07.08e Elements of Tea

The goings on of courts
misfit
Raving Mad

Re: 07.08e Elements of Tea

Post by misfit »

"My goals? Have I not already given you enough reason?" Harrune pauses and observers Daniel for a moment. "It would seem not. Good. I am pleased to see that you're not that naive. Alright, my goal is the betterment of Amber. Granted we all have our own definitions of what that is and our own ideas of how to bring that about. There are several ways I can see you helping with that."

"First, we are going too fast. We can't produce enough to be self sufficient. That means we need trade to survive. You seem like competent choices to help with that. Even I don't know what we will find to help you, so I can't ask you to commit to anything specific now. Depending on how it plays out we may want to consider diversifying your business to serve more than just the wealthy. All I ask in that regard is that you be open to possibilities.:

"Second, we have gotten too large to easily keep tabs on events in the city. It always helps to have more eyes. I'm not asking you to turn into spies. I just ask that you pass on whatever you think will be of interest that you happen to come across. I will need to set up a contact person for that."

"Third, I am seeing signs of certain people gaining too much financial power in the city. I don't want to see one family or faction gain control of too much of the economy. The best way to fight that is to make sure there are many thriving merchant families. Yes, this does mean that some day I may need a coalition to fight a financial war. I hope it never comes to that. If it does, I will ask for your help."

"Does that answer you question sufficiently? Do you have anything you would care to add?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Daniel Orr will nod. He will turn his attention to the go games, then back to the matter at hand after a few moments.

"The first person who can create an inexpensive cloth that doesn't need to be imported stands to gain tremendous power. The ability to produce is always better than the ability to import. My family has experience in making silks, but I suppose were a suitable source to be found, we could do others. You offer to lead Nathaniel through shadow to find either a better source for cloth, or a way to produce it locally?" He will look at you. "That has worth to us."

"Keeping an eye open would be in our best interest. Unless you mean you wish to formalize that our eye be as unbiased as possible. That would require a little more negotiation. Do you wish the information be in our interests, unfiltered, or unbiased? If what you offer for the first part is worth it, it could pay for the unbiased information."

"A financial war would be best fought with allies on your side. Any unnamed balance will go towards how much of such a war we are willing to take. I suspect over time, that will not be an issue."

"All such requests are acceptable... So, I suppose we will have to see what you find in shadow, won't we? And, of course, if we need help bringing it back here."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"I'm actually glad that you are open to other fabric options. Nathaniel was rather set on silk. I agree that cornering the market on something the common folk can afford would be very profitable. We will see what we find."

"I do need accurate infomation. I can't imagine how much it would it cost to give me information that was contrary to your own interests, so we'll keep that off of the table."

"Is there anything you'd like to add?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Daniel looks back to the games. Earth (green) has just played the final move before Anriki springs the (obvious to Harrune) trap, causing almost 1/4 of Earth's pieces to be removed from the board.

"Because of who you are and what you represent, I believe that information not in our best interest will be used for Amber and us, in the long run. Or at least, could be used as such. I can plan several moves ahead, but I don't always see the trap before it is sprung."

He will turn back. "I believe we will do well by your side."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"I am planning no traps, at least not for you. It is in my own best interest to treat my allies honestly and fairly. If one abuses their allies, one quickly has no allies. I believe you are wise enough to know that attempting dishonesty with me will not end well. As long as we treat each other fairly, then yes I think we can go far together."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"No... I mean, I am willing to accept a short term loss and trust that, through you, it will turn into a larger benefit." Daniel says. "Still... What... what kind of things would you ask? I believe I will be agreeing to your terms." he takes a breath. "But, what would you desire from us?"
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"I apologize for my misunderstanding."

"What do I desire from you? I desire help to build a strong economy in Amber. Building up your business and meeting the needs of the people would do your part to accomplish that. As I said, information would be helpful. Also, as I said, I might need allies if an economic war breaks out, which is unlikely but best to be prepared. Beyond that, I cannot say at this point as there are new players in the game here and I don't know enough about what directions they are likely to go. Too much is uncertain at the moment." Harrune sighs. "I would like to count you as an ally, not a slave or puppet. If I ask more in the future, it will be just that, asking. We can negotiate those points, if they arrive, at need."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Daniel will nod. He will look over at Anriki and note that the raccoon-dog has won all four games, almost exactly as Harrune predicted. "Of course... when those things manifest." he is clearly aware he is outclassed and would have difficult telling if this was a trap. It is taking a bit, but he is accepting he is not in control and that this seems to be a very good deal.

The rest of the tea is an exchange of pleasantries and shop-talk if Harrune is interested. Some talk of the logistics of local production instead of importing. He seems to think it could even work as a public works project, if the goal is political power... and one that would establish wealth, even if it's not wealth of goods.

(Economics without a standard money is... strange. however, goods are not regular enough to support a proper economy of that kind. Local goods could start to support such a system. I think... OOC: I didn't do that great in ECO 101.)
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Harrune will let the conversation wind down at this point. He will definitely stay for a bit of shop-talk (always good to get some new insights if possible). When tea is done he will excuse himself (and of course pick up the check) and move on to the next thing on his "to do" list.