Thoughts on the level 5 Illumination

A board to post ideas and stuff. Rules proposals, half-finished characters, or just random chatter.
kitsunenotsume
Missing Some Marbles

Thoughts on the level 5 Illumination

Post by kitsunenotsume »

Clearly, from the latest scene, the matter of the level 5 illumination might be relevant (and probably is to Augustus as well).

In the most recent post, we have this:
**: Haven't figured out a better idea for level 5 then sun-towers. Basically, every mile or so, there's a giant tower with a sun-lamp on the top. That's.. kinda lame, so... I'd like a better idea (see OOC board).

We have also established that 1) Level 5 is open to the sky - there isn't anything 'above' it in the city, 2) we are dealing with (mostly) Victorian age aesthetics for technologies, and 3) "any 'real' scientist is aware there's some kind of invisible force-field that keeps air and heat inside."

With some measure of narrative hand waving, it could be that the force-field is dome-shaped and glows to provide light. Perhaps it reacts with all the hot air and water vapor produced by the Tok-l devices and Sunlamps being on on the lower levels during the day (since heat rises). We haven't established on what is in the center plate (or how the plates are suspended, really), but it would not be unreasonable to presume that whatever device projects the field might also glow with energy and provide illumination. The seat of government having a tower with a glowy apex is a time honored trope.
Could also be something as simple as a lighthouse like structure for sunlamps, that simply pans light over the upper hexes over the course of the day (which would somewhat disconnect the nobility from the day-cycle of ... everyone else).

On a more discrete scale, I could see various noble houses having tethered hot-air-balloons or small blimps with miniature sunlamps, instead of massive towers. It would presumably cost a fortune to maintain, but it is the aristocracy, and could be mounted or moved as appropriate at significant expense.

The suggestions are not mutually exclusive: The field could cause a level of illumination akin to twilight, and more potent light sources need to be moved into position manually.

In either case, having the upper level with a clear and brilliant light source could be either a terrible idea (since it would be detectable by any passing Mi'go), or a valid defense measure (since it may ward them off during the day).
Joshua
Gibbering

Re: Thoughts on the level 5 Illumination

Post by Joshua »

The plates are technically not suspended, although people pretend that the occasional hill and the steamworks that haul the railcars up and down are enough. (There are 2 - 3 on each plate so... it's not an impossible theory, if you discount exactly how heavy the plates must be.)
OOC: They are most likely levitating due to an aspect of their construction.

I'm a little partial to the field producing twilight, with the rich residents having to 'buy sunlight'. After all, if you can't afford sunlight, why are you trying to live on level 5?
kitsunenotsume
Missing Some Marbles

Re: Thoughts on the level 5 Illumination

Post by kitsunenotsume »

My comment regarding the cost was intended more as a "this is expensive, the rich families can afford it, and that's why they are here", much like the general 'cost' of running a full estate would presumably be. I.E. not something that lower classes could even dream of, and the quantity and quality of 'sunlight' your house can maintain functions as a status symbol and income signal as much as the practical benefits.