07.08b: Skin Deep

The goings on of courts
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Re: 07.08b: Skin Deep

Post by Wyvern »

Alys will spend the next however-long-until-something-else-happens teaching the dragon Thari, using the troll's lesson for examples of the spoken word, and otherwise focusing on basic everyday words - the sorts of things that are likely to be most immediately useful.

She does swap over to normal ink, though, after discovering that burning letters into paper doesn't leave the other side usable. Still, by the time she's done, the dragon has several pages of "cheat sheets" with common translations between Draconic and Thari.
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

The hour rings out from the chapels around the city, a large, long cacophony of sounds pealing to announce the new time. The troll looks up and hurriedly wraps up, assigning small amounts of homework, as the children start pouring toward the door. The priest comes over after the children have all left, and nods at Aibne, who bows deeply. "Good morning to you, Aibne, Lady." He inclines his head respectfully, glancing down at the shadow dragon. "I see you are tutoring the child."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys looks up and says simply, "It needed doing."
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

He smiles a little and gives a gruff laugh. "I heard much good of you, Lady Alys. A splendid showing against Daq indeed; you'll make quite the police force." He winks at you, hiding a small smile. "I might have some coin riding on you. I'd heard tell that there may be a tournament for those who've taken Dworkin's Path later this evening."

Aibne looks up at that, staring at the two of you. "Begging pardon? What?"

"Oh, you didn't know? Disappointing, disappointing... perhaps it shan't be happening after all."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys shakes her head. "I would expect nothing beyond - perhaps - a few exhibition matches. And if someone's spreading rumors of more than that... well, the interesting question is, why? Who would stand to gain from seeing people disappointed?"
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

"Perhaps it is a test," the troll muses, reaching up to remove his cap, revealing a shining diamond skull. "Apologies, I was getting hot. Now..." He says, thinking. "I'd heard tell of it for near a fortnight now. Mayhap they plan on seeing how you stand against societal pressures and unseen obligations." He rubs his chin, the fake skin on his face peeling off slowly as he does so. Aibne nods a little, musing about it, unconcerned as the diamond slowly comes more and more revealed.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Unfortunately, this is interrupted by a goblin in night black full-plate silently runs into the room.

He will bow lightly to the two Amberites, "Please forgive the intrusion but the Lady Priscilla is in the entry hall to see you both."

He will then nod to the preist, and will vanish when no one is looking at him*.

Post by Wyvern »

"If so," Alys tells the troll, her voice backed by a bit of growl that wasn't there before, "It is in exceedingly poor taste." Whatever else she was going to say on the topic is - perhaps fortunately - interrupted by the goblin's arrival.

Instead, she turns to the little dragon (for whom she has been transcribing the conversation into Draconic), and says, "I need to go now, but I will stop by sometime this evening." Then - once that sentence is written down - she puts writing implements away and stands up, waiting only a few moments for any last words from dragon or troll before departing the room.*

_____
* I assume, from the goblin's abrupt departure, that there is some obvious location for where Priscilla is waiting. Alys will head for wherever said obvious location is.
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

The dragon nods and smiles at her as she leaves, while Aibne blinks in confusion and leaps up. "A-ah, um. My apologies, Father, we'll talk another time!" he says, practically running out of the room to follow Alys, looking a little worried.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"I find," Alys comments enroute, "this talk of a tournament... disturbing. Do you think it might be wise to ask Rogbar to look into this?"