1397-04-21-B: Sinkholes by Starlight

A game of (in no particular order) politics, intrigue, and swashbuckling adventure - set to a backdrop of an industrialized Amber.
The Stage is obsolete, leftover from a previous revision of reality. RP runs in Discord these days.

Moderator: Wyvern

Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Re: 1397-04-21-B: Sinkholes by Starlight

Post by Wyvern »

"Oh, and the powers they use are so much better?* When the spawn of Oberon can sink a city just to make a point, we reach for whatever tools we must." The agent shows no signs of calming, though she may be tiring herself out trying to fight Shadow. Some similarity in the result, even if the method of reaching it isn't quite as intended.

Outside the train car, Juno pauses for some exposition.**

"The Green Spiral is a dissident group that blames Amber for the injustices of their home shadow. I first encountered them in Kashfa, though they must have spread some since then if they've gotten anything out of Ceridus... that's honestly worrying."

She pauses a moment, then adds for Shadow's benefit, "Ceridus is the city the Collegitat is in. And the Collegitat is an institution devoted to learning, with an emphasis on various forms of sorcery."

_____
* Yes, actually, they are. Or at least they smell better to Shadow. Perhaps it's not so easy to tell the difference if you're a nose-blind human.
** It is worth noting that this exposition is from the point of view of an NPC, who - even if you choose to trust that she's an impartial observer*** - is definitely not omniscient.
*** Juno isn't really impartial, here, either. She's definitely on the side of Amber, and tends to see things through that lens.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"It speaks that they have an ally. The Collegitat's forbidden area is not one that-" Theodore will pause. "It is well guarded and it's likely that they are aware of something missing. Unless it was copied by someone who has access to that section. That is a frightening thought and one I'll be investigating... Assuming they let me back in."

He will sigh. "All I really need to know from her, is if she summoned it. Or if there was another. I can get the information from her,
but my methods in that regard are not a first choice. More of a last resort, really.
"

Post by Wyvern »

OOC: Shadow, having seen the woman exit a train window earlier, can reasonably guess that she wasn't in the right place at the right time to have done the initial summoning.

Juno eyes Theodore warily for a moment, then shrugs. "I'd be happy enough to leave that investigation to you; Ceridus isn't exactly my favorite place to spend time."
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

Post by ShadowOfPreservation »

Outside: "We can be fairly certain she was not the summoner. She seemed to have been on the train and only exited her car when it came to a halt. I'll see what I can to subdue her. My words are having little effect on her...exuberance. She did mention something about the spawn of Oberon sinking a city."

Inside: "I don't intend to argue over a topic I know little of. What I do know is you are not listening to me." The wolf twists its head and puts its full weight to use, pushing forward as the woman is pulled off balance. Once prone, Shadow simply lays down on her, forepaws pinning her arms. Assuming she is sufficiently subdued, the wolf releases the bite to address the woman face to face. "I will asses your claims and do what I can to help you should your claims prove true. But this is no longer the time for fighting...and I can only help you if you're willing to believe that I am not your enemy." Shadow isn't expecting her to calm down at all. At this point it's likely best to have her taken into custody though a wolf will remain with her if that happens.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Juno rolls her eyes. "I've heard that one before. Never been able to track down who invents this nonsense, but the Green Spiral's rank and file -want- to believe we're responsible for atrocities; makes it easier to justify fighting us instead of trying to fix their problems locally."

Seems like this scene is wrapping up. The train will be moving again shortly. Amazingly, Theodore has not managed to lose his luggage. What are people's short-term plans? (I ask for short-term, because, while their arrival in Switchburg is unlikely to be met with much fanfare, both Theodore and Shadow will likely be ambushed by fanfare after a couple hours if they stick around - and that seems like a good place to start up the next scene.)
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

Post by ShadowOfPreservation »

I've been picturing that Shadow still isn't very familiar with anywhere outside the Hinterlands so I imagine a wolf may remain with the Green Spiral woman while Shadow's human incarnation will travel with Juno and Theodore to learn more about both of them, the corrupted power they encountered that Theodore seemed to be familiar with, the dragon trains, and this Switchburg place the train is heading to.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Heading to the Colegitat to see what might have been stolen. He was already headed there to take a look at the forbidden section anyhow.

Cause, ya know, if it is from there, someone had to have smuggled it out.