07.08j: Cavern Tour

The goings on of courts
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Re: 07.08j: Cavern Tour

Post by Wyvern »

Alys frowns, "From what I've heard of Pluto... yes, it would be a good idea to go meet him, but it would be a poor idea to do so when he's holding court*, unless you want to give the appearance of supporting his claims. Perhaps if we delay that by visiting Morek first? I would like to take a quick look at his books, at least; I don't expect to find anything untoward, but he's one of the few people** that's been able to send representatives to all of the festivities so far - and that makes it worth double-checking."

"On the topic of Sorcery***... the details would best be discussed in private, but the general sweep of it is... significantly more direct and obvious than the alternatives. Remember the 'Krampus' that Dworkin called up the other evening? That's a reasonable example, though its existence certainly involved a few other powers."

_____
* The lower case 'c' is quite audible here.
** Amberites excluded, for obvious reasons.
*** By which we mean Logrus.
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

Aibne nods a little and thinks briefly, before guiding Alys down an array of corridors. "Morek will probably be at his office this hour... he's not hosting his court, not if the Silver Plates are at the docks. Hmm. This way." He prowls the corridors with a practiced step, deftly avoiding almost everyone in Ht'gon as he leads Alys toward a plain-looking opening. He knocks on the door and waits patiently, as a well-groomed dwarf opens the door. "Hello. The lady Alystrakos wishes to meet Morek Silverbar in suitable privacy," he explains simply, though a little stiffly. The dwarf nods a little and closes the door, before opening it again a few minutes later, holding it wordlessly open for the two Amberites. The entry way is as opulent as the outside is spartan, incredibly expensively decorated, but not in an intimidating way. Just in a way that shows comfort, and a desire for the fine things in life.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys follows along, dropping any discussion of 'Sorcery' as the two approach Morek's domain. Instead, she spends the few minutes of wait time asking Aibne about the economy of Ht'gon, particularly with respect to things he'd actually know about - namely, the Shadow Striders' finances, how they compare to some of the other mercenary groups, and so on and so forth.
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

Aibne would have explained the sheer degree Morek bankrolls Ht'gon - if not 80% of it, then certainly damn close - and comment that he's just as much nobility as she or Morgana are. Admittedly, not in the same way - but that's a discussion best saved for later. Morek has a large mahogany desk in his office, and he looks up when the two Amberites get shown in and announced. "Ah, Aibne. Lady Alystrakos." He nods a little, and glances at the bear. "Aibne, would you prefer to wait outside? I'm sure the lady and I have much to discuss. You needn't fear for her in my care."

Aibne frowns a little, but will comply*, leaving the two of you alone.

"I heard you put on quite a show, milady. May I call you Alys?" His a very charming man, and yet for all of that he's almost too charming. "I've been expecting this for some time, actually. I'd be all too happy to accept**, of course. It is a little disappointing that Morgana did not come herself, but I am sure she is busy enough as is. Matters of state and whatnot. We both know how it is." He smiles a little, and then pauses, as if a thought occurs to him. "Ah, yes. You have some potent fire abilities, as I recall. Perhaps, if you aren't too busy with things, I could give you... commissions. There are many things that are not... suitable, for our furnaces, even those powered by magma springs, for various reasons."
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"No." Alys reaches out and catches hold of Aibne's wrist before he can depart. "Aibne has at least as much right to be here as I do."

"As for the purpose of my visit, I am simply spending some of my time to get to know the people of Ht'gon; of course, if there is some particular post you feel is open and should not be, you are welcome to bring up the topic..."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Morek will nod. "Of course. I wasn't asking Aibne to leave, I just thought that, being new to this, he may choose to step outside. I did not want to make him uncomfortable with our discussion."

"Forgive me, with the announcement last night of the official stewardship of Rebma, I had not thought there would be more of a delay. I only wished to help Morgana so that the other Amberites need not worry about the day-to-day maintenance." He smiles and lets the topic drop at that*.

"If this isn't business, then perhaps you would like to join me for lunch? I have quite a selection of dwarven mead, if you partake, as well as some imported delicacies, for just such an occasion. I have quite a personal chef, and he's been wanting to show off for a while."

Post by Wyvern »

Alys smiles, "And that is exactly why I wanted him to stay; how else can he be expected to learn?"

"Perhaps a light lunch; I must admit, I'm not exceptionally hungry at the moment." Alys will continue with polite small talk, asking about Morek's family - and deftly using that to fish for Morek's opinion on the state of Ht'gon's economy, engineering, and guard.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Morek is an expert at dropping information about himself. In a semi-real sense, he IS the Ht'Gon economy. he regulates the currency in the court, he deals with most of the good and importing, and even the things he doesn't sell pass through his werehouses and imports and use IOUs and coinage that he backs.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"A fascinating subject," Alys says (on the topic of economics). "We'll have to schedule a meeting to go over what you've accomplished in more detail sometime. But I think we've occupied enough of your time for today. Oh, and my compliments to your chef; the quail in particular was superb."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

The dwarf reluctantly lets you leave. He's polite, full of small talk, and gives a similar compliment. He's curt and disappointed.