not,
Ack!!! Work got me! Save yourself before it gets you too!!!
This is an easy one. If possible, just throw a quick "Sorry, will be back in a day/week/when I can." on the OOC forum. It helps others plan and I can work something out temporarily for your character while the game can move on.

Recommended Reading:
  • The Chronicles of Amber: I have an electronic version, also there's a 15 page summary of the novels in the rulebooks.
  • Berserk: Very violent manga (NOT worksafe!!!), but tends towards the right feel for an Amberite. 23 years long, but you can get a good feel for it from just the first chapter. (Remember, manga reads right to left, then up and down.)