Groups and Politics

A board to post ideas and stuff. Rules proposals, half-finished characters, or just random chatter.
Joshua
Gibbering

Groups and Politics

Post by Joshua »

The vast majority of the city has been born there and have families that have lived there since its founding in the early victorian era, and most of those were taken from london and the UK.

As such, Lastfell considers itself a British colony, under the rulership of the crown. In reality, England has no idea Lastfell exists, and there is no known way to communicate with Earth.

Each year about 100 - 200 newcomers are kidnapped from Earth and dropped into the giant mi-go experiment. As such, 'newcomers' bring some knowledge of the 'modern' world and culture. This one-way.

Ungrouped ideas:

Almost all of the city is human. There are the occasional mi-go infiltrator as well as escaped experiment. Newcomers have a relatively high chance of being infected or tainted by other elder gods. As such, there is a small deep one community (although they tend to fare poorly without oceans).

Rich families
Offshoots of Rich Families
Several sorcery enclaves at the plate corners
Escaped Inmates and Crazy-towns
Workers Unions / Teamsters
Street Gangs, including child-thieves
Groups of any kind of monster
Anti-Migo organizations (more formal ones)
Last edited by Joshua on Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joshua
Gibbering

Re: Groups and Politics

Post by Joshua »

Politics and Law:

I'm not big on this, however... as a British 'colony' they have a parliament, with a House of Commons and a House of Lords. I... am not all that familiar with how this works, so, if you want to help me figure it out, great. if you want to ignore it, that's also cool.

Police consist of constables and inspectors. They are generally organized by plate. In general, constables stay within their own hexagon, while inspectors cross between them.

Most constables are official. Although, in some slum areas, gangs keep order instead.
Inspectors are a mix of official investigators who 'graduated' from the smaller areas and some meddling members of high society.

Group ideas:
Politician
Constable
Police Inspector
Private/Lord Inspector
Occult Inspector
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Magic Groups

As stated, sorcery and worship of elder gods is illegal. Although, police often turn a blind eye to those who struggle against the mi-go. The sane-ish mediums, psychics and such usually live in the upper class, surrounded by friends, community and alienists who can keep them sane. The insane cultists and those driven mad by evil sighs tend to live near the corners of the plates. Some of the most insane can use the strange topography to rapidly traverse the city.

Group Ideas
Benign Magic Society
Cult, Anti-Mi-Go
Cult, Old Ones
Cult, Mi-Go
Sorcerer Follower (Cult of Personality)
Mediums
Psychics
Secret Lodges
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

So Joshua and I have been trying to come up with a name and haven't found one we like yet. My character will be working for the city, but we want a setting appropriate name than "Lastfell Department of Public Works". We're thinking might have "Royal" or "Artificers" in there somewhere, but neither is required. Any thoughts?
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Public Works is a pretty broad category. I could see anything from "The Latimer Beautification Foundation", a public works group founded (most of a century ago) by a bequest in the will of one Chester Latimer and dedicated to bringing beauty and culture to those areas of Lastfell that deserve it, to "Level Three Infrastructure Department," which pretty well spells out what it's about in the name.

For something with a bit more reason to be wherever - and a bit more menace to it - perhaps "Lastfell Industrial/Maintenance Inspectors"? Commonly abbreviated 'Limp', as in "Crap, the limp sent an inspector? Here? Quick, burn the books while they're busy out front!"

Or, for a highly prestigious group that embarks on grand (but not necessarily practical) projects, perhaps "Royal Engineering Society"?