07.07b: Greek Fire

The goings on of courts
Joshua
Gibbering

Re: 07.07b: Greek Fire

Post by Joshua »

"Well, part of the issue is one of face. Even with the stories from earlier tonight, I do not 'slink back into my corner'. So, perhaps something light? Although, my gang would be quite upset if I held back." He shrugs, wrapping his cloth around his palm like a boxer. "Skinfaxi is interested in you, but... He doesn't know how to hold back." He grins, clicking his iron-shod boots on the ground. "It has been a while since I have played with a true... Forgive me, but where I am from they would be called kobolds. That means something else here."
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys' smile is ever so slightly less hostile this time. "So that is the way of it, then. Well. Just one minor thing I need to do first..."

She takes a few steps forward and looks up at the guards atop the fort's walls. "Zaruk! Anaris!* You have a job to do, and that does not mean standing there watching me. Right now, a Leviathan could sneak past you - get back to guarding, or I'll set Tinder on you and have him keep watch in your place!"

That settled** Alys turns her attention back to Daq Nott. "And what, then, do you mean by the term? ...Oh, and whenever you're ready, feel free, though I'd advise against holding back..."

_____
* Two of the redcaps are actually the guards assigned to the post - which is why Alys knows their names.
** Assuming it is, of course; if the guards aren't inclined to do their jobs... Alys isn't inclined to making idle threats, either.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Daq shrugs and quotes, "Although usually invisible, a kobold can materialize in the form of an animal, fire, a human being, and a candle. There's a lot of unseelie fae in the fort, and those who aren't can usually be mapped to some variation."

He waits until the moment you start to reply before rushing you. He's a LOT faster than his stats would indicate, clearly a runner but also quite a bit of supernatural speed along with that*.

Post by Wyvern »

Alys' reply is merely "Hm." She steps to the side, blocking the Redcap's strike with her forearm... and then, as the cloth from his fist wraps itself around her arm, swings down - slamming Daq into the ground before Skinfaxi* has fully detached itself from the Redcap's fist.

A moment later and a half-step back, and she's got a foot on Daq's shoulder and his arm held straight up behind him, while Skinfaxi struggles to escape her grip and snake up her arm.**

"A decent attempt," Alys comments, "but that kind of speed does you no favors against a truly skilled opponent - you did not leave yourself enough room to defend against my counterattack."***

"And now, since you were polite - this time - I will offer you a choice: you may yield - or you may burn."

_____
* The cloth / stranglecord, in case it wasn't clear.
** It is worth noting that one of Alys' talents is to make things look easy, even when they're not - and that is in play here. Daq may be utterly outclassed, but he's still a serious opponent that can't be taken out casually. And, indeed, the current situation is not a take-out - Daq can easily escape the hold if he's willing to break his own arm, for example.
*** Translation: Going full offense against a truly superior opponent is an easy way to lose very quickly. Consider the example on p88 of the Amber main rulebook - and that wasn't even with the weaker character going all out gonzo attack the way Daq was!
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

There is a slight snap as Daq dislocates his shoulder* (and most of his hand, and probably his elbow) to pull out of Alys' grasp. The fight is clearly over as his nurses the injury. "Skinfaxi, heel!" he orders, and the cord reluctantly returns to him.

"This is over," he will grumble. "You are..." He will take a breath and choke back something like pride. "You are more dangerous than I am."**
*: My fight breakdown: Daq has Amber level warfare and strength. The speed trick gave him perhaps a +5 to that, plus another +5 for using a high point weapon. Knowing that most characters has Warfare in the teens, he went all out or in this case accepted he'd take a hit in exchange for getting the cord around Alys. Let's say that gave him a +5 (or so) for the attack, but it meant a -5 to resist whatever counterattack Alys hit him with. Alys's warfare and strength are a bit higher than that. She beat him a little defending on the attack, but then her counter grapple beat him a LOT. As Daq has Amber level warfare, he isn't taken out in one hit so has an option to keep fighting. In this case he's taking the injury to walk away. (He could have tried to continued to grapple, but he's also outclassed in strength.)
**: While he could have done something, taking someone who outclasses you by 75 points head on is kinda dumb.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys nods politely, and tosses Skinfaxi back to the Redcap when he orders it to back down.

Then she beckons Kizak to follow, and simply starts walking towards the fort. She pauses at the entrance, though, and calls back, "One thing you may wish to keep in mind: the only reason you were still alive to challenge me tonight is that I do not consider murder to be acceptable behavior."

And she walks through the gate without waiting for a reply.

_____
An extra note on warfare: Alys generally prefers to hold back and only demonstrate a warfare of around 15 - more or less the value Daq assumed he was dealing with. In this case, she didn't, due to a variety of factors - relatively few witnesses, that she finds Daq annoying and wanted to get a completely clean and decisive win, some degree of blowing off steam after having spent several hours underwater, probably even a bit of showing off in front of Kizak...
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Kizak will follow, a little overwhelmed. "I haven't seen someone move like that in..." he is still a little pale from it. "So... what happens now?" he asks... just a touch intimidated.

(OOC: And BTW, rumors of the "powerful elder kobold" are already starting to circulate. The orcs assume a D&D style kobold, the fae assume the shapeshifting brownie.)
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"I," Alys says, leading Kizak through the fort and into the tunnels, "Am going to my quarters to retire for the evening, hopefully with no further interruptions along the way. You are coming with me, because you are cute, and you are here, and - unlike some others I could name - you have offered me neither insult nor disrespect."

"And..." Alys trails off and pauses in an unlit section of tunnel, "Oh dear; I really have not been at my best this evening. It seems I owe you an apology: I know how much it annoys me when someone simply assumes that I will want him warming my bed, and yet here I've been making exactly the same assumption."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Kizak blinks in disbelief. "Uh... okay..." He says simply. Before blushing and nodding. "I... of course."

(OOC: Cut to next morning?, which is already in another thread.)
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

The next morning, Kizak will wake to find that Alys is already up and about - though she's still in the red dragon form* she's decided to show him.

She takes a few moments to finish writing before heading back to kneel on the bed next to Kizak. "<Good morning! I'm glad you woke up before I had to leave; I expect to be out until the festivities this evening - which you are, of course, invited to attend. Until then, I've got just one small favor to ask - I've written a letter** to Ashara, and would appreciate it if you would deliver it.>"***

_____
* See link in signature; Alys' character sheet got updated recently to include this new form.
** The letter details her plans for a training program, including that she would like to use this to foster cooperation between the courts, and would appreciate it if Rebma could spare at least a few instructors, as well as some potential trainees - Alys intends to pair up most of those with people from city guard groups near the docks, connections which should be of some significant value to Rebma's law enforcement. If Ashara wishes to discuss the matter further, she (or a representative) would be welcome to show up at the festivities at Ht'gon this evening - or, if that is not convenient, send a messenger by then to arrange for a meeting at whatever time and place would work for Ashara.
*** Speech is in draconic, of course.