07.09e The Pre-game Show

The goings on of courts
Krajk
Needs a Guide

Re: 07.09e The Pre-game Show

Post by Krajk »

A spark of interest manages to flicker into life in Krajk's eyes and he clearly focuses a bit more of his attention on her. He drums his fingers on the hilt of one of his axes briefly before hooking his thumbs back into his belt once more*. "My only quarrel with its quarrel with Amber is, as you say, the potential to be caught in the crossfire. While the opportunity to beat up on something and not have to worry about a diplomatic backlash would not be unwelcome, I'd have much rather preferred it to be undead instead of mind-control - at least the undead tend to thank you before passing on instead of resulting in the hassle of irate kin... Ah well. Your warning is appreciated and I shall pass it along to Odin as soon as he is finished with his match**; a brief delay in such a public situation seems less risk than a disruption in routine, if indeed someone has been compromised."

(*This space intentionally left blank. Nyah...)
(**Not sure if he's finished or not-started yet, yay variably progressed threads. lol)
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

After his second joust, Odin will limp over, strategically cutting off Alys' lines of escape.

"So, there must be a serious issue for you to come over mi'lady." He will offer, giving Alys a lingering look. "In this place, within these rules, I offer you no threat." He will give in what, to him, is a traditional greeting*. "We have not been formally introduced. I am Odin of Clan Equinom; and, I suppose, Unofficial Ambassador from the Clans of Chaos. I hope your stay here has been good."

Post by Wyvern »

Alys responds to Krajk before Odin arrives, "Indeed, there is no great rush - whoever he brought with him is not here, after all. Still," she adds as Odin takes a hit and starts theatrically limping towards them, "It seems that Odin may not agree with that assessment. Or perhaps he has other reasons."*

Once Odin has introduced himself, Alys replies, "There will be time enough to fight some other day.** I am Lady Alystrakos Obsidia Sybaris; given recent events, I see little point in maintaining any clan affiliation.*** As for the rest - my stay here has certainly failed to be uneventful; in particular, we have encountered evidence that whoever you brought with you from Chaos may have been compromised: A psychic entity out in shadow that appeared to have knowledge of what it meant to oppose a Greater Power, but no actual understanding - and wielded sufficient shadow power that I doubt it has ever faced an existential threat."

_____
* Alys is assuming that Krajk signaled Odin - and that Odin's choice to fake injury and head over was a deliberate ploy to join the conversation. Yay paranoia?
** A similar traditional greeting... if you happen to be a member of Clan Chimera, at least; Alys is deliberately throwing in some misleading tells. Clan Chimera, for reference, is known for producing brutal warriors that value strength and shapeshifting ability and can occasionally breath fire; one classic tale has the hero set upon by a group of bandit chimera - and he feigns indifferent superiority, declaring that he will only deign to fight the strongest among them... and then sneaks away while the bandits are busy arguing over who that is. This particular trick generally doesn't work in real life, of course, but it makes a good story.
*** A flat out lie, this part. Odin will catch it, of course, but that's half the point - an obvious lie draws attention away from more subtle misdirections.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Odin will raise an eyebrow, then nod. "I can send a missive. Is this something I should do now, or do you think it can wait until the end of at least the joust?" He will take another look over Alys.

"Forgive me, I did not expect to meet anyone who was from anywhere near Chaos here. Did you leave before the current upheaval?"
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys shrugs. "If you want my advice, I would send a warning about the entity as soon as is convenient; it is, after all, also possible that anyone you deliberately brought is not compromised, and if so, it would be better to keep it that way. The entity - which we have dubbed 'Hivers' - has so far demonstrated mass possession and destructive empowerment of its puppets to levels where they pose a significant physical threat; the overall power it was able to project is..." Alys pauses and looks thoughtful for a moment, "Call it maybe on par with somewhere from a hundred to a thousand average sorcerers* working in concert? Fortunately not overly efficient at using that power, but still."

"To be fair, I did not expect to find such a person here, either - and that includes Dworkin; I have been traveling for... some time."**

_____
* I.E. sorcerers of no particular note - to Alys, this means chaos rank psyche and no greater powers or advanced anything. Odin may (or may not) interpret it differently.
** Technically not an answer to the question, but phrased to invite Odin to share his thoughts on the "current upheaval" regardless of when she actually left.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Odin will sigh... and nod. Sticking a finger in the gash in his leg, he will draw forth a thin strand of blood that he will quickly weave into a bird. "Probably best to let him know then." There will be a slight pause, "Find him and report." he will instruct before letting go of a deep red cardinal-looking bird that flies toward the bay.

"Oh, that is no secret. Dworkin has destroyed our access to the greater power. Billions fight to regain it and die in a battle to gain favor once more. The normal rite of succession has been destroyed. Perhaps, Dworkin is the only one who can grant it. That is why this place is in so much danger."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys raises an eyebrow. "I presume," she says in the acid tones of someone who suspects that no such thing is the case, "that someone has tried the obvious thing: be human and then assay the Labyrinth?"*

_____
* This is the obvious thing to try from her point of view. But it requires - at a minimum - wandering far enough towards Amber to know about humans in the first place. And a perhaps a slightly non-standard perspective on the Labyrinth.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Be is not so clear-cut when the Serpent is concerned. He refuses to lead anyone or anything through. The ones who attempted regardless did not return. Some bodies were recovered..." He will shiver. "More desperate measures were taken... and it went downhill from there. Some simply declared rulership, and the fallen-angels claim to lead until a successor is chosen. It... is greater conflict than I have ever seen. Greater than the last change of leadership."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys shrugs. "If it were simple, you would have an even worse war on your hands. And it is certainly not something I would want to bet my life on."

"Speaking of which," she turns back to Krajk, "I believe I may owe you an apology; in retrospect, I probably had enough information to justify warning you about the Pattern. ...Not that I think it would have made any difference in the long term; Dworkin has shown no hesitation about forcing people on to it. But it would have at least bought you a bit more time to prepare."
The Raven
Missing Some Marbles

Post by The Raven »

The Raven darts off to 'Study' the Blood Bird