002b: Digging for Answers

On/Under the streets of Yuggoth
misfit
Raving Mad

002b: Digging for Answers

Post by misfit »

The sunlamps come sluggish to life over Thirdgate Cemetery, heralding a gloomy start to what is likely to be a gloomy day. The rain has recently tapered off, but puddles still stand everywhere.

Miles enters the cemetery grounds and makes his way back to the grave. If Hawkins is not there he will look for her at the grave-keepers home. Presumably he finds her in one of those locations.

"Morning Inspector. Here's what I managed to find at the clerk's office, but I'll be hanged if I know what to make of it.* 'I'm ready to start digging whenever you're ready...unless you need something else first?"

------
*Seriously, I don't know what to make of it because someone hasn't gotten around to telling me what Miles found yet. We seemed to have stalled so I just decided to start to kick start things again.
Joshua
Gibbering

Re: 002b: Digging for Answers

Post by Joshua »

Inspector Hawkins has clearly not gotten any sleep. She sips from a strange cup-contraption* and nods. "Well, we can talk about it when you're all setup. I figured Mr. Bishop was something strange if he was buried with a ward." She shrugs and yawns, as some additional people from the public works arrive, carting larger excavation equipment.

"Thank you for that. I had to deal with paperwork. Hopefully Berkley will have something on the rites."

Post by Draylen »

Berkley is a little bit behind. He is juggling notebooks and muttering to himself, the tip of a closed Umbrella dragging in the mud behind him. He looks up to wave at the inspector and repair man. "Hello! I'd do a lot for a good cup of Joe. How is the exhumation?"
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"Good morning Mr. Berkley. I don't know about 'Joe' but I do know a good teahouse nearby. We're not quite ready to start, but very soon."

And yeah Inspector, I'd say Bishop was strange. Not many people are executed for sorcery and still get this nice a burial. I found some of the records but looks like they wanted to keep some of the details quiet. No surprises there. Probably sleep better not knowing."

Miles consults some notes:

"Don't know that it matters now, but the judge in the case was a Augustus Conray. The arresting officer was Anderson Vabsley. The witnesses were: Lady Josephine Collins, Baronet Marcellus M. Walsh, Miss Erma Ryan, Sir James W. Phillips, Mr Thaddeus N. Bailey, Chancellor Adella Keef and Brother Josephus M. Thomas. I found death certificates for some of them. Files were a bit of a mess so no surprise I didn't find more. You could ask for a more detailed search if it matters. ...sorry Inspector...you don't tell me how to do my job and I won't tell you how to do yours."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Well, if you want, I can see about getting some researchers on it now. I mean, you probably have an hour of setup before any major digging happens." She shrugs. "If he's a sorcerer, then that likely has something to do with the rituals in the house. Berkley, were you able to figure anything out?"
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

"Oh, yes! Um. At least a little... the creature that got summoned was called a Nightgaunt? There wasnt a whole lot on it - oblique references, and references to books referencing it. I know some though...

"As for the sigils, they prayed to some omniscient blind God? Or all-seeing might be a better translation? Almost a plea for knowledge, and revenge... uh, as far as I can tell, it looks like a "who killed me" type of thing."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"That's really strange. I mean..." She ponders. "So, the dead guy busts out of his grave, beats up whoever that was, and then writes all over the grave-keepers place. And apparently, the grave-keeper poisoned some rich guys bodyguard two days later. Were there any control-spells? And, the one name matched... So, I'm thinking I'll head over to the precinct and see if I can track down... this was a hundred years ago? descendants of these people."

She sighs. "Berkley, you should stay with Miles, see if you can identify anything he digs up."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Miles scratches his head. "Poisoned? Two days later? Looks like I missed something here." He looks around again, seeing better in the dim early morning light. "Probably for the best."

He turns to Berkley and looks a bit unsure. "Mister? Berkley...Doctor?...Professor? Don't seem to be a Sir or better...no offense.
We still have a bit of time to set up. There is time to grab a morning pick-me-up if you're quick about it. Ground this muddy won't be easy and sounds like we need to go slow and look for anything odd. Is there anything special we should be looking for...or looking out for?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"I'm sorry, you had already left. Kim said that someone was poisoned at Feng-Huang's Feathers, the teahouse. Witnesses said it was the graveskeeper." Hawkins will sigh. "I'll look into things. I'll be at the station for a few hours, if you need me quickly. Otherwise, I'll be back before tea*."

Post by Draylen »

"Oh, uh, Mister works fine. or you can call me wallace - I was a professor, but it seems like most of the others here have stopped using that title, so I shall as well. I don't, know of anything in advance that we need to be looking for? But I might know what happens when I see it, if that makes sense?" He pauses and taps his temple a bit, smiling ruefully. "I don't have a whole lot of particulars... but I think I'll be able to see something important if it shows up. I've never really done much for manual labor... even in the war I was never on the front lines. B-but, I'll help if I can!"