07.14J Presents and Parcels: Pick Up and Delivery

The goings on of courts
Draylen
Lunatic

Re: 07.14J Presents and Parcels: Pick Up and Delivery

Post by Draylen »

The bear tilts his head, looking quite confused. He pauses softly, gathering his thoughts, before speaking. "Ah. The reason I'd offered you, originally, the wooden eye is related to ancient stories of entities bearing your name," he begins slowly, hesitantly. He thinks as he continues to speak, phrasing as best he can to avoid delivering any insult. "In these stories, this Odin plucked out one of his eyes and sacrificed it at a well of Wisdom, with which he learned of all things that were and all things that will be. And so in his wisdom he taught of both Doom and Wyrd, those things which must be, and those things that shall be, for such are not necessarily the same."

He leans back slightly, looking thoughtful, and giving Alys a small side glance, before smiling. "If such a thing means something different to you, however, I would be pleased to hear whatever you would be willing to share?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Odin will give a nod to Alys, then take a breath... "For the sake of argument, let's say that Dworkin controls who can walk the pattern. Even when he chooses someone random, even though the perils of the pattern must be confronted by the person walking. Assume then, that Dworkin's advice to not step off and not stop is all that's needed*." He will think and nod... "We had a power similar to pattern**, with a similar guardian***. Dworkin managed to pass the test and traverse the power. He then plucked out the left**** eye of the guardian, who rescinded any access to said power. One of my objectives here is to retrieve the eye, although... I'm not convinced that it is required or that such an act will help my people."
****: May or may not be consistent, this is a hypothetical, right?
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

"Uhhh... the... left eye?" he asks, and glances at the golden wurm entwined around Alys' shoulder, its right* eye twinkling in ruby light. "Huh. You don't say..." He shakes his head and sits back, musing a little. "And nobody has otherwise found this guardian, since the De- uh, since Dworkin plucked out its eye? Which has prevented the ascension of the ruling clan, whichever one that is right now to the... the..." he pauses, and wracks his brains, thinking of what Alys had told him of the way Chaos worked. "Logrus? Its Great Power, anyway." He muses a little and tilts his head, looking at Odin. "Your Great Power?"

-------
*Interestingly, which eye is missing is entirely dependent on how Alys chooses to wear it! So it can be the right eye, it can be the left eye, it can be neither eye... well, okay, it can't really be neither eye, unless she replaces the ruby chip, but still.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"To be specific, no one has gotten permission from it to attune to the Logrus. Dworkin was the last. And if it matters, I was never attuned. I am not from any ruling clan." Odin will shrug. "There may be other ways, but for now, there's a massive civil war going on. I'm not sure where it is now... but it wasn't pleasant when I was there last."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys' expression, as she listens to Odin's hypotheticals and explanation, shifts to a carefully schooled poker-face neutral. Between that and the magic of Aibne's gift to her*, there shouldn't be that much that Odin or Aibne can discern of her reaction to learning that the Serpent is missing an eye.** It's probably not even clear if this is news to her.

"An interesting comparison," she comments blandly when Odin is done talking, "Though Dworkin has implied that he is not - or at least not always - responsible for such decisions."***

"...This does, of course, raise the question: What do you think will help?"

_____
* Specifically, the item has Psychic Neutral and Confer Quality on Wearer, offering Alys a limited form of mental invisibility.
** Beyond the fact that she's deliberately concealing her reaction, of course.
*** Alys' tone here indicates that she isn't trying to shoot down Odin's comparison; instead, she is adding new information... and subtly implying that perhaps the Serpent isn't the final arbiter of who can survive attuning to the Logrus, either.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

(OOC: I thought I answered this... Guess not.)

"If I knew that, I'd be out looking for it." Odin says. "But, the serpent respects new and stronger... This seems like as good a place as any to look for it."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys nods, "And, worst case, Pattern does seem to be good at finding things..."

She waits a bit to see if there's any further discussion on the current topic; if there isn't, she'll suggest moving on to discussion of how to implement Aibne's plan for an embassy.
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

At some point, Aibne will get the feeling of an incoming Trump call. Does he respond?
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

Aibne helps and offers suggestions a little bit, but mostly lets Alys and Odin thrash out what the embassy will really be like. He's there mostly to solve issues when neither of them can agree on something, and to ensure that they'll have the land and material they need for the embassy. He has a thoughtful look through most of it, but leaves whatever it is he's thinking about unspoken for the time being.

Until he gets a now-familiar sensation in his mind. Silently and politely, he withdraws, permitting Alys and Odin to continue their discussion on the embassy, and slips outside of the theater before 'picking up'.*

---
*Which should be either in a different thread or an IM set up. IM will probably be easier.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Odin will settle into his chair and watch the play a bit. He will attempt a nonchalant, off-handed remark to Alys. "Clearly, you have been avoiding me. Dworkin hides his secrets well, behind an insanity that is too costly to pierce. You, on the other hand, were too conspicuous in your hiding. Did you wish to excuse yourself or do I finally have something important enough for you to risk talking to me?"