1397-04-21-A: Killer Acoustics

A game of (in no particular order) politics, intrigue, and swashbuckling adventure - set to a backdrop of an industrialized Amber.
The Stage is obsolete, leftover from a previous revision of reality. RP runs in Discord these days.

Moderator: Wyvern

Cynthea
Mostly Sane

Re: 1397-04-21-A: Killer Acoustics

Post by Cynthea »

Cynthea glares at the rapidly-departing swimmer, before snapping out a command in the tone of someone who is used to being obeyed. "Sabressa Aureselise, you will stop and explain yourself!"
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

Post by ShadowOfPreservation »

Shadow's instinct to give chase tugs at him for a moment before his more rational side processes what just occurred and forestalls pursuit. Clearly the girl was frightened out of her wits at the sight of the Lilac. She certainly knows more that could be helpful, but catching her and convincing her to relate that information would require time and let the killer slip further away. Fixing details of her scent and appearance in his memory, Shadow lets her go for the moment and leaps upwards, swimming for the catwalk with all the speed he can muster.
kitsunenotsume
Missing Some Marbles

Post by kitsunenotsume »

There are some instances where insubordination is appropriate. Times where the Captain didn't understand the full situation, for example; or where following through with the orders would lead to certain death or violation of any number of regulations or law. Under standard circumstances, it would be reasonable to proceed, and return later with an apology and reasoning when the disaster was clear. Except...

The superior in this case was an Amberite. That changed a few things - like the definition of what violated of the law, and which path would lead to likely death. It took fractions of a moment for the experienced sailor to identify that the current plan had a high probability of inconvenient treason allegations, and that the responsible thing to do was to perform as ordered. This she knew.

As abruptly as the panicked flight began, it ceases. The barked order attenuates into a heavy silence across the nearly empty theatre as the courier performs a passable impression of a nautilus from halfway across the room. Curled into a slowly drifting ball as tendrils of pale hair whirl patterns down her back, Sabressa clutches onto her flask and mutters at a frantic and unsteady pace to no-one in particular. "She can't be here, She's not supposed to be here, She isn't allowed to be here. It's not my fault, they didn't tell me, She can't be here."

((OOC: Sorry on the holdup. very busy weekend, holiday, geekycon, and all that))
Cynthea
Mostly Sane

Post by Cynthea »

Cynthea hisses in annoyance as Shadow just up and leaves without any explanation at all - and Sabressa's explanation brings up more questions than answers. After a moment's indecision, her attention focuses on Korarin. "Congratulations, Korarin, you're now in charge of getting some sort of sensible answer out of Sabressa. Catch up when you can."

And with that, she swims after Shadow, muttering something about suspicious behavior and people running from a crime scene.
Kyttin
Mostly Sane

Post by Kyttin »

Korarin almost swam into Sabressa as she suddenly stopped moving and started muttering.

"Um...Sabressa...?" He hesitantly said. Kora wasn't sure exactly what he should do in this situation, but he did know that if there was danger you were supposed to go away from it. He only vaguely registered Cynthea's voice.

"Why did we stop? We should keep going in case that dangerous guy comes back." Glancing back he saw Cynthea follow Shadow. Maybe she would protect everyone from it. That was her job right?

He hesitantly reached towards Sabressa's arm with the intent to move towards the exit and get as far away as possible.
kitsunenotsume
Missing Some Marbles

Post by kitsunenotsume »

Said arm snaps out, catching the wrist reaching for it. "It's not my fault." The tone is harsh and bitter, in unusual counterpoint to the speaker's otherwise reserved and sullen posture. She lets go of Korarin's arm with a huff, and returns to fidgeting with the flask. "I stopped because She ordered it, not because I've got anything to do with this."

The small metal container is uncapped and swigged - oddly in reverse, as fluid can be heard to enter the vessel and it floats lower in the water afterwards. Sabressa holds whatever it is for a long moment before exhaling a thin stream of bubbles and looking heavily unimpressed, the panicked and twitchy flight ceding way to an aura of smouldering irritation. "Oh, I'll play her song-and-dance routine," the courier growls quietly as the individual-in-question swims up above the stage, "but if that storm-lashed princess thinks of getting uppity with me, just because someone led her privileged little hand through a magic maze, she's got another thing coming. It would be about as dangerous leaving as staying at this point, but I’d rather be buried than give her the smug satisfaction."

She offers a hand out to the merfolk, before springing back towards the stage. "Besides, some of us work for a living, and if we can't leave we might as well be productive. There's something I've got to check."

Upon arriving back at the stage, Korarin in tow, she will check over the body for any signs of what might have caused the demise - particularly the more subtle options.
Kyttin
Mostly Sane

Post by Kyttin »

Korarin watched amused as Sabressa played with her flask. Well he supposed he was curious about what had happened. Taking her hand he swam back to the stage.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

'Subtle' is not quite the appropriate description for a corpse that appears to have been desiccated and mummified (and, oddly, is remaining mummified despite its submersion); it actually takes some skill to be certain that the body is not just some bizarre stage prop substituted into place during the darkness.

A more thorough examination might reveal further details - but will also inevitably take long enough for the Rebma Rangers to arrive on scene; whether or not that's worth the time and trouble is an open question.
kitsunenotsume
Missing Some Marbles

Post by kitsunenotsume »

The waif of a girl alights next to the body, performing a quick triage of the neck and forearms of the body, muttering softly under her breath. "Please don't be Her, please don't be Her, please don't. . . urhm, that's a new one. Hey, Korarin? Have you ever seen, uuh, a body be completely dried out underwater before?" She looks over at the siren and tapping the former actor pointedly and without any apparent concern for the dead.

"Don't think so." Her companion leans forward cautiously, in case where she was pointing was special. It wasn't, at least not any more than the rest of the dried husk. "Leeches or somethings?"

"Don't leeches leave wounds, though? Or at least blood?"

Korarin shrugged, "Not sure, maybe under those drapey clothes? Easy for small fish to hide, like in kelp."

"Possible, I guess," the admission comes with a sigh and a glance to rafters and the door."Could be anywhere on the body at that rate, and that would take time while whatever it was is probably still out there somewhere, and the guards are en-route. Probably don't want to get caught hanging around the scene of a murder though, would you?"

"Mmm, I don't wanna be blamed for something I didn't do again. Like this again."

"Sounds like a pla. . .wait, 'again'?" It was Sabressa's turn to look at her flustered companion with a touch of admonishing curiosity. "Eeh, never-mind, I am in no position to criticize. Lets get gone, and we can sort through the other questions later. Hopefully after Her Haughtiness learns a thing or two."

With the tread of coral boots echoing through the corridors outside, sylph and undine make their way to the walks above.

((Post was worked out over chat to accelerate the conversation and get the plot moving again. Permission from Korarin's player was obtained before post.