Silver Insanity

Precious, Valuable Madness
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:10 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:53 am 
Sane. VERY Sane.

"Hmph. As if anything useful could be found in there just by looking. No, the Queen gave me a couple of volumes, as well as this for you." Stewart pulls the ring out of his robes and flips it through the air at Luma. "Undetectable Alignment. Will probably help keep clerics from getting all bothered about your, hmmm... patron. And Kiaskurro knows someone who knows about the Tapestry. So when he arrives with letters of introduction, I thought we'd go bother Duke Arthos, which hopefully will work well with the Queen's suggestion that we leave the city in the near future."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:11 am 
Prismatic Pangolin

Luma winces at the oblique mention of Hunger-in-Darkness.

"Seems reasonable enough. I've been looking through your library, trying to see if I could find anything that would help me figure out what I might be able to do other than true seeing. So far, no luck beyond one accidental discovery." She demonstrates, making the book she was carrying float a few inches abover her hand.

______
You have about ten seconds to start saying whatever you're going to say next before the doorbell rings again; it's Komitus, Kiaskurro's construct companion, bearing a single letter adressed to Duke Arthos of Dornsby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:35 pm 
Sane. VERY Sane.

Stewart will think for a moment. "Hm. Well, I can't think of any method of discovering powers other than use. I could examine you magically, but there's no guarantee that it'll discover anything other than the active powers..."

Stewart's musing will be interrupted by the knocking. "Ah! Greetings, Komitus! My thanks for the letter."

Unless the location of Dornsby (and the Duke thereof) is common knowledge, Stewart will ask Komitus for directions before he leaves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:14 pm 
Prismatic Pangolin

"North of here, more or less. On the eastern edge of the Arkwood, in western Harcylon. If you want better directions than that, you'll need to find a map."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:56 pm 
Sane. VERY Sane.

"Of course. I thank you for your aid." Stewart will bow and, barring any objection, close the door and return to packing. The letter will be tossed into his pack, carelessly.

"Well, I have my kit packed. Just have to close up the tower, check a map, and we're off. Once we're near Dornsby, we can sit for a bit and I can use a few spells to discover something of what's happened to you."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:09 pm 
Prismatic Pangolin

Luma already has all of her equipment; she must have retrieved it from her house at some point.

A quick check of a map pinpoints the exact location of Dornsby. And, within a few hours walk, is a place you actually have a picture of in your reference books - the famed circle of Daria*.

As such, teleporting there is a simple matter. The day is pleasant, with a layer of sparse clouds drifting in the winds. The only witnesses to your arrival are a few cautious goats - presumably the reason the grass here is not up to waist height. Somewhere off to the west lies the Dorn river, and across that and a bit to the south, should be the city of Dornsby.

_____
* Daria was an archmage and archeologist. She spent a week researching the circle of Daria - an old set of standing stones - and had this to say in conclusion: "These are the most improbably mundane chunks of rock I ever had the misfortune to encounter."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:49 pm 
Sane. VERY Sane.

After arriving, Stewart suggests walking off a bit and finding a reasonable place to sit for a while away from people. Once at a somewhat secluded location, Stewart will sit down with Luma, tell her to sit still for a few minutes, and then examine her with his spectacles (Arcane Sight, Analyze Dweomer, and Legend Lore, in that order).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:52 pm 
Prismatic Pangolin

A small gully about forty feet away provides a good degree of cover should anyone else happen to teleport in. Luma follows you, keeping a wary eye on the surroundings. It may seem peaceful, but that's no excuse for not paying attention.

Arcane Sight reveals the following currently active spells on Luma: true seeing and death ward. It also claims that Luma has ninth level divine magic available.

Analyze Dweomer tells you that Luma is, now, as much magical construct as living creature, though the magic involved seems much more... alive... than anything you use in your own constructs. Which seems odd, since it seems more closely related to necromancy than anything else you're familiar with.
There is also a definite linkage to some extraplanar power source - but it's worth noting that the link does not contain any method of control, nor is it (at the moment) particularly active. Even if it were somehow severed, Luma would retain most of the power that has been forced on her.

Legend lore produces the following marginally informative statement:
The fallen god Harfang seeks to freely walk the mortal realm once more. For this to occur, seven conditions must come to pass. One of these conditions is that a child of his high priestess, imbued with his power, must seek out the Tapestry of Stars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:22 am 
Sane. VERY Sane.

Stewart will sit for a minute after the completion of the Legend Lore. "Well, that's odd." Stewart will summarize the results of the spells for Luma, leaving out the comparisons to both his own magic and to necromancy, while emphasizing the lack of control in the link.

"So, that's the short of it. The long involves a lot of magical theory that I don't think you've gotten to yet in your readings."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:07 pm 
Prismatic Pangolin

Luma is definitely heartened by the information that there's no control mechanism in place. In fact, she looks almost cheerful - the happiest you've seen her since this whole mess started.

The mood is ruined, however, at the mention of Harfang. The name itself, spoken, resonates with power*, and there is an immediate sense of presence - Harfang is very clearly paying attention, right now, to you in particular. On the plus side, there seems to be no hostility in his presence; if anything, there's a hint of... approval, maybe? Something like that.

Luma's reaction is almost as fast - her fur bristles, her tail puffing up to twice its normal size, her ears go flat, and her sword appears in her hands. As there is nothing actually physically there to fight, though, she's left glaring and hissing at empty air.

_____
* The power of a deity's actual name is proportional to the power of the deity in question. Harfang, as gods go, isn't actually all that strong - but the power is also inversely proportional to the number of people who know that name. And you could count on your fingers the number of mortals who know the name "Harfang".

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 Next