07.13M Of Diplomats and Discussions

The goings on of courts
Joshua
Gibbering

Re: 07.13M Of Diplomats and Discussions

Post by Joshua »

"You would do well not to get Dworkin's clan wrong." Odin will snap. "The Demon clan has no claim on the power that Dworkin wields and to imply they do is a grave insult." He will pause... "Dworkin has not declared his clan nor the new ruling clan of Chaos." he will force himself to calm down. "So, first thing you need to know, is that names such as Angel, Demon, Vampire, Hydra, Centaur, Unicorn... These have meanings in my home and likely in Dworkin's mind. Be careful of the words."
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

Post by ShadowOfPreservation »

Lyra will nod. "So you're now the official representative of Amber? I think you're an excellent choice even if the title wasn't acquired by choice. So what else did you want to talk to us about?"
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

He holds up a hand, but nods to the three gathered. "Champion, not representative; my job is to safeguard Amber from its threats, be they external or internal. It is not to represent it, either the city or the land," he starts, to Lyra, nodding his head in her direction. "That's going to be your job, at least at present."

"Forgive me, Odin; I meant no insult. But you must understand that you are not at your home, and this is now Dworkin's. Even should the name mean something specific to him; to my ilk, a demon is a creature of great darkness, who barters for the souls of innocent men and women for greater power. Perhaps that is what the Pattern is doing; perhaps it is not. In either case, my usage of the term 'demon' is not meant to cause offense, and so I apologize." He nods at Odin, bowing his head contritely, a little deeper than the nod to Lyra, before turning to Alys.

"As for you, my lady, it doesn't matter whether you think it's 'real' power or not. What matters is what other people think, particularly in your case - the power of Amber is mandated by Dworkin, who decreed it as Lord and Master of this plane-" and here, his lip will briefly curl slightly in distaste, before disappearing under the mask of calm, "and the power of Chaos is spoken for by the likes of such as the two of you and Dworkin himself. But this power is not necessarily physical power. The Amberites are but men... more or less." He glances down at himself, frowning deeper, before shaking his head. "And the scions of Miles are not always honorable. Greed, Pride, and lust for power have toppled many powerful civilizations before, and might easily do the same here, if not for safeguards.

"You came here, expecting to find power, and took it even where it was not given to you; others have come here and built their own bases of power. Those called Amberites are new, and few, and the common folk will look instead to those they know to have power; people like Morek, or Ashara, or yourself, Alystrakos. Setting up the safeguards will be an important task, and something for someone who has not walked the Pattern but is known to have their ear."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Odin sighs... "I'm not sure that was Dworkin's goal. But, I think I see where you're coming from. Your anger at him, is an issue. Like it or not, he is the closest thing to a rightful ruler of my kind there is at the moment."

He goes to say more... but... That's likely enough for now.
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

"Not to quibble with semantics but it could be said that anyone that has walked the pattern is now a representative of Amber, but I understand your distinction. I don't really see a point in arguing the details." Lyra pauses for a moment before asking, "So what's the primary reason for this meeting?"
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys purses her lips for a moment, but seems to decide that whatever objections or quibbles she might raise are, at least, not of immediate importance.
"What sort of safeguards did you have in mind?"
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

"Three fold," the bear says, breathing out slowly. He nods again to the three gathered, shrugging slightly. "To strengthen Amber in allies; to strengthen Amber in livelihood; and to strengthen Amber in its defense. Lyra, I'll be honest; you are here because you were convenient. You were in the area, and I believe you will have some interests in the going ons of this meeting anyway. Better, then, to include you than exclude you and force you to ferret out information second-hand."

"So! Let me take the first point of business first." He nods at Odin, flashing a toothy smile. "I would like to create a proper Embassy for Chaos. Any clan of sufficient might to send someone to Amber would be given full rights, even though such might not be an accurate mirror of their standing in Chaos proper. I would have you and Alystrakos design it, should you each be able to find time from your other duties to design such.

"For structure, however... I had a few thoughts. Each Clan may have one official representative, who would speak for their business and interests, as well as a host of undetermined size. Some clans will obviously be able to field more such members of the host - under diplomats, scholars, such things as that - but I would like to put a hard limit upon it. I, of course, don't understand the nuances involved to make this work, and how the diplomats would be structured would be entirely up to you." He nods at Odin, shrugging a little.

"Each official diplomat and all off their train would of course be known and accountable for," he says, smiling pleasantly. "So I'm certain this way will not create any hardships, as all diplomats currently in Amber would certainly register. After all, nobody wants to be a spy... why, a caught spy might be dissolved by nothing more than Order itself. We naturally can't have that."

He shakes his head briefly, as if to clear it, smiling pleasantly. "This, in its own way, will bring me to the second. I would like to propose a sort of... oligarchy, much as the one that already exists, but broader in scope. Here, then, is where your job truly would lie, Alys." He nods at her, smiling. "Naturally, any Amberite is free to claim a seat on the Council. Dworkin has so decreed, and thusly they cannot be denied whatever Power they might see fit to grab." He rolls his eyes here, shrugging a little.

"This should avoid civil war, though. at least, that's the hope. Each City would, in addition, have one Law Maker and one Guild Master as an additional voice on the council - these would rather pointedly not be Pattern Walkers, lest none but a Walker is a viable choice. In addition, the Courts of Chaos would be invited a seat of their own, to go to whatever diplomat has curried the other's favor that day." He smiles a little, both at Odin and at Alys, before shrugging.

"And as to the first, I'd like to see to it for a strengthening in Amber's preparations. Creating a proper Army of Amber is a first step, as is unifying the Police and Guardsmen into a coherent unit. I believe you are already working toward that, Alys? In addition, however, I would like to begin to create some manner of magical alerts in the neighboring Shadows, a way of informing us of travelers." He pauses a little at that, frowning. "Ideally, I'd be speaking to one of the proper Magicians for that. I am rather lacking in much knowledge of that, including whether or not it can even be done."

"What do you think?" he asks, glancing at the three of them, each in their turn.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Odin will give a shrug, "It seems as good a plan as any. I hope the Lady is okay with the time we would spend together. Planning this through an intermediary will be a difficult activity."

"Of course, it will force me to share some of the current goings on of the Clans. Still, a little knowledge may prevent more accidental insults."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys shrugs at Odin, "I am sure something can be worked out."

Then she turns back to Aibne.
"A few points stand out: first, and in some ways most important, is this: an Amberite absolutely can be denied 'whatever power they might see fit to grab'. For example, that was much of the point behind Ashara's appointment. Dworkin's decrees serve only to restrict the Amberites - and, arguably*, to legitimize the power they - and you - already possess."

"And second: What purpose would this Council serve? I could see some use in anything from a forum to bring matters to the attention of Amberites, to creating it as an active political power in its own right - though in that latter case, you would be well advised to speak with a wider spectrum of Amberites before simply decreeing it into existence."

_____
* Though she doesn't expect most people to argue this point. Aibne might, though, which is why she mentioned it.

Alys didn't say anything on the topic of military preparations. Perhaps she doesn't feel it's an appropriate discussion to be having in front of Odin. Perhaps she just has no objections to Aibne's requests and suggestions.
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

"I think Alys is right. It's probably a good idea to speak with others before we decide to set up a council. It does seem a decent way to try and get each of the 4 "houses" to be on equal footing. Of course there's likely to be some disagreement about who sits on the council unless all Amberites are included like some sort of Senate. I'm happy to be included, if only out of convenience. I'm just interested in helping out the people here so I'll serve in whatever capacity that requires. My personal experience means I'm mostly qualified to address your second point of strengthening Amber in livelihood and plan on dedicating myself to that cause..." Lyra will look to Odin. "And I think we would all greatly appreciate any knowledge and insight you are willing to impart."