001: An Evening at the Feng-Huang's Feathers

On/Under the streets of Yuggoth
Joshua
Gibbering

Re: 001: An Evening at the Feng-Huang's Feathers

Post by Joshua »

It's a corpse, it weighs 165 lbs. It's fairly easy to manhandle it into the cellar between you two and the help. Besides, Miles is on call tonight. Something about moving a collapsed boulder or headstone.

Do you try to keep this away from the gamblers? Specifically, Are you keeping knowledge of this from Bryce? Such an act is fairly easy to do, but he'll be upset he wasn't immediately informed.
kitsunenotsume
Missing Some Marbles

Post by kitsunenotsume »

It's as they are discussing moving the corpse that a well-dressed man hurries downstairs and beelines towards the gambling room with a note. The stone broach rests upon his finely tailored vest while he spares not a glance to the situation in the main parlor, option to take the more direct hallway to hand the bouncer the note.

"If you could be so kind to deliver this to Lord Williamson, I believe that he may be interested to learn that his servant is the focal point of a bit of a commotion up front. Thank you, good chap." Augustus then nods at the door, "And looking fine as ever, Mister Bartholomew. Your grain is looking lustrous tonight, you make a good pair." With his message delivered, the gentleman will wander back out front to supervise - lifting bodies is for other people, but he is less opposed to assisting with doors if necessary.
Mister Williamson,

It has come to my attention that your attendant Miss Ryan has succumbed to a malady most misfortunate, and I hereby request your presence and attention to what appears to be a matter of great gravity.

Yours in Esteem,
A.B. Fairthingsworth
*: A delivered note is probably more appropriate for an 'anonymous' gambling den than going in and calling someone out by name, or so I figure.
**: And in case it was missed, he is delivering this information without physically looking at or visiting the room with the body, or getting talked to.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

The Lord Williamson will be along in his sweet time. His bodyguard may be dead but he’s on a winning streak. So, there is enough time.

Of course, other bodyguards can help move. Most won’t even peek beyond moving. They don’t need to know.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Kin will check in on the gambling room and make sure Lord Williamson has been informed - but it seems that Lord Fairthingsworth has taken care of that already, which leaves her with no more immediate tasks than assisting Miss Spurling, and conducting her own analysis of the tea; in particular, she'd like to know if this was a general-purpose poison, or something that would be harmless to humans.

Edit: Oops, there is one more important detail here - quietly letting Mr. Woo know what's been found so far. (( Assuming he's present, of course? The gambling room is something of his domain, so that seems likely. ))
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

With the body out of the way, Beth can confirm the poison killed the serpent person. Mostly... The physiology is... a bit off, but not nearly as bad as it could be. (The serpent person isn't half-fungus for example.)

As stated, Beth can succeed automatically. It's a rare and rather virulent poison. Probably a particularly distilled belladonna. (Lastfell doesn't have a lot of wild herbs, but they can be found.) There's a bit of weirdness that implies it was harvested from a corner, but that's much less conclusive. It's something you'd need to be a master herbalist to produce. The remnants in the cup might still be lethal.

Do people want a reaction before Bryce storms in? (And, is the fact that Erma was a serpent person on display or not?)
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Kin looks over at Lord Fairthingsworth. "So, since you've decided to involve yourself - how do you want us to play this?" A sweeping gesture indicates that 'this' includes the question of whether the corpse is covered or not.
Veyska
Lunatic

Post by Veyska »

Having done all she can immediately do, given constraints of subject matter and location, Beth will arrange the body into a more dignified resting position and lean against a wall, quietly watching.
bcarbone
Mostly Sane

Post by bcarbone »

"Milady kin,
I am sorry I was unavoidably detained. Shall I call the constabulary? Perhaps I should secure the list of tonight's guests offsite?"
kitsunenotsume
Missing Some Marbles

Post by kitsunenotsume »

"Well Miss Kin, we had been enjoying a rather serene ceremony, before the rather cantankerous interruption. I will expect to discuss restitution for uncompleted services, but that can wait until after the matter at hand." He shakes out a silk handkerchief, holding it over his nose while he watches them do Science! "Besides, Mirtha thought I should get some exercise."

"That said, I expect we should cover the body for now to protect the ... lighter constitutions. May as well give the chap the option to recuse himself if he needs. Perhaps prepare some tea or a stiff brandy to help fortify the nerves if required. I could really fancy something with a dash of lemon. And maybe a biscuit."

Augustus will settle in to look appropriately supervisory with a nod to Kim, waiting for his own contender to appear.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"I suspect the constabulary would prefer not to be involved," Kin replies to Mr. Woo. "For the second - everyone else agrees that the late Miss Ryan had a bit of a chat with, quote, 'an undertaker from Thirdgate Cemetary', though none of them were willing to give his name. As such, I expect the guest list will be largely irrelevant - though it would be interesting to know if Lord Williamson brought anyone else with him tonight."

At Lord Fairthingsworth's suggestion, Kin covers the body with a tarp, and prepares the requested tea with lemon and biscuit. "Of course - and perhaps extend a bit of store credit beyond that; your assistance with this... trying affair is appreciated."