07.07x2: Mage Towers

The goings on of courts
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

Re: 07.08?2: Mage Towers

Post by ShadowOfPreservation »

Lyra thanks Varrel for the food as she takes a few cookies. "I hope everything's been well with you." She takes a seat in one of the larger, more plush chairs as they wait.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"It's been an interesting week. Lazarus had someone attempt to kidnap him for a Remove Curse*, but they severely misunderstood who he was. Uh, then there's the dealing with Scion. He's been really upset about Anniah." He shrugs. "Lorn has been settling in. He's never lived a civilized life before. He's adjusting well."

"So, who was that strange man who interrupted your honeymoon?"

Post by Rasanam »

"Remove curse?" asks Ruby. "What curse?" ((OOC: bringing up this particular point because it occurs to me that other players are unlikely to know Lazarus' history...))
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Varrel Will give a brief explanation:

Lazarus used to be a fairly vile enchanter who was turned good by means of a cursed helm. The experience was significant enough that when the curse was removed, he changed his life-outlook back the hard way. It is why he has a lot of painfully dark magics and eccentricities, but has the loyalties of a paladin.
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

"I'm sure he was quite upset about Anniah...", Lyra comments wit ha scowl. "That man's a horrible monster. As for our unique wedding guest, once Lazarus arrives I'd be happy to go into it more in the interest of not repeating myself for now. Suffice it to say he's made our lives quite interesting and is loosely related to my rapid advancement in re-awakening my draconic heritage."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Only a short time later, Lazarus will descend. He's wearing fairly humble wizard-robes, in a not-garish orange. He looks to be in his mid-50's, and leaves the orc standing respectfully outside the room. "Lyra, good to see you again? and who is this?" He will bow lightly to Ruby. "You look familiar."
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

Ruby sets her tea aside and stands as Lazarus approaches, returning his bow with one that's only slightly deeper. "I am Ruby, of the Ruby Guild; since I have been away for quite some time, it seemed wise to meet with you before I go to reclaim my proper status tomorrow. While Lyra has filled in what she knows of the past five hundred years' events, that has been," Ruby turns to Lyra for a moment, "no offense meant - of somewhat limited focus, particularly as it concerns matters within my guild."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Ah..." Lazarus will call for a history book, and will give a short breakdown of what has happened to the Ruby guild in the past 500 years. He does include some of the rivalry with the Emerald guild, and the conflicting magics developed between the two*. He then offers Ruby a copy of the book...
Lunatic

"Since learning about Scion and many of his less than public practices...well, Rasanam and I have found ourselves in a much better position to do something about him. We could move against him directly but it would be of much more benefit to the city and the Ruby guild specifically if control transfers to someone better capable to manage it." Glancing over to Ruby she continues. "Our pursuit of a permanent solution lead us to locate Ruby here and we want to fully support her in reclaiming her guild. But such a power shift would go much smoother if she had as much support as we can muster from the other guilds. I'm hoping...that's where you'll come in."
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

"Thank you," Ruby says to Lazarus, as she accepts the history book, putting it into a pocket for later perusal. ((Dimensional storage is handy like that.))

At Lyra's comments, she shakes her head. "I'm not really looking for support from outside my guild. A lack of antipathy would be useful, and I'll want to be able to work well with Lazarus at least... but simply knowing a bit more about what sort of situation I'm walking into would be more helpful than having explicit out-of-guild support. I don't want anyone to fool themselves into thinking I'm just some outsider's puppet."

"For example," Ruby continues, "You've made several mentions of Scion being... problematic, but you haven't actually said why you don't like him. And what is Anniah? 'The hand that holds the ritual wand'? That doesn't sound like a particularly friendly artifact, but why is Scion upset about it?"

((OOC aside: Anniah's name literally translates as "The hand that holds the ritual wand", which is IC a fairly obvious reference to sacrificial blood magic. Which is, in turn, why Ruby is assuming the name refers to an artifact - because nobody would give that name to an actual person, right?))