Random Characters

A board to post ideas and stuff. Rules proposals, half-finished characters, or just random chatter.
Joshua
Gibbering

Re: Random Characters

Post by Joshua »

The version I saw was body 3, probably a typo. I made that quick edit.

Also, the -2 enhancements for the extra weight is from the weapons... it's... yeah... a bit iffy on a gadget. (this is based on an artifact 1 out of the book, so, not complaining too much.)

Finally, the gadget doesn't grant a +2 bonus. Gadgets don't really do that. They can give a skill, which starts at 4, and the +2 to the skill for +2 enhancements. That doesn't work in this case because the gadget isn't aware? and doesn't come with instructions.
His gadget is granting him the talent that gives +2 to crafts. If he buys the talent later on, he'll have to swap for a different artifact.
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Sorry...maybe just skip and take a different Resource? I'll take a look and come up with something.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Skills from a gadget, LoA page 146: "Provides the user with a specific skill... If the user already possesses the skill, the item provides a +2 bonus."
Now, as an always-on gadget (rather than a charge limited gadget), only Miles can use it - or, at least, only he can use it to full effect; it might still be usable as a mundane toolset (with no skill replacement or bonus) by someone else. Then again, it might not.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

James Angleton

Archetype: Photographer
Motivation: Hope

Body: 2, Dexterity: 4, Strength: 2, Charisma: 2, Intelligence: 2, Willpower: 3
Size: 0, Move: 6, Perception: 5, Initiative: 6, Defense: 6 (Active: 4, Passive: 2), Stun: 2, Health: 5, Sanity: 5

Acrobatics 1 (5), Art: Photography 4 (6), Con 2 (4), Craft: Mechanics 0 (2), Firearms 3 (7) (Pistol), Investigation 0 (2), Larceny 0 (4), Melee 0 (2), Spying 2 (4), Stealth 2 (6), Streetwise 0 (2)

Talents: Accuracy, Danger Sense
Resources: Patron 0, Rank 0

Flaw: Secret

So, we haven't had any gunfighters yet... So, James Angleton, mild-mannered photographer for the Lastfell Gazette. When he's not in his secret gunslinger identity as a masked vigilante. He hasn't gotten a lot of press yet, but he's thinking of steering them towards the name "Justice" or "Justice Kid".
James carries twin pistols on his person and conceals a third in his camera. The camera (remember, this is the Victorian era, sorta) is one of those with the accordion fronts that takes glass plates, and sits on a tripod. It's been slightly reinforced, so it doesn't break constantly, but it's still really fragile. (These alterations are really not worth making him buy an artifact for. I suppose he could simply be replacing the camera a lot...)
Veyska
Lunatic

Post by Veyska »

This has maybe gotten half a step past "vague character concept", but I figure it's worth tossing out for opinions/suggestions in case something crystallizes into something I find sufficiently interesting to use...

Was talking with Wyvern about what he was doing for a character (my most recent update prior was basically just "someone running a tea shop") and the mention of him using having survived a wasting disease to justify playing games with his stats a bit got me thinking - I wanted to set up a character with a connection, however minimal, to his so what about a healer of some sort? Bit of fiddling, bit of poking at Wikipedia (which mostly just confirmed what I'd been picturing already, not too surprising given the amount of related research/Wiki-whacking I've done in the past), and...

* Apothecary, in the older sense of the role wherein they're as much doctor as druggist.
* Leaning towards being some aristocrat's by-blow because AFAIK nobody's got a connection to the upper crust/plate yet but I don't think I want the whole set of baggage entailed therein, but not entirely set on this and definitely not set on the relevant specifics. Vague thought that she'd been sponsored/subsidized through training/obtaining the shop (maybe she just runs it but said parent owns it or something)... Bit of wanting to have my cake and eat it too, here, between thinking the connection to the aristocracy would be a useful/interesting thing but not wanting the more problematic downsides of being a bastard but meh. Perhaps it was less "Someone slept around when they shouldn't have" and more "tragic story wherein half a loving couple dies/vanishes/whatevers before the wedding but they'd already been sleeping together"? Basically boils down to slightly problematic/complicated/limited access to that strata of society but openly acknowledged as X's "natural child"; other nobles might look down their noses but they won't outright shun unless they also are at odds with X. Or something like that. Lot of waffling because undecided. <-<
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you, but I have a thought for you. If you want connections to the upper crust without being one of them, perhaps you offer a service that they need discretely? Perhaps you have a formula (maybe from fungus) that helps calm madness so the well-to-do can cover up the fact that their offspring got involved in cults? Nobody would want to admit knowing you, but you'd have people you could leverage your silence to get small favors/info when needed.

Also, if you want a connection to Wyvern's character, perhaps your two shops adjoin? You could have a public front for the routine business and a private area for discreet treatment. Perhaps the tea shop could allow discrete access to the secret area?

Just some random thoughts. Hopefully they can inspire something better. :)
kitsunenotsume
Missing Some Marbles

Post by kitsunenotsume »

I have been bouncing ideas back and forth with Wyvern, but uuh, not really gotten around to posting it. oops. :?

Besides being my second character idea (the first was a chimney sweep), I've been toying with the idea of making an aristocrat. Namely, one with too much time on his hands, some level of ownership in a mine, a slight shortage of sanity, and an inclination to lapidary work at the behest of the stars and stones.

Of relevance, I suppose, is if Q'yth-az exists in this theology. Not that there is much information about the Elder one, but I was thinking it made for a nice thematic touch to have a general idea who a gem-cutter might be in contact with.

Mechanically, he's probably a Mentalist, with a half decent artistic ability, a questionable sanity, and a knack for esoteric knowledge based on his 'crystal communions'. I haven't really looked enough into the books to formulate a more comprehensive stat-block.

Discussions regarding the tea-house also arose, wherein it was discussed that weekly visits to the tea-house sanity-restoration might well be advisable for someone who spends most of their free time cutting non-Euclidean shapes.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

kitsunenotsume wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:23 pmOf relevance, I suppose, is if Q'yth-az exists in this theology. Not that there is much information about the Elder one, but I was thinking it made for a nice thematic touch to have a general idea who a gem-cutter might be in contact with.
It's Extended Mythos, but I don't see why not?
Veyska
Lunatic

Post by Veyska »

This is very much a rough draft and I've not actually spent any XP yet (stats and skills should add up to starting values though)...
[+] apothecary rough draft
Name: ?
Archetype: Apothecary/Physician?
Motivation: ? (still struggling on this - bits of charity/duty/hope/justice all fit to some degree but none feel quite right; see proto-background for some reasoning)

I'll flesh this out into a more backstory-ish format later. For now, I'm sticking with her being some noble's by-blow, maybe not explicitly acknowledge but definitely an open secret. Snottier nobility probably look down on her, but most of the rest don't mind her since she doesn't try and claim any real privileges from it. Her noble parent saw to her education and set her up with her workshop (I didn't buy Patron and I don't think I want there to have been a falling out, so perhaps they've since passed on or something). Main drive I think is to try and fix things, and since she has an aptitude for the medicial sciences that's what she focuses on. Secretly she'd love to fix the world but she also has a brutally pragmatic streak and since that's obviously way beyond her abilities she basically doesn't touch that (she triages her desires/interests, in effect). Provides a wide range of services, ranging from hangover cures and other ameliorative tonics for the nobility to discrete feminine services in addition to treating more mundane injuries and illnesses. Probably doesn't do expensive charity cases much but she'll scale pricing based on income/need and the cheaper stuff would basically end up being free for the poor anyhow.

Body: 3
Dex: 2
Str: 1
Cha: 2
Int: 4
Will: 3

Skills: (17/15+2)
4/0 Alienism
4/2 Archery
1/0 Athletics
4/0 Bureaucracy
4/0 Connoisseur
6/2 Craft: Pharmacology
4/0 Craft: Chemistry
4/2 Diplomacy
4/0 Empathy
4/0 Gambling
4/0 Investigation
8/4 Medicine
4/0 Science: Biology
4/0 Science: Chemistry
4/2 Streetwise

Lifesaver?

Refuge 0: Equipment(Craft:?), apothecary shop w/ small but cozy living space wedged in somewhere (Also possibly pooling with Wyvern?)
Status 0? (part noble's byblow, part really good apothecary)
Follower 0: Shop employee?

Flaws: Merciful?/Stubborn?
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

For Motivation: Not sure if this helps, but the game effect is you get style points (basically fate points) when you follow your motivation. So, if a lot of things almost fit, it's possible asking yourself "What do I want to get style points for?" might tip the scales.

Similar with flaws. One reason I don't mind if people take multiple. Feel free to make a custom one, if you'd like. Most just define a way you get disadvantaged, and if it affects things, you gain a style point. So, the more you get setback, the more style you get. Overall, so long as you have the right balance for you, it doesn't matter to me.