07.12h: Liquid Placement

The goings on of courts
The Raven
Missing Some Marbles

Re: 07.12h: Liquid Placement

Post by The Raven »

The Raven, after the top hat interruption, has determined that the formalities have concluded. "I think i will take you up on the offer of the guided tour, it tends to be far more informative than the unguided variety." To Ch'Talo: "Around here responsibilities are somewhat optional, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. Though Orren wearing top hats, those aren't optional, (un*)fortunately."

* - The un- is optional. The Raven, of course, has little issue with Orren top-hat wielding** adventurers, but others might find them less appealing.

** - Full disclosure: the Raven owns a top hat. The Raven has many hats.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Ashara will scowl at the Raven's comment but bide her tongue.

Edge will wave from the exit, standing on his toes to make sure you see him.
Chtalo
Needs a Guide

Post by Chtalo »

Ch'talo eyes the otter at the doorway askance, trying to not clearly be seen seeing him. After a moment he gives a small bow, more an incline of the head.

"It looks like I am summoned. Wish me luck." He gives a quirk of a smile, then makes his way over to the entry and the Orren waiting there.

"Was your hunt for the buffet successful?" he asks in all seriousness.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Edge shakes his head. "Nope. Unfortunately. So, what you want to see first? The market is amazing." he will offer, leading you through corridors assuming that's where you want to go.

(First mentioned here.)

There's a lot of very powerful fishermen in Rebma. Most have at least some sorcery (that they use to shadow travel to where fish are), most are highly trained. Most have bagged a fish that's larger than they are at some point. These are clearly the cream of the crop in terms of skill and battle prowess. Most could hit a bullseye with a harpoon at 300 meters or similar.

The market itself is a bustling hub of everyone. While some of the nobles send servants to buy fish on their behalf, most nobles show up in person to show off their knowledge of the fish caught. There's food galore, tastings and samples of most things. The samples, in many cases, are prepared by expert chefs, attempting to give their fisherman's fish a leg up in the market.

Even a few minutes here gives you an idea of almost every accent, most races, the currency, a view of how proud the entirety of Rebma is of Rebma, skill levels, and more.

Edge is well known here. he's not considered among the strong fisherman, but isn't considered a newbie. He doesn't get a lot of respect, but neither is he looked at with disdain.

Ch'talo gets a number of odd looks. Mostly professional athletes sizing up the competition. Most don't push as he does give off a skilled impression.
Chtalo
Needs a Guide

Post by Chtalo »

Ch'talo is taking copious mental notes, eyeing the potential competitors and flashing fang-filled grins at some. He will mostly remain quiet, letting his guide do all the talking, since that seems to be his primary purpose at least thus-far. He will pause occasionally to eye a certain fish or other sea creature, then follow along. He seems to be looking for something specific.

"I've noticed a common thread," he says finally after almost an hour of this. "And that is, almost all of this comes from other Shadows. Is there a reason for not sailing the waters here? I would expect such rareified seas would produce some truly startling game." His tail twitches almost cat-like as he says that, tongue playing over his lip.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Edge will tilt his head. "The seas here are unpredictable. Go too far and you're likely to shift to another shadow by accident. At least when you do it on purpose, you can return there without so much issue." He will think. "I believe the forest works the same way."

He will shrug. "There's a goal to search this shadow out as far as we can go. If I remember, it's empty out for a weeks travel. Monsters and such are mostly a hodgepodge of nearby shadows. Those are called here, although. Most accidental travel is away form Amber."
Chtalo
Needs a Guide

Post by Chtalo »

"Interesting things to note. Are there anything like.. leases or the like on certain fishing grounds? I have a need to fish... and hunt... that grows day to day and I would rather not cause too much of a splash... as it were." He delivers the last with a perfectly straight countenance, no hint of smirk or mirth.

"I also can't help but notice there are some who seem like they would be interested in a fight. Is there any form of officiated duelling or other martial or physical competition? Or are they just ruffians trying to size up if they can take you from me." And that last is again delivered deadpan.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Edge tilts his head. "I'm not sure I understand. They divvy up the areas and local shadows. It's just bad form to ..." he pauses... "We can go into specifics. Still, uh... Why would ... anyone...?" he trails off, clearly uncertain what you're talking about.

"Duels would be fishing related mostly. Size, rarity and danger categories."
Chtalo
Needs a Guide

Post by Chtalo »

Ch'talo regards the smaller otter with a slightly more predatory grin and leans rather pointedly on his spear. "I hunt among the beasts, not from the surface. And yes, fishing is just another method of hunting for me. If that's what you're asking. I just don't want to intrude on someone's claims - it has been a long time since I've had a good hunt, and I might get.. overenthusiastic."

"As for the duelling, that doesn't quite seem to be what they'," he gestures with his snout at four of the tougher-looking sorts who've been giving him the eye, "have in mind. Fortunately, I think they realize I am almost guaranteed out of their league, which is why we remain unmolested."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

It's time to d-d-duel!!!

"That's it!" One of the four aforementioned fishermen, a human-looking shaman, dressed in yellow and black silk robes with a number of facial augmentations (three rows of six 'pips' each tattoos blue over what seems to be an implanted stone that causes a bump) and carrying a spear. "You cannot insult my honor or the honor of my friends without announcing yourself first! Do you claim the title of Amberite and the right to proclaim such things*?"

Edge will wince and with a few gestures will call a spear** to himself from nowhere.
*: It's a trap! Actually, you probably could. Or state that you don't claim the right and challenge him to any kind of duel you were thinking of and make him out to be the challenger. But, yeah, easy to accidentally piss him off more or get into a fight. Heck, if you wanted, you could challenge the four of them to a fish-off.
**: It's made entirely out of wood, with some kind of water caltrop at the end.