07.12d: Dues and Doughnuts

The goings on of courts
kitsunenotsume
Missing Some Marbles

Re: 07.12d: Dues and Doughnuts

Post by kitsunenotsume »

Caelund glances down at the dwarf and gives a polite nod of his head. "Traveling alone again, liege? One day, perhaps, we shall learn an appropriate method of replicating your concurrent infernal locomotion."

He turns back to watching the street, still idly manipulating the well creased card. His reply is thoughtful, and in the tone of a professional to his colleague. "It certainly appears so. You know my opinions on the matter*, but they aught to be verified, refined, and updated. I presume you had a suggestion in mind, or it could have waited until the inevitable mingling."
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Dwarkin will fish out his trump deck... "As I see it..." he says, "you have enough, that I may simply update the deck now. There are a few other potentials I will be adding tonight. Their bonds are certain enough. So is yours..."

He will fan out Rolf, Richard and Will from the major arcana, that section filled mostly with support staff. He will also separate the 4 suits, then pause and pick up wands, cups and coins. "I had not considered adding a fourth to that group. A place as an artist or mechanic would allow a lot of freedom."
kitsunenotsume
Missing Some Marbles

Post by kitsunenotsume »

"I'm certain it would," Caelund retorts with professional neutrality. Slight nuances to his posture, however, reveal no small degree of intrigue. "However, insightful as you may be, perhaps I may at least be afforded the illusion of choice, however predestined."

With that, he extracts a sealed white envelope from a hidden pocket within his crisply pressed shirt*. Caelund holds it up to the afternoon light to verify that the contents are inscrutable, and hands it across to the dwarf.**
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Dworkin will examine the card. "Had you considered a rulership position? I suppose you could choose not to be. This card... would be unlikely to allow you to attempt the pattern in the future. I suppose Darnell is already a parrern-walker focused elsewhere. But... perhaps..." He will shrug. "It would remove much of your potential political power. I know you're not used to that, but, do you not want it."
kitsunenotsume
Missing Some Marbles

Post by kitsunenotsume »

"I am a mercinary, Sir. You knew that when you found me, and such I still remain. I neither lead nor follow on a grand scale, but rather flow with time and trial, unbounded by the allegiences of others."

Caelund pauses, and moves to continue his explanation before being rudely inturrupted by a brilliant nova beond the rooftops that briefly darkens much of the sky in comparison. After the first few seconds, when it is clear that it was not a singular explosion, he dons his glasses and creases his eyebrows in concernation. A momentary glance to the placid facade at his side releases any worry. As the riot of energy lapses, the man remains thoughtfully quiet as he removes the protective lenses. With a motion to the horizon, he continues.

"There is more to these worlds than the apparent; more to survival than might; more to dominion than lordliness. There is power enough fulfilling for others that can rarely be provided from a position of dominance. Opportunities that cannot be acted upon from a partisan focus. Openings for deniable assets paid in the intangible currencies more valuable than material wealth. Unseen and overlooked nails and screws that keep the greatest of constructions from tumbling down. Maintenence of minor mechanisms that permit the grand designs. The grease and lubricant that ease the passage of power from the driver to the slave and deny the rust of sloth. Such is my role; not lordship. It never has been."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Very well." Dworkin will state. "I'll be presenting your card to the others tonight at the party*."

He will nod and stand up. "So, What daily specials do you have?" He will pause, "I'll take one of each."

(OOC: I'm thinking this will wind down into pleasant talk.)

Post by kitsunenotsume »

With a final glance up and down the street, Caelund turns from the store-front to point out various baked goods within the display-case beside the register. With a matter of paces his demeanor transforms from a cool and calculating survivalist to that of a warm and boisterous host, any concerns about the previous conversation apparently evaporating with the new facade. He describes each of the treats in salesmanly detail as he packs them into a box, such as Devil's Food Cake*, Iced-Buns**, Lemon-Poppy-Seed Muffins***, along with numerous other bakery classics given curious and complementary personality.****

A brief check in the kitchen to where Seth is working leaves Caelund in momentary hesitation. "Hrmm, seems like the Gingerfire Specials are still baking. Those are best served fresh for the greatest effect and don't keep particularly well before affecting the other pastries, so I'll be catering them later. Lord Lydre extended the invitation, and it would be unseemly to appear empty-handed," he explains as he hands the box of pastries to the dwarf. "Though I fear I may be a mite out of date regarding recent events; did the games proceed satisfactorily?"
****: He did ask for the specials, not the normals, after all.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Dworkin will give a breakdown of the events at Ht'Gon... Although, it is without much commentary.

(OOC: I think that's the end...)