07.09c: Dwarf in a Box

The goings on of courts
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Re: 07.09c: Dwarf in a Box

Post by Wyvern »

Alys stares at Dworkin with the sort of flabbergasted look* a human might give someone upon explaining that there's a tiger right outside and being told that it's just a kitty cat, really, nothing to worry about.

"Potential does not act," she finally says, after recovering some of her composure. "Nor do most people walk around charged with a Greater Power. Osmund himself may not represent a danger to Amber; the issue is much more that this... Lesser Power exists. What happens if an entity like Hivers were to gain such an attunement? Or Odin? Certainly, it cannot be used directly against you, but that does not make it less of a threat."

_____
* This is also the point where she finally drops concentration on her own Power.
khadjair
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

Cameron slides an arm around Osmund and glares at Dworkin. He opts not to say anything but there's actually a fair amount of rage showing quite clearly behind his expression.

"Lady Alys, we will be outside. I believe Osmund needs some fresh air and I believe I will be of little more use here." Strained voice, clipped words and a clenched jaw as he tries to help guide Osmund out. He will be waiting outside when Alys is done.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Dworkin won't wait for anyone to leave... "I am not afraid of those with potential for pattern. The ones who gain it are allies." He states simply. "If you believe the hivers are a threat to you, then deal with them." He will pause, "Besides, someone like Odin already has such a power."

He will settle in... "You should help that one. He has potential, but lacks the physical requirement. The potential has manifested differently than I expected. It is interesting. I suppose I will have to make a card."

Osmund will limp out of the room with Cameron, leaning on the orc heavily. Although, any damage seems psychological.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys looks at Dworkin, eyes narrowed, and then tilts her head. "As you wish. I will, then, bring it to your attention if I find anyone else with such 'potential' that is not already in the deck."

And she stalks out after Cameron. ((OOC: Assuming that Cameron is still departing; if not, let me know and I'll edit out the rest of this post.))

Once the three are in the tunnels leading back down, she comments, "Well, that went worse than I expected. But better than it could have; Osmund got the answer he wanted. And we now know a few things we need to do, first of which is..." She pauses, and frowns, "Hm. Actually - I have been assuming that Osmund's power came as a result of an attunement to something he found out in shadow. If that is correct, we will need to find and secure all such locations; Dworkin seems to have a blind spot regarding the... friendliness of those who can survive the Pattern, and I do not wish to see his protection extended to those who would be our enemies."
khadjair
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

Cameron nods in agreement. "I know you have no reason to trust Osmund but I do. And from here on out he can be considered under my protection officially. Its a gamble but messages need to be sent. Also, if he has a card made he should be in possession of a full deck as well. Its only fair, a concept I'd like to stick to with... Kin, at least for now."

He considers the rest. "There seems to be an implication that it is easier to walk the... Broken? Pattern than the main one, if I read the dwarf's comments correctly. We may be able to use that if we need to."

He leans over Osmund for a moment. "I'm sorry to talk about you as though you're not here. Will you be well?"

After a moment of consideration he will add "Who else can draw cards other than Dworkin, and who might be best to talk about the theory with? I'm a craftsman and an artist; I might be useful."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"I would expect Dworkin to provide him with a deck. Then again, Dworkin has surprised me once today; I believe the next people to talk to would be Rasanam or Darnell."
khadjair
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

"I would too, but given how dismissive he is I'm not sure he'd follow through. I'll have to speak with the others, I just don't trust Dworkin at all. He will only tell exactly what he feels necessary, and not what you ask or what you really need." He shakes his head ruefully.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"Speaking of what you need," Alys stops in the tunnels, "this seems a reasonably private place; only people looking for Dworkin would come this way."* And she explains about the encounter with Hivers.

_____
* Of course, paranoia... Alys has also surreptitiously set Tinder to guard and provide a bit of extra warning should someone be coming. Which they probably aren't.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Why those two?" Osmund will ask, starting to get back on his feet. They are shaky, but rapidly regaining strength.

"The hivers doesn't sound that bad. I mean, we have a lot of tactical advantages over them. From your trump, to the ease you walk through shadow." He will pause. "Did it try to steal your decks while you were there?"
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"Rumor has it that they are the only ones getting art lessons from Dworkin."

Alys shrugs. "Hivers is definitely a thing that can be dealt with. And, once people figure out how to use Pattern as a weapon, it will become a non-threat. But right now? As near as I can tell, it attempted to steal Aibne, deck and all. Had I not been there, it would likely have succeeded. Had Asai not acted decisively, we would likely have had to kill most of the village. In some ways, your sigil seems more suited to fighting this sort of thing - assuming that even an insubstantial power would disrupt sorcery?"

"And I would not be so quick to assume we have an advantage in mobility - we do not know where it started from, and whether what it did to that village represented a previously-laid trap... or just what it could project on short notice."